X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Sunfire vs Parasound amp

I was looking for a great amp (under $1k) for my B&W Nautilus 805s that are being fed by my Marantz SR6400 for the time being. After much review and audition, I am considering a Sunfire Stereo Amp (300x2) or the Grand Cinema (200x5). Definite pros are they run cool (I have a small baby who will learn to crawl soon). The other option is Parasound's HSC line. I saw some up on audiogon like the HCA-1200II (205x2) or the HSC-1205A (140x5). I hear a lot of great things about Parasound, but they tend to run hot.

Comments from current or past owners. Thank you.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Audioqueso,

I have the 1205A and have owned it for a few years. IMO, this is one fine amp, but I've heard very nice things about the Sunfire amps as well.

I'm not aware of whether you plan to buy new or used, but, if new, Parasound comes with a 10 year warranty. But, yes, they run extremely HOT.

Again, I've kind of been on the sidelines of audio gear of late, but, if I'm recalling correctly, the 805's drink up all the power you can feed them, so their higher rating in this regard might be a factor, although tests have shown the 1205A to put out 157 watts/channel when all five channels are driven simultaneously.

My current speakers are rated at only 86 decibels efficiency, so they're on the low side. The Parasounds have no problem driving them loud, but my room is only 16 X 18.

I love my Parasound, but I'd be overjoyed to own a Sunfire as well, except during the winter when my amp warms the house. h: h:
    Keith

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Danbry39
      I love my Parasound, but I'd be overjoyed to own a Sunfire as well, except during the winter when my amp warms the house. h: h:
      That's too funny. I'm in Miami so I have no need for the extra heat. lol
      That's one thing that is kinda making me lean towards Sunfire. The Parasound and 800 series sound nice, but I know the Parasounds get hotter than Rotel, and the Rotel I had got way too hot for my safety standards.

Comment

• Fishy
        • Jul 2004

What about going for something like the Bryston PowerPacs or the Flying Mole range of digital amps?

Fish

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

I can't find any Bryston under $1k. So no. And no digital amps under $1k either.

That's why I said I've narrowed it down to Sunfire or Parasound, but I wanted to get some opinions from current or past owners.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I'd go Parasound...just IMO
            Jason

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by aud19
              I'd go Parasound...just IMO
              Why? What do you like about your Parasound vs a Sunfire?

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Well it's been a couple years ince I listened to their offerings but if I remember correctly Sunfire tends to make big power at the expense of a little noise. I prefer scalpels to hammers in those sorts of situations. Really though it's personal preference, they both make great amps :T If I was upgrading my Rotel gear I'd likely go Bryston as well though I'd stay away from digital amps though.
                Jason

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Check with Jimmy of Next Level AV (sponsor, top of page ).... see what he can do for you :T
                  Jason

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Very interesting information aud19. That's something I didn't know about Sunfire. I always found them to be dead quiet, but then again, I've never owned one so I don't have long term experience with them.

Comment

• Fishy
                      • Jul 2004

OK yes the Bryston's are not cheap, but that's why PMC speakers went to Flying Mole for their active speakers.

Bryston's poewrpacs in the UK are circa 700 for the PP60, where as the Flying Moles are circa 340. Big difference.

Fish

Comment

• eduardw
                        • May 2004

I do not think the temperature of an amp would cause to much danger to your baby, I think that the current on the speaker terminals can cause much more problems.

Eduard

Comment

• audioqueso
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

The Rotel I just had (RB-991) burned my finger. And it was in open-air, not an enclosed cabinet. I want to hear from owners whether it was warm or hot. To me, that will make a difference.

Comment

• Kens1
                            • Mar 2005

I'd stay away from digital amps though
                            A few threads in this forum state that Digital amps are where it's at with all types of speakers. I'm interested to hear one now.

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kens1
                              A few threads in this forum state that Digital amps are where it's at with all types of speakers.
                              Hmmmm, I'd be careful about that statement.

There are a lot of intriguiging possibilities with the digital amp technology, but there aren't that many - yet - that have been written up as being "high-end sound". The few I've come across are Tact Audio's 2150, Yamaha's MX-D1, Sharp's SM-SX100 and PS Audio's HCA-2. Actually the HCA-2 is a hybrid: class A input stage and class D output. And with that "high-end" tag, comes high end cost: the Tact and Yamaha are both $4,000-5,000, and the Sharp's MSRP is (are you sitting down?) $15,000. The HCA-2 is more reasonable at about $1,700 but that's still a nice chunk of discretionary capital.

Don't misunderstand - I'm not knocking digital amps. And I'm definitely not saying stay away from them! I really like the idea of a 1 or 2 rack-unit-high component that weighs 30 lbs, generates little or no heat and sounds as good as a Krell or Mark Levinson product (I'm not sure they do, yet). But I really hesitate to say they are everything to all speakers, at least right now.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Actually, to keep from hi-jacking this thread I'm going to start a digital amp thread in Audio Hideout. Meet me over there. :later:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• audioqueso
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

Ok, so I've never actually A/B'ed a Parasound amp to a Sunfire, but Parasound just got shot down big time by a dealer here in Miami. They were a dealer of both and told me not to bother with Parasound cause for the price Parasound doesn't hold a candle against Sunfire. Anyone here ever A/B'ed the two?

I've heard the Sunfire with the 803/4 and it sounded great, but I have the 805s. I've heard the Parasound with 804s, but once again, never with the 805s. So both times it sounded great, but it was the 804s or greater... not my 805s.

Comment

• mariachi
                                    • Aug 2003

That dealer sounds bitter. I think Parasound probably doesn't allow him to carry the line anymore. It seems that Parasound wants only custom installers/dealers to handle their business now.

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Yeah I hate it when dealers/salesmen try to shoot down other brands as crap, especially when I know they're not... Is Sunfire "better" than Parasound...? Maybe. In his opinion is it? Quite likely. Is Parasound crap gear that can't hold a candle to Sunfire...? Ummmm no. That's like saying Honda's can't hold a candle to Toyata's or vice versa... I mean come on, a salesman that tells me that at a Honda or Toyota dealership is going to see me quickly leaving his dealership
                                      Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2001

Audio,
                                        Personally I prefer the Parasound and yes I do also hate it when dealers talk crap about other brands/dealers. It's all a matter of opinion.

Comment

• spyboy
                                          • Jun 2005

If heat is the important criteria, Sunfire wins hands down.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2004

Yeah... I agree with most of you about the dealer being bitter. Like I said, I've heard both and they both sound spectacular (nice choice of word, huh? lol) but I've never AB'ed them together.

Comment

• Patt
                                              • Feb 2005

If you didnt mind used something, Audiogon may be of interest to you. I have purchased a couple times from there and feel comfortable in doing so again.
                                              ......Pat

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

Absolutely. I have no problem buying used if it's from a reputable source like audiogon.

Comment

• mattburk
                                                  • Feb 2003

What about the gemestone or emotiva offerings?
                                                  www.mycstone.com
                                                  www.coverednow.com
                                                  www.biarenton.com

Comment

• pras1011
                                                    • Nov 2005

I know that this an old post but which amp is the better one:- Parasound 2205 or the Sunfire Cinema Grand?
                                                    Last edited by pras1011; 19 November 2006, 08:29 Sunday.

Comment

• slayer
                                                      • Dec 2005

Read some reviews about the Earthquake Cinenova Grande amps. They run very cool with no built in fans. 300+ wpc @ 8ohms. Very nice amps.
                                                      Parasound Halo C2
                                                      Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
                                                      Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
                                                      Oppo BDP103
                                                      Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
                                                      Xbox One
                                                      Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
                                                      Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
                                                      BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
                                                      Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
                                                      Energy Veritas 2.0i center
                                                      CAT Tiburon series side surround
                                                      Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
                                                      Velodyne SMS-1
                                                      Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2004

Wow... bringing my thread back from the dead, huh? lol I've own two Parasound amps since this thread was started. A 1500A (205x2), and then switched to a 1205A which is something like 140x5. I have heard the Sunfire since then (not in my exact setup). I liked it, but the Sunfire is a little brighter than I expected. The I find the Parasound to be a very comfortable warmth for all types of music ranging from classical to rap. No regrets with the Parasound.

Comment

• infinitiqx4
                                                          • Jan 2003

Well I've got both a parasound 2205 and 1500, all 7 channels with 4ohm loads. They run warm when you touch the tops, but not so hot I'd ever worry about burning anybody. The baby could certainly touch the front, that doesn't even get warm.

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"