X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ANWKLO
    • Nov 2007

RA-1062 or RA-1070?

I have a receiver with pre-out for front speakers. I am planning to buy an integrated amp RA-1062 or RA-1070. Are there any input for my receiver to connect with the integrated amp? There is no main-in input of RA-1062/RA-1070. Someone told me the receiver pre-out can be connected with the AUX input of RA-1062 / RA-1070. Is it correct please?

Besides, my speakers are vintage Polkaudio Monitor 5. Which amp (RA-1062/RA1070) is best for the speakers please?

• srb
    • Oct 2004

No Rotel integrated amplifier has what is called an "Home Theatre", "HT bypass" or "HT pass-through" input. An input of this type in an integrated bypasses the preamp stage and volume control, and is essentially a direct input to the power amp section.

That is the preferable way to go, but just not available with Rotel.

While it is true that you can plug your receiver's pre outs into an auxilliary input on an integrated, that is not the best setup for a couple of reasons:

1. You are sending the signal through yet another preamp stage and volume control.

2. You would have to set the integrated amp's volume control to a preset level when listening to home theatre sources.

Most people who add an integrated with HT pass-through, plug their music sources directly into the integrated, which is of presumably better quality than a typical home theatre receiver. The receiver is not in the loop when listening to music.

Then when they are listening to home theatre, the receiver is controlling the volume, and because the integrated has the HT input, the volume control setting on the integrated is irrelevant.

One possiblity is to add a power amp to your receiver, which would most likely give you lower distortion and better speaker driver control with better bass. That being said, although I added a high quality power amp to my Rotel receiver, I am still not fully satisified as the receiver's preamp section is now the limiting factor.

My solution will be either an integrated with HT input, or a 2 channel preamp with HT input (as I already own a power amp).

Addressing your last question, the Rotel RA1070 is a more powerful, higher current amplifier than the RA1062, although with your 8 ohm 90dB speakers, the difference would not be as great as with someone who has 4ohm 86dB speakers.

I cannot think of any good integrated amps with an HT input at the RA1062's retail price.
    Last edited by srb; 22 November 2007, 21:56 Thursday.

Comment

• gianni
      • Nov 2002

If you might consider going to separates, Parasound has a new preamp (2100) in the New classic line which would be perfect for your needs and can be had in the 500-600 dollar range. The 2100 has many very useful features and is very flexible. Then try audiogon for a good used amp like a rotel 1070.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"