• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charlie
    • Oct 2007

Advice B&W Rotel Based HT

Hello -
    I'm new on this forum.
    I was wondering if I can use your help and advise. I'm trying to set up our new home theater (wife and I) and my primary things are:
    B&W 703 speakers (pair)
    HTM7 Centre Channel
    DS3 Speakers (Surround Sound) (pair)
    REL T1 Subwoofer
    Rotel RSP-1069 Processor?
    Rotel RMB-1075 Amplifier? or Rotel RMB-1077 Amplifier?
    Rotel RCC-1055 Changer

I had always had integrated receivers, but know that I have been reading and trying to educate myself more about buying separate component works better than buying one whole receiver. Here are my ideas and please correct me and advise me how and what is the best way to do this. Definitely I will get the 703 speakers, HTM7 centre channel, and Rotel RCC-1055 changer and I was thinking getting a Denon 4308CI or Integra DTR-8.8 instead the Rotel 1069 processor (I got to have HDMI 1.3 , deep color and all the new features Denon and Integra offer as receivers) and there is something else to, I would prefer have the Rotel RMB-1077 amplifier instead the Rotel RMB-1075 amplifier, the reason is because the Rotel RMB-1075 amplifier is kind of bulky on my audio rack plus it generates more heat. The 1077 amplifier is compact and has the new ICE power. One big question for you... Can all this works for me without the REL T1 Subwoofer? The salesman at the store dealer was saying that I have to have this subwoofer in order to hear very good dialog and sound coming from the speakers. The salesman also said something else about that the Rotel RMB-1077 will have configuration issues? with the REL T1 subwoofer (i think he is trying to sell me the older Rotel 1075 to go with the REL T1 subwoofer) Do you have in mind a different Subwoofer that I can go for? I will try to stay in between $500.00/$800.00 US price range.
    Please guide and advise me. Your recommendation will be so great to me. I'm new doing this and i know when i see the salesman he will be kind of upset because I keep changing my mind about all this configuration, but I'm sure of myself that I will spend my money very wisely with your approach and more secure and confidence when I go see this salesperson. All this electronic gear that will purchase my wife and I, will have it for a LONG, LONG time and I just want to make sure that we will buy the right equipment. Thank you so much in advance and my sincere appreciation for your help.
    Sincerely,
    Charlie
    Note: I never new about going "separates" until now. I think is very good approach doing this (not just buying a receiver)
  • btf1980
    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Charlie
    I got to have HDMI 1.3
    Not a sarcastic question in the least, but why do you have to have HDMI 1.3?

Also, I don't think it's worth it to go for the rmb-1077 over the rmb-1075. The 1077 is over twice the price of the 1075, and it's a 7 channel amp, so unless you plan on going up to 7.1 in the future, you'll be wasting two channels. So you're spending all this money just because it's smaller? Get a new stand or rack and keep the 1075 ventilated. Problem solved.
    A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Ferres
      • Jan 2007

There are up coming 5 and 6 channel versions of the rmb-1077 if you can wait a little. You can get all the benefits of the digital amp at a much lower price tag.

May even run cooler and be more energy efficient than the 1077.

Comment

• Linki
        • Aug 2007

I always prefer listen before I decide, maybe I was lucky but with my dealer I always had the chance to take stuff home and do a real AB comparison in my own environment. HT wise I would say you will always benefit of having a sub but again try it at home and if you then think its worth the money then the decision is easy I would think.

Good Luck.

Ps I love the RMB 1077 :T ! and I have also heard about the 5 and 6 channel versions
        and I would also like to know why you need HDMI 1.3??

Comment

• Charlie
          • Oct 2007

Thanks all you guys for your input, I will go for the 1075! Questions for you: I live on a small apartment and will buy a house in about 6 to 8 months. My apartment measure is 13 feet wide by 20 feet long. The salesman toll me that he will charge me about $1,380 for all the cabling. CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY! I need to know from you what kind of cables (model etc.) I need to used for the (2) 703's, Centre Channel HTM7 and REL T1 Subwoofer, I will take care of the Surround speakers (I will use 12 gauge bare wire?) Please advise. Thanks

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Thanks all you guys for your input, I will go for the 1075! Questions for you: I live on a small apartment and will buy a house in about 6 to 8 months. My apartment measure is 13 feet wide by 20 feet long. The salesman toll me that he will charge me about $1,380 for all the cabling. CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY! I need to know from you what kind of cables (model etc.) I need to used for the (2) 703's, Centre Channel HTM7 and REL T1 Subwoofer, I will take care of the Surround speakers (I will use 12 gauge bare wire?) Please advise. Thanks
            Take my advice. Go to http://www.catcables.com/ (this forum's sponsor) to get your interconects. Your dollar will go much further there then you delear. Promise.

Dont let your dealer try and sell you ultra expensive speaker cable. If he does simply say "ill buy what ever you recomend if you can pass a blindfolded test 10 out of 10 times with me switching between your cables and stuff which costs less "

There is a point where quality cables make a difference, but everything after that point is simply a way to take your money. CAT cables takes you to the point of the best you can buy for the best price while not taking advantage of you.

Speaker cables are a personal pref, and i will say only buy what you feel makes a difference you can hear.

Comment

• Ted
              • May 2006

I'm trying to set up our new home theater (wife and I) and my primary things are:
              B&W 703 speakers (pair)
              HTM7 Centre Channel
              DS3 Speakers (Surround Sound) (pair)
              REL T1 Subwoofer
              Rotel RSP-1069 Processor?
              Rotel RMB-1075 Amplifier? or Rotel RMB-1077 Amplifier?
              Rotel RCC-1055 Changer
              Charlie,
              Welcome to the forum! Here's my 2 cents worth for your system. 1st, I'll say you have some really nice equipment on your wish list. With that said, you may really think about the 703/HTM7 combination. If go over to the B & W forum, you can find a lot of posts with people complaining about this set-up. A lot of people think the 703 are an odd ball speaker for B & W in that it does not have a matching center speaker (the 703 has a FST mid-range and the HTM7 does not). This seems to be a sore area for a lot of B & W lovers. If this is for movies only, it may not be as big of deal, but for multichannel music, the tonal quality without the FST in the HTM7 for many is unacceptable. Perhaps, you would be more happy with the 704 and HTM7, which many people feel are a better pairing. I do think the 703 are great speakers (I own a pair for 2 channel), so I have nothing against them, I'm just going by other people's experience.

From what I've read, there are many very happy 1077 users here, many having had the 1095 (the 1075's big brother), and still liking the 1077 more. I'm not sure what "configuration" problems you'd have, most agree the 1077 is great. As someone else noted, if you aren't in a hurry, Rotel has some new amps using the 1077's technology coming out in a 5 channel (I think) set-up so that may work for you too.

Personally, I have no experience with the Rotel 1069 (or 1066, 1068 ), but I'd take the sound quality of the Rotel over the bells and whistles of a Denon or Yamaha any day. I had a nice Yamaha receiver and replaced it with a Rotel 1057 and was like, "Wow, that's much better!!" ;x(

REL makes some nice subs from what I've read. You could also go with a Velodyne or SVS. Subs seem to be a weak spot for B & W, so you may choose to avoid them.

Check out the B & W forum on the 703 and HTM7, it will give you some food for thought... Good luck!
              Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• EdAdams3
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ted
                Charlie,
                Welcome to the forum! Here's my 2 cents worth for your system. 1st, I'll say you have some really nice equipment on your wish list. With that said, you may really think about the 703/HTM7 combination. If go over to the B & W forum, you can find a lot of posts with people complaining about this set-up. A lot of people think the 703 are an odd ball speaker for B & W in that it does not have a matching center speaker (the 703 has a FST mid-range and the HTM7 does not). This seems to be a sore area for a lot of B & W lovers. If this is for movies only, it may not be as big of deal, but for multichannel music, the tonal quality without the FST in the HTM7 for many is unacceptable. Perhaps, you would be more happy with the 704 and HTM7, which many people feel are a better pairing. I do think the 703 are great speakers (I own a pair for 2 channel), so I have nothing against them, I'm just going by other people's experience.
                This situation also impacted my theater setup. I purchased the 703's, HTM7 & M1 surrounds and RSP 1098, Velodyne DD15 sub, Sunfire TGA 5400 amp. After I set up the equipment everything sounded awesome at first"compared to the crap I was using before" then I began to notice the difference betwen the center and the mains especially while listeneing in 3ch,dd,and most other surround modes. Researching the problem on B&W forums I noticed many other 703 owners with the same rant. My B&W dealer offered me a trade up to the HTM3 and after a long wait on the unit to come in due to shipping damage I finally installed the speaker in my system. All I can say is WOW! This thing is a perfect match to the 703's, Plus the added power handling really makes my theater open up. All 3 front speakers are tonally matched now. If I were in your shoes, at least consider the HTM3 over the HTM7 it is a bit more money but it definately is worth every penny.
                Rotel, Sunfire, B&W, Velodyne

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"