X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cxc21
    • Mar 2008

RSP-1069 and connections to PC/Mac video output

Did anyone hook up their PC/Mac through a DVI to HDMI connector to the RSP -1069? Is there now a build in pass through option for hdmi video, or does everything below 1080p always gets put through the scaler? All my HD video is send from my Mac to a 720p projector in 1280x720 60fps but I also need pass through for other video resolutions for games and surfing. A scaler may cause a lot of headache when dealing with standard PC resolutions. hc
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I believe all new 1069's are shipping with the full HDMI board bypass installed. This bypasses the scaler completely.

If you get a version without the bypass board installed, you can upgrade the firmware to the new version. This gives you a pseudo bypass. It still passes through the scaler, but does not scale the signal. IE, you still have the issues of always being an RGB HDMI output, but the resolution is pass through.

That said, I haven't tried it with non-TV resolutions. Your best bet is to make sure you get one with the full HDMI bypass installed.

Kevin D.

Comment

• cxc21
      • Mar 2008

Thanks, have to make sure I find a new one. Does the bypass affect all HDMI inputs or can you select a specific one? All what I read about the scaler issue seems to indicate that the scaler is completely disabled permanently? If that is true it's basically an over prized switch box as far as the video goes. I wouldn't need a scaler anyway, I would just stick with Rotel for the sound. All I would really want is a setup which resolves 5.1 from the optical out of the Mac and feeds it to my multichannel amp at excellent quality. Highend grafik cards are excellent in dealing with HD material any way you want, but good audio from a Mac/Pc is another issue. hc

Comment

• esaleris
        • Dec 2007

My experiences:
        1. The bypass is universal. If you enable it, it will disable the HDMI scaler for ALL HDMI inputs universally, but continue to transcode for all analog inputs for HDMI.
        2. It is an expensive switch box. Despite paying for it, it's all I needed for video, to be honest. My higher-quality video is always on 720p or 1080p and my lower-quality stuff (PS2, etc) wouldn't gain that much from a scaler.
        3. Audio quality is absolutely brilliant. It's my opinion that it's much smoother and a more cohesive soundstage than the RSP-1068. Every time I turn it on, I'm amazed. Low volume, high volume, any genre, any source, all with gusto.

At this point, the only problem I have is that I cannot correctly pass a 1080p DVI signal from my Mac mini to my video. It's not the cables, but I suspect is actually an EDID issue, because I pass 1080p Xbox 360 just fine. But the thing is, when I directly connect the Mac to the source, the 1080p is freakin' hard to read on the screen - too small. So I'm not sure how useful that would be.

Still, eventually I'd like to get it figured out.

Comment

• cxc21
          • Mar 2008

Did you try SwitchResX - 3.8.1 on the Mac Mini? It should allow you to adjust the res and freqs to what the monitor likes if it doesn't provide proper feedback. In my case I now that the projector just deals fine with the Mac resolutions other than HD when I hook it up directly, so pass through should be fine. hc

Comment

• cxc21
            • Mar 2008

I forgot to ask: which multichannel amp are you using?

Comment

• cxc21
              • Mar 2008

Well after checking into the whole 1069 issues (the RSX-1057 is similarily problematic in the video department) on the board looks like Rotel really dropped the ball, stumbled and fell over their own feet with their video processors. Hope they come out with something justifying the high prices and their reputation. Maybe they should stick to amps. I 'll probably get an Anthem AVM50 which not only supports all HDMI resolutions, put also all PC monitor resolution up to 1600x1200.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"