X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

RLC-1040 - Error:Failed!

So today the mrs & kids were out of the house and I had some time to really crank my system for maybe the 3rd time since I've set it up. So I am "testing" it out to see how really loud it can go. The other couple of times I've only hit maybe 75 on the 1068 volume.

So today I went even louder. All the way up to 85 (damm that was LOUD!).

At this point I noticed some of the other light indicators on the RLC-1040 turning on & off. The "Line Boost" and "Overload" indicators would turn on & off. So I lowered the volume and then they turned off.

I raised the volume again to 85 and left it there. Again, the same thing. This time I left the volume at 85 and then not more than maybe 30 seconds and "Poof"!! Everything shut down! The 1040 screen read "Error: Failed".

I hit the power button on the 1040 and everything turned back on again and worked fine. Needless to say, I did not try the volume again at 85!

Has anyone experienced this? Can anyone tell me what exactly happened here?

I have everything connected to the 1040: 1068 pre/pro, 1060 dvd, 1095 amp, 1055 cd changer, 956 amp, and M&K Sub.

Thanks.
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3
  • Audiophiliac
    • Apr 2006

INteresting. Not sure what caused it, but a couple ideas. Voltage drop? I know the 1040 has adjustable thresholds for upper and lower voltage limiting. Meaning, you can tell it to shut down if the voltage gets too high or too low. Not sure where it is set from the factory...have you changed any settings?

The other idea would be current draw....not sure how it is programmed to deal with excess current....but between the 1095, 956, and possibly the sub....is it possible you could draw more current than the 1040 can pass (15 amps)?....again these are just ideas. I would put a call in to Rotel support....they will be glad to give you more insight.

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

Or maybe it's just trying to save your ears... 8O
      Brad

Comment

• Joey_V
        • Jul 2005

Wow.... your descriptions of the event leading up to the shutdown was kinda scary for me...

Better call Rotel. Good luck mate!
        Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
        Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Club1820
          • Jan 2006

Told the doctor that I get this pain when I do this. Doctor replied - Well don't do that! 8O

Yes, I don't think I would ever be listening to the volume at 85. It was LOUD. But its nice to know that if I ever wanted to open up a club, I could. The sound was still clear and the bass was tight and pounding. No distortion at all.

But then again it did go POOF!

The voltage was going down on the 1040 readout as I raised the volume. I think it was at 120-122 at lower volume. Then was at around 116 when it shut down. The 1040 is still set with its factory default settings.

I will go ahead an email Rotel and see what they tell me.
          Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• ICEMAN70
            • Apr 2006

Dude, volume at 75 on my system shakes the house. My paradigms love it, but neighbours don't. I can't imagine what would happen if i had my system at 85. I am suprised you still have your hearing. :E

Comment

• Club1820
              • Jan 2006

Yeah, it was loud. My mains are 4ohms - so if I understand correctly, I actually get 330 watts from my 1095 for these speakers.

Anyway, as I said - just testing the system out. Do not intend to listen at that level. Usually only listen at night when everyone is asleep. So we are talking 47-49, 51-53 MAX.

But nice to know it can go that loud

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"