X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nopat
    • Aug 2005

Dolby PL IIx in 2ch and fiber

My setup: 1068 used as a 2-ch processor and a cheap-o Sony 5-disc changer through fiber in PCM 2CH mode. No other speakers besides L+R and sub at the moment.

Has anyone ran their 2-channel in this mode (PL IIx Music)? Just curious your experiences. Seems like the soundstage widens, but I can't tell if you're just getting the reverb from the rears through the L+R.

Also, what's the word on the DACs in the Sony units? I would assume that the Rotel DACs are far superior, considering the price difference between a (new) $2K preamp and a $200 cd changer. Then again, I could be wrong. I usually am, and would probably find out for myself if room logistics didn't make this less than convenient. That, and I have some HDCD discs that this player can't process.

Thanks.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

You have to setup up your PLII settings to get the best results. Go into the input setup, change default sound to PLIIx, then go to advanced.

Center-width changes how much center is used, panorama sets whether the rears are used or not, and depth adjusts the front to rear bias.

Kevin D.

Comment

• nopat
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
      You have to setup up your PLII settings to get the best results. Go into the input setup, change default sound to PLIIx, then go to advanced.

Center-width changes how much center is used, panorama sets whether the rears are used or not, and depth adjusts the front to rear bias.

Kevin D.
      Except I don't have any of those speakers, only L+R. Is data still being sent, or does the programming default to the speakers currently present. For the record, I only have l,r, and sub setup with the rest of the speakers set at "none."

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D

Kevin D.
        this is good info. Do you just adjust to ear or is there a way to properly calibrate it?

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by nopat
          Except I don't have any of those speakers, only L+R. Is data still being sent, or does the programming default to the speakers currently present. For the record, I only have l,r, and sub setup with the rest of the speakers set at "none."
          Ah, missed that part. It is still being processed, but then gets mixed back into the fronts and sub. I would not run it (or any other digital surround) until you have more speakers. The processor in the 1068 era series can get bogged down when taxed with too much to do. Basically it processes the sound, divides it into 7.1 channels, applies bass management, then combines unused channels back into the used channels.

It's been my experience that a 4 channel system with a sub will experience a dramatic decrease in dynamics and sound quality (especially in DTS). I doubt that going to a 2.1 channel setup would be better. A 4 channel system with no sub sounds good, a 5.1 or 6.1 channel setup (with no front center) sounds fine, but if you kill the center rears and center it's just too much extra processing for it to keep up.

So I would stick with just running everything in stereo until you can get a center and rears.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Vancouver
            this is good info. Do you just adjust to ear or is there a way to properly calibrate it?
            Personal preference. Panorama is a definite yes, and I usually spread the width out a hair and kick the depth up +1.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"