• Show
Clear All
  • Razvan
    • Jan 2002

Dolby Pro Logic IIx upgrade?

"Dolby Laboratories Unveils Dolby Pro Logic IIx
    posted by Chairman Steve - 2003-09-02

Technology provides up to 7.1 channels for stereo and 5.1-channel content

Indianapolis, September 2, 2003—Expanding upon its tradition of leadership in providing enhanced surround sound listening experiences, Dolby Laboratories has announced the introduction of Dolby Pro Logic IIx technology.

Dolby Pro Logic IIx technology provides home theater enthusiasts with a solution for 7.1-channel playback of traditional stereo and 5.1-channel content, while maintaining all the richness and clarity inherent in any Dolby audio technology.

Extending the advanced matrix decoding techniques first introduced in Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, when added to a music or movie playback source, provides the most natural and seamless surround sound experiences available.

This new Dolby technology, when incorporated into audio/video receiver and processor products, will provide home theater enthusiasts with a flexible upgrade path, allowing them to connect extra channels and speakers to their 5.1- or 6.1-channel systems in the future.

Dolby Pro Logic IIx is the first technology to offer the choice of processing traditional stereo music and movie content into a 6.1- or 7.1-channel listening experience.

"Home theater is about personal choice and lifestyle. For many consumers, a traditional 5.1 system provides the best performance within their listening environments," said Craig Eggers, Director, Consumer Technology Marketing, Dolby Laboratories.

"However, with the introduction of Dolby Digital EX, home theatre enthusiasts began integrating two rear speakers with their side surrounds," Eggers continued. "Soon, they were demanding independent 7.1-channel performance from their systems. Dolby Pro Logic IIx satisfies that need by introducing four independent full-range surround channels. The result is a highly compelling and natural multichannel listening experience."

Dolby Pro Logic IIx technology is ideally suited for a wide range of potential audiences, including:

early-adopter A/V enthusiasts upgrading 5.1-channel or Dolby Digital EX home theaters to 6.1- or 7.1-channel status
    discerning listeners who demand a seamless, enveloping music and movie experience and the most versatility from their surround sound systems
    consumers of traditional two-channel content (such as laserdisc, VHS, or stereo TV) who appreciate natural, full-range multichannel listening experiences
    music lovers seeking a highly dramatic and natural-sounding multichannel experience from CDs, compact cassettes, MP3 files, and high-quality FM stereo broadcasts
    video game enthusiasts who appreciate the dramatic spatial effects, low-frequency background ambience, and vivid imaging

SOURCE: Dolby Laboratories"

Hopefully Integra Research will offer DPL2x as an upgrade to the RDC-7 owners.

R
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Good point. While THX Ultra 2 (already included in a previous RDC-7 upgrade) provides 7 channel output for 5 channel sources, I agree that Integra Research should provide an upgrade to Dolby Prologic IIx. I hope it will be a either a free download from their web site or a very low cost software upgrade rather than needing another hardware modification. If it does require a change to the hardware, then I'd prefer that they combine that with the promised digital input connector update rather than having to go through the process twice. (While they're at it, this would be a good time to add HDCD as well as DVD-Audio decoding capabilities.)

I think we can take some encouragement from the following statement:
    Originally posted by Dolby Press release
    Dolby anticipates further announcements shortly from leading consumer electronics hardware manufacturers, including Harman Kardon, Integra, Kenwood, Onkyo, and Sony.
    Full text of press release at: http://www.dolby.com/press/ce_pr_0309_plIIx.html

So far, all the updates that have applied to upgradeable receiver models from Onkyo and Integra have also applied to the Integra Research RDC-7. Hard to believe they'd upgrade the receivers and leave the RDC-7 behind on this one. So far, however, nothing on the Integra Research site about this.

Burke
    Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, please notify Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

FWIW, I've sent the following inquiry to Integra Research:

What are your upgrade plans for 1) Dolby Prologic IIx (recent Dolby press release says Onkyo and Integra have plans to incorporate it into future products -- what about Integra Research and the RDC-7?) 2) digital multichannel connections (IEEE 1394 or other connectors -- will the panel be user installable or will it require sending the unit in again?) 3) HDCD support (the SHARC chips supposedly have this capability natively; it seems like a good idea to take advantage of it -- or is it already installed in software but overlooked as a feature in the manual)?

Thanks – a number of RDC-7 owners including me are waiting for your answers at Club Integra which I moderate on the HT Guide Forum.
      I hope this will yield a more definitive and timely response than their previous "with the approach of the holidays, we don't have time to address these issues specifically, but an announcement will be posted on our web site soon". (That' seems to be their stock answer even if the approaching "holidays" are "Saturday and Sunday" and the web site announcement is four months away.) :>)

Burke
      Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, please notify Bill Gates.

Comment

• Razvan
        • Jan 2002

Thanks Burke!

Have you tried contacting Lincoln Palmer directly?

R

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Razvan
          Have you tried contacting Lincoln Palmer directly?
          Not this time. He's the one who came up with the "stock answer" the last couple of times we exchanged email. So this time, I just submitted the query via the Integra Research website's Feedback Form.

If Lincoln Palmer is lurking here and would like to jump in with comments about Dolby Prologic IIx and/or the other issues, those would certainly be welcome.

Burke

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Here is the answer I received today from Onkyo USA and/or Integra Research USA Product Support (it appears they are close to dropping the pretense that Integra Research is a separate company):

Originally posted by onkyo@onkyousa.com
            Thank You for contacting Integra Research USA Product Support.

We are working on the next upgrade, we have no specifics yet but the upgrade will include the IEEE1394 and most like the new Dolby Pro logic IIx. I would think that since the IEEE1394 will require a new board to be installed it will require a ship into one of our regional locations, but nothing is set to date. I would recommend to check the websites in the next couple of months and you will see some information.

Again, thank you for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support,
            if you need further Assistance feel free to call us at 800-229-1687.
            So one of these months, we’ll see more information on their web site(s). At least they are thinking about including Dolby ProLogic IIx in the next upgrade.

Burke
            Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, notify whoever was quoted, or Bill Gates.

Comment

• Leslie
              • Sep 2001

Burke, Thanks a lot for pursuing this. I'm adding my two cents worth of interest in this upgrade in case Onkyo is lurking on this site. I've really enjoyed the RDC-7 and look forward to upgrading - although I dread unhooking and shipping it away thereby disabling my home theater system!
              Leslie

Comment

• awtryau89
                • Dec 2002

Bruce,
                I just purchased an Integra RDC-7. The unit does not have the THX Ultra II Upgrade. Just a few questions. Do you have the latest Upgrade and is it worth the money? If I wait for the next upgrade, do you think they will have to do both or can I just get the latest? Finally, you mentioned SHARCs, does my unit have these processors or do you have to have the UltraII upgrade to get them? As for the unit, it is outstanding. I sold my Lexicon MC-1 and was very afraid of losing Logic 7 but so far the DPLII with upsampling on is outstanding and I do not miss L7 one bit.

Eric Awtry
                War Eagle
                Eric Awtry
                War Eagle

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Eric –

Congratulations on your purchase of the Integra Research RDC-7. It was a terrific product even before the upgrades, but in addition to the new features, those show Integra Research's commitment to their promise when the product was introduced to keep the units current without forcing owners to buy a whole new piece of gear every time new processing formats and other major features came on the market.
                  Do you have the latest Upgrade and is it worth the money?
                  I do have the latest upgrade, and since I have a 7.1 configuration, I think the THX Ultra 2 upgrade was worth the money I paid for it. (I got in on the “introductory offer” at $200 off.) After living with it a while, and anticipating future software enhancements that will make use of the boosted processing power, I think the upgraded unit is worth having, even at the full price (but I’m not volunteering to send them any more money for it.) :>) If you are sticking with 5.1, then it is probably of less immediate importance. (The DTS 96/24 part of the upgrade is worthless, IMO, since there is NO software that I have seen beyond one track of their demo disc that takes advantage of it.)
                  If I wait for the next upgrade, do you think they will have to do both or can I just get the latest?
                  The last upgrade was cumulative in that they included the previous software updates (Dolby Prologic II and DTS ES Discrete) with the new ones in addition to making hardware modifications. (They also gave full credit to those who had paid for the first upgrade and then purchased the second one, so owners came out even on that.)

It is hard to predict what they will actually do with the next one, but the word I have gotten from Integra Research indicates that the next upgrade will be a board added to support the IEEE 1394 or other digital interfaces, so it may not involve the same kind of surface mount component replacement as the last one. It might include some additional software changes, but I’m guessing the two upgrades will be handled separately, although I would think they could devise a plan to schedule both at once for those who need both.
                  Finally, you mentioned SHARCs, does my unit have these processors or do you have to have the UltraII upgrade to get them?
                  From previous correspondence with Integra Research, I have been led to believe that all RDC-7s started with SHARCs but that the latest upgrade increased their processing capability to handle the additional processing required by THX Ultra II and to anticipate future additional upgrades.
                  As for the unit, it is outstanding. I sold my Lexicon MC-1 and was very afraid of losing Logic 7 but so far the DPLII with upsampling on is outstanding and I do not miss L7 one bit.
                  I’m really glad that you like your RDC-7 that much. You are the first current or former Lexicon owner whom I’ve encountered who has found Dolby Pro Logic II a satisfactory replacement for Logic 7. (None of the previous ones were RDC-7 owners.) I think the key difference is the intelligent upsampling in the RDC-7, which handles its Redbook CD performance better than some highly regarded stand-alone DACS, according to a Stereophile Guide To Home Theater review comparing the RDC-7’s performance head-to-head with a well known DAC.

In addition to the RDC-7's excellent implementation of Dolby Prologic II, I've been impressed with the way the THX Ultra II processing extends the "logic" of surround seamlessly all the way around making use of all seven speakers. Actually, though, I'm more of a two-channel guy, if that was the way the music was recorded, and find that the RDC-7 does a superlative job with that, as well. Whatever mode you choose from among the "standards", the RDC-7 is going to do it exceedingly well.

Burke

Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect and error, notify Bill Gates.

Comment

• awtryau89
                    • Dec 2002

Burke,
                    Not Bruce (sorry). Thanks for the reply. Any idea on how soon Integra will offer the next upgrade? My concern is as soon as I send this unit off they will announce the next upgrade and I will have to ship my unit twice. I really think I will wait on the next upgrade and do both at once. One other thing I am hoping is that they may offer an introductory price on the next upgrade as well and I can talk them into giving me a break as a combo.

One other upgrade issue, do you think Integra will make anymore changes to the bass management and allow separate crossovers for each speaker combo or allow you to have 2 different crossover settings for 2-channel and surround? This was a great feature on a previous prepro I owned (see below).

Also, do you think Integra would ever offer the CHAD remote or a better remote with this unit as a part of an upgrade? I think it is bad that they offer the CHAD with the 9.4 and not with this unit.

Finally, the Logic 7 issue is a touchy one. I can hear a bit of a difference in surround envelopment between the two with L7 being a bit better. My main concern was always the front soundstage. Bear in mind I had not ever had a component of this quality reproducing DPLII. I had switched from a Onkyo 898 to a Lex DC1 to a HK 8000 to a Aragon Soundstage to a B&K Ref 50 to a Lex MC1. The Lex always was so much more discreet in its handling of surround material than these other units with DPLII and its front soundstage was nearly perfect. The RDC-7 is as good as the Lex in this area and better. Granted I have not had one of the newer Lex processors in my system but considering I paid less than a 3rd of what a MC-8 retails for and less than half what I could have had one used I am definitely satisfied. The Lex was like a old pair of jeans and hard to get rid of. I still think though that that unit will not touch the RDC-7 for 2-channel performance. I like you am an old 2-channel junkie and I am amazed that this piece is as good as it is for a 2-channel preamp. I previously owned that popular 2-channel DAC your are speaking of and I am pleased to say this unit is that good.

Oh well, this all makes me feel good about my purchase knowing I can get the upgrade done anytime. I am currently running Parasound amps and love them but if anyone ever runs across a great deal on a RDA-7 let me know because I think I want the matching set.

Eric Awtry
                    War Eagle
                    Eric Awtry
                    War Eagle

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"