rmb1075 enough power for paradigm studio 100s?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blues651
    • Nov 2005

rmb1075 enough power for paradigm studio 100s?

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and rotel seperates . My problem is that at lower volumes the 100s do not sound detailed like they do at mid to higher volumes where they really open up. Would a 1090 solve this problem or would a new pre-amp (1068) or something else serve me better as my next purchase.We're 75% music, 25% h/t, h/t side sounds awesom! Current setup: Onkyo sr700 as pre, Onkyo cp802 dvd-a, Rotel rmb1075, studio 100s front,cc570 center, monitor7s rears. Origanally bought the 1075 to drive the monitor7s , then 2 weeks later bought the 3 studios.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Blue,

It's hard to answer this definitively because there are so many unknowns here.. So some thoughts for you:

All speakers sound less detailed (to varying extents at lower volumes). This is a combination of the ears hearing characteristics which looses the ability to finely distinguish sounds at lower volumes and for many speakers electromechanical properties such as the voice coil - which is wound of wire and becomes non linear with very low movements...

But...

Amplifiers make a big difference to how detailed a speaker sounds and the Studio 100s you have love high current amplifiers... I know they will sound better on a RB-1090 if you can afford one..

But...

The detail has to be in the source and you haven't said what pre-amp and CD player you have (if its a DVD player is almost certainly got a lot less fine detail than a good CD player)

But...

Cables can also make a difference, with good cables between source and amp and amp and speaker all adding to the detail and low level resolution...

That aside - - enjoy the RB-1090...

Hope this helps

Geoff

Comment

• blues651
      • Nov 2005

Thanks Geoff, I think I'll start with new cables since mine are rather on the cheap side. Most of the source is digital music off of the satellite, and I do wonder what kind of improvement i could expect with a seperate pre-amp over my intergrated serving as the pre-amp? I do hope some paradigm owners chime in here as I think they could really help.

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

I had demoed an RSP-1068, with an RB-1080 through 100's, not sure of rev. and the sound was incredible. Had I not been so invested in the speaks I have I certainly would have considered the Paradigm. I bought the 1068. I am also 80% music, ht just because. The 1075 is a great amp, is the 1090 healthier, you bet. As Geoff says, its a tough call as to which 1st. If it were me, I would grab the 1068, combined with the 1075 it will get you closer to where you want to be I would suspect (that is the route I had taken). Down the road if you need "more" you can add the 1080, or 1090. I have also taken that route as I recently went from the 1080 to the 1090. Good luck, and enjoy the ride......

Comment

• Henk
          • Jun 2003

I owned Paradigm 60's and the 1075 was barely enough to drive them. I upgraded to the Studio 100's and tried them with the 1075, bi-amped and otherwise. No luck: insufficient power. Eventually I bought the Rotel 1090. Major improvement. My 1075 now drives the two rears (Studio 40's) and two channels are bi-amped to drive my Paradigm centre. Great sound!

Comment

• scient
            • Feb 2005

I too find the Studio 100's a bit weak being driven by my 1056 (75 wpc) and from what I have heard the 1080 or the 1090 should be a big boost. Myself - I am considering getting the 1080.

Comment

• blues651
              • Nov 2005

Great forum guys, good input hope to get more. As Soundhound says "enjoy the ride", I got a feeling it's going to be a long and costly one as I think I'm addicted!

Comment

• blues651
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Henk
                I owned Paradigm 60's and the 1075 was barely enough to drive them. I upgraded to the Studio 100's and tried them with the 1075, bi-amped and otherwise. No luck: insufficient power. Eventually I bought the Rotel 1090. Major improvement. My 1075 now drives the two rears (Studio 40's) and two channels are bi-amped to drive my Paradigm centre. Great sound!
                Henk, I was wondering what type of pre-amp you have? And in your opinion what made the biggest diierence in sound quality pre-amp or amp?

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Might want to consider the RMB-1077 as well... Analog switching power!

The pre-amp and amp will both make differences, the pre-amp slightly over the amp. If you switched from your Onkyo to a Rotel RSP-1068/1098, you'll notice more of a difference in over all sound quality. If you upgrade your amp, you will notice an improved low volume response. Combine the two, you're in heaven. ha ha
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"