X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • likwidsh0k
    • Apr 2007

signal sensing amp at low volume?

Got a rb976mkII and the auto-sensing is great to use for the surrounds so it powers up when any surround material is played. Worked great until I decreased the volume to a bit quieter. Sometimes it switches off then straight back on again or I have to turn up the volume. Is this normal? I thought it would be a signal yes/no thing not dependant on volume unless that varies the signal strength (still a newbie lol).

Thanks,

Andrew
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Is there a pot buried somewhere exposed to the outside?
    They typically have a sensitivity adjustment on them. I know my 1050 does which resides in the front heat sinks, so it can be tweeked to the application.
    In some cases its easiest just to set the switch to external trigger, and turn it on for surround, and leave it off for "stereo" or 2 channel duty.

Comment

• likwidsh0k
      • Apr 2007

Hey soundhound,

Originally posted by soundhound
      Is there a pot buried somewhere exposed to the outside?
      Not much electrical knowledge here I am afraid, but nothing external like that I can see. Level adjusts on the front. Inputs, speaker connections and trigger/signal sense on the back.

They typically have a sensitivity adjustment on them. I know my 1050 does which resides in the front heat sinks, so it can be tweeked to the application.
      That would be great. Does that mean cracking open the box? If so I might just have to keep playing it loud instead

In some cases its easiest just to set the switch to external trigger, and turn it on for surround, and leave it off for "stereo" or 2 channel duty.
      Yeah its looking that way, for me to use the trigger instead to turn it on every time because I am using an rsp976 for stereo and HT duties. I thought this was the perfect solution though, with an rb980bx for mains and the rb976 for surrounds - I am looking into a 12v trigger solution for the old rb980 (or just leave it on all the time) and then use the auto-sensing for the rb976. That way whenever I switch on the processor stereo amp triggers which is cool for normal TV or CD, put on any 5.1 and the rb976 auto-senses for surrounds (or zone 2 in the future).

It seems to be around the volume of 45 that it cuts out, over that and it works fine.

Thanks

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Unfortunately there's a threshold it has to pass to turn on and any signal below that will not keep the amp on. Even long passages with little sound in the surround channels will turn it off as well. This is the same reason I don't recommend using the auto-switching on subs either.

The level pots on the front just adjusts gain and won't effect the turn on circuit. Are you using all channels on the 976? You could run the center output to the 976 (even with no center channel hooked up). That should have enough output to keep the 976 on.

Kevin D.

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

I had just assumed (my bad) it was a sensitivity control. I hadn't any need to adjust so left it. I know my sub has a sensitivity control circuit.

Comment

• likwidsh0k
            • Apr 2007

Hi Kevin,

That sux and the slient passages in surrounds is a good point. Yeah I didn't really explain that too well, when I said surrounds I sort of meant all other 5.1 channels surrounds and center. But I am sort of on a budget at the moment so was planning to use the stereo speakers on my TV for the center channel for now, and when I can afford the center that should keep the amp on like you said. Just have to keep an eye on the minimum volume when playing movies, but who doesn't crank it when they watch movies

Thanks
            Last edited by likwidsh0k; 05 June 2007, 19:59 Tuesday.

Comment

• chrispy35
              • Feb 2004

Couldn't find a manual for the rb976mkII so I have to ask:

Isn't there a trigger input on it?

Chris P.

Comment

• likwidsh0k
                • Apr 2007

Hey Chris,

Yeah there is a 12v trigger but thought the auto-sense would be handy to turn it on only when I need it. Listen to music more than HT and Free-To-Air HD TV content is very limited in 5.1 here atm. Ugly Betty and Brothers & Sisters but not CSI or any cool action Cop/Law shows? What the?? Lost is though and Heroes has just started 5.1. And no PLII on my rsp976. I thought there would have been alot more HD TV in 5.1 so I didn't see the need and I like my music just stereo. But I am looking forward to getting some live concert DVDs. So I think for now the rb976 probably won't be on that much.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"