Rotel vs Outlaw amp with Harman as a pre !?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thiagoprado
    • Feb 2007

Rotel vs Outlaw amp with Harman as a pre !?

I have a Harman Kardon AVR 340 that I want to use as a pre/pro and buy a amp to power my speakers - B&W DM603 (frontal), LCR60 (center) and LM-1 (surround).

I selected two amps that I think will match my speakers - Rotel 1066 and Outlaw 7075 but I'm not sure if they will work fine with the AVR 340.

I listen 70% music and 30% ht and prefer a warm/musical sound.

Is it a stupid idea? Should I sell my harman and buy a new pre or a new receiver (Sherwood Newcastle)?

Thanks
  • thiagoprado
    • Feb 2007

I'm getting crazy...

Rotel 1066 ($699), Outlaw 7075 ($699) or Emotiva LPA-1 ($499) with Harman AVR 340 as pre?

Please, help me guys

Comment

• cfrizz
      • Apr 2006

Hi. I have had both Rotel & Outlaw amps & both are good & will get the job done. So you won't lose whichever one you pick.

However, I will also tell you that I wouldn't settle for anything less than 200wpc for my power anymore. Having that much power made the most significant difference for my entire system.

So think about saving more money & go for the Rotel 1095 or the Outlaw 7500.

Let us know what you end up getting.
      Cathy
      ---------
      Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• thiagoprado
        • Feb 2007

And what about the Harman as a Pre/pro?

Comment

• srb
          • Oct 2004

Your B&W 603s are about the same efficiency as cfrizz's Polk RTA-8ts.

Rotel RMB1095 5X200W is a nice amp, but it retails for $2000 and sells used for ~$1200-$1400.

The Rotel RMB1066 (6X60W 6 channel mode / 5X70W 5 channel mode), is intended primarily as a surround amplifier or multi-room distribution amp. I doubt that you would hear a world of difference with this amp.

You may want to consider either Rotel RMB1075 (5X125W @$995), or because your usage is 70% music/30% HT, the Rotel RB1080 (2X200W @ $995) for your front speakers, and the receiver for center and surrounds.

However, if you upgrade to a pre/pro in the future, you would need the other 3 channels of amplification.

All this being said, power specs alone do not mean everything. In my case, I repaced my Rotel RB1080 2X200W amp with an Audio Refinement 5X125W amp. Even though it is less power, I feel it controls my speakers better and sounds a little more 'refined' (no pun intended!).

As for the HK receiver/pre, it will probably be the weak link in the system. A future upgrade to a dedicated pre/pro will probably further improve the sound, but for maximum 2 channel sound quality, none of the mid-level pre/pros IMO sound as good or as low-noise as a good 2-channel analog preamp.
          Last edited by srb; 18 February 2007, 18:10 Sunday.

Comment

• thiagoprado
            • Feb 2007

So if I use my Harman 340 as a pre and the RMB1066 (I realy don't need more than that. My room is only 9x13') I will not hear much difference?

Comment

• srb
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by thiagoprado
              So if I use my Harman 340 as a pre and the RMB1066 (I realy don't need more than that. My room is only 9x13') I will not hear much difference?
              Only with an in-home audition of the RMB1066 will you know for sure, but my guess is no, replacing the amps in your HK with pretty much the same power (albeit slightly higher quality) per channel will not make a substantial enough of a difference.

I previously had B&W 602S3s in an only slightly larger room, and when I added the 200W/ch Rotel RB1080 to my Rotel 75W/ch receiver, I perceived a definite increase in sound quality.

The higher power amplifiers can supply the current for instantaneous peaks, preserve the dynamic range, and control the woofers much better.

Comment

• thiagoprado
                • Feb 2007

I read a lot of great reviews about pro amps (crown ,qcs..).
                Is this a good buy?

Comment

• cfrizz
                  • Apr 2006

My room is smaller than yours, and I had a 50wpc Rotel amp pushing my Polks & it sounded good. I didn't notice any difference between that & the 110wpc Denon that I upgraded to years later, which is what I wanted. I heard a HUGE difference when I got a Parasound 1500A 205wpc amplifier and used my Denon as a Prepro. I just didn't know what I was missing from the music with the lower power.

Because I was thinking of getting 4ohm speakers that my Denon wasn't really capable of powering, I upgraded to the Parasound & discovered what my speakers could really do! I have yet to upgrade my 17 yr old Polks!

If you are happy with all the bells & whistles that the HK has, then it will be fine as a prepro. But I agree you won't really see much of a difference between your HK & the 60wpc Rotel.

As far as going with pro amps, quite frankly you are just taking the cheap way out & using something that is designed for a different purpose of amplification.

You will be much better off being patient & getting amplification designed for home stereo.

Also consider buying used. You can get more bang for your buck that way.
                  Cathy
                  ---------
                  Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• srb
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by cfrizz
                    As far as going with pro amps, quite frankly you are just taking the cheap way out & using something that is designed for a different purpose of amplification.

You will be much better off being patient & getting amplification designed for home stereo.
                    I agree. Pro amps are OK for subwoofer applications, but generally not refined enough for home stereo main speakers.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"