X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jaynaldo
    • May 2006

RDV-1092 vs PS3

Can the RDV1092 match the PS3/blu ray in video and audio quality? I know it's not out yet, what's the feeling out there once blu ray hits the shelves. I know that the blu ray player is differnet from the stand alone player, does anyone knows the difference ?
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Jaynaldo
    Can the RDV1092 match the PS3/blu ray in video and audio quality? I know it's not out yet, what's the feeling out there once blu ray hits the shelves. I know that the blu ray player is differnet from the stand alone player, does anyone knows the difference ?

The RDV 1092 will not make SD DVD look even remotely close to Blue Ray from the PS3. Its not really a fair comparison becuase Blue Ray is HD and the RDV 1092 only upconerts.

Upconverted (from any DVD player or processor) DVD is no where close to the quality of true HD.

Having said all that I still prefer HD DVD to Blue Ray for content, price, quality and customer support.

Comment

• calmac
      • May 2005

Ps3 Vs 1092

I have not seen either machine in operation but based on past experience with the ps2 and stand alone dvd players I can make a few comments,The ps3 is primarily a games console imo and will therefore probably offer poorer picture and sound quality than stand alone BR players.If your are comparing like with like ie sd-dvd upscaled to 1080i p on both machines then I would expect the Rotel to show thw ps3 a clean pair of heels in both picture abd soundquality.Comparing BR on the ps3 to upscaled sd-dvd on the Rotel I would expect the ps3 to show improvements in some areas but to be similar in others for video with sound quality still being better on the Rotel.It's all conjecture for the time being ,not helped by Sony's bullshit marketing ,.
      Gordon

Comment

• apodaca
        • Jun 2006

Yes it is hard for some to admit but HD DVD and even Blu Ray surpass anything in high definition (No compression, or squares during fast nmotion etc.) either over the air, from satellite or cable and most certainly standard DVD. Soundwise Dolby Digital+, Dolby True HD and even full bandwidth DTS kills any track available in a standard DVD. Its like comparing a 1 megapixel Nikon digital camera to a 5 megapixel Fuji or Sony - pixels are pixels. DVD is handicapped due to is limited space. SACD and DVD audio vs standard CD is also a similar comparison though differences can and sometimes are smaller.

Unless one is still looking for a great MUSIC player for existing CD/DVD-A/SACD along with video, no standard DVD can compete with the next generation unless a small or low resolution TV/display is used.

Comment

• gianni
          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by apodaca
          Soundwise Dolby Digital+, Dolby True HD and even full bandwidth DTS kills any track available in a standard DVD. .

My question is: what HD or BR disc would one buy to make the comparison between Dolby Digital+ or Dolby True HD and the older formats?

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by gianni
            My question is: what HD or BR disc would one buy to make the comparison between Dolby Digital+ or Dolby True HD and the older formats?
            Blue Ray is not on par with HD DVD when it comes to audio. At this point I believe Warner is the only one putting DD + on blue ray discs. The DD on blue is better then SD DVD Dolby, but not as good as HD DVD DD Plus. I am not sure but dont know of any Blue Ray tittles have TruHD, but I could be wrong.

All of HD DVD tittles must and do have at least DD Plus, so you could by any HD DVD tittle and give it a try. Bare in mind that your best bet at this point is to buy the Toshiba HD A1 as currenty the only way to get the new audio formats is from the analog outputs unless you have a reciever cabable of decoding them from the HDMI.

Movies with TruHD (that I am aware of)

Training Day
            Perfect Storm
            Fantom of the opera
            Troy
            Batman Begins

Movies with DD PLus:
            All HD DVDs and they all sound great! :T

feel free to send me a PM if you get one (HD DVD player) and need help setting it up and loading the latest firmware. That goes for anyone.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"