X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scherr
    • Dec 2003

Dolby pro logic IIx question

Picked up me new Rotel 1056. Huge improvement over my old Denon 2800 although the Denon powers the back center surrounds and the second zone.

My question is this. I want to use dolby pro logic IIx as a default for everything. I set it that way in the menu. On dolby digital, I got dolby digital + XS. I manually switched it to IIx.

Is there any way to tell it on all dolby digital and DTS sources (whether they be 5.1, EX, ES, etc.), I want it to apply IIx?

Thank you!

Scott
  • eddyg
    • Mar 2004

Why?

Why would you want to do such a thing? Aren't you basically throwing away the discreet surround channels and replacing them with constructed ones from your stereo signal?

Sounds a bit odd, not something that I guess Rotel would have anticipated any sane person wanting to do

Cheers,

Edward.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

What eddyg said. ProLogic IIx (or any ProLogic for that matter) creates surround from 2-channel sources. It's mutually exclusive with 5.1 formats such as DD 5.1 or DTS.

XS I believe adds the 6.1/7.1 channels to the 5.1 so this will put all your speakers to work.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Edward and Kevin,

Sorry, but your both wrong. If you actually have a piece with IIx I would strongly suggest activating it on DD and DTS sources..

PLIIx does get applied to stereo sources for 7.1 sound. But in addition it can be applied to DD and DTS tracks to matrix out full stereo center rears from the existing left/right surround track. So that part is right.

The only 'true' 6.1 discreet format is DTS-ES discreet. Pretty rare and not too much better than DTS-ES Matrix. DTS-ES matrix and DD all ready use a matrix style decoding to subtract mono center rear information from the existing rears. PLIIx basically does the same thing, but comes up with stereo center rears and creates a more enveloping surround presence.

Rotel XS, while pretty good when released, only sums the left/right surround information and plays the mono signal out of both center rear outputs, and doesn't even subtract any sound from the existing surrounds. Pretty much useless with PLIIx.

Scott: To actually answer your question, I've found that if I set it in the menu system without a source being played, that it tends to stay with PLIIx. Check your firmware, as I think there might have been a fix for keeping the setting. Also check out this post, Aussie Geoff has found a way to have multiple defaults with his 1098. I haven't tried it, but you could and let us know how it goes.

Comment

• Scherr
          • Dec 2003

Thanks, Kevin.

Roger Dressler of Dolby has said that dolby pro logic IIx is superior to dolby digital ex even on ex DVD's. Roger explained that IIx will sometimes be the same as ex on certain scenes and sometimes will be better than ex on others, but will always be at least as good.

Scott

Comment

• Scherr
            • Dec 2003

I have had a chance to play around with the receiver a little bit. By switching XS to IIx, I now get IIx as the default on all sources.

I do not have a properly flagged ex disk. Can anyone tell me whether the Rotel can be told to always ignore the ex flag and still apply IIx?

Thank you!

Scott

Comment

• whmacs
              • Oct 2003

Hi Scott,
              From my experience it will default back to DD + EX. Its still worth flipping it back to DD + PLIIx C as you get a much better rear sound field with PLIIx.

Cheers,
              Stephen
              My Home Theatre

Comment

• Scherr
                • Dec 2003

Thanks!

Scott

Comment

• spiffnme
                  • Apr 2003

Call me a skeptic, but I remember with Dolby Pro Logic came out and everyone said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Gave it a shot, and hated it.

Then came Pro Logic II...same thing - everyone raved, I was sorely dissapointed. Pretty much 90% of the cd's I play back through DLP II put nearly everything through the center channel, a bit through my mains, and next to nothing through my surrounds. I've played with the settings, and it never sounds as good as simply playing it back in 2 channel. That's not to say I don't enjoy multi-channel audio. I do! When properly mixed (as in SACD and DVD-A formats) it's great! But when you try to magically make a 2 channel disc playback in multi-channel mode, it simply doesn't work for me.

I don't hold out much hope of DLP IIx being any better.

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

On contraire mon frere , I utilize DoProIIx, and if you have 7.1, it's sounds very nice. I acoustically enjoy it more that DoProII, which I didn't utilize very often. I utilize DoProIIx much more than 2 channel, which I didn't do with DoProII. I believe DoProIIx acoustically benefits those with 7.1, due to the CBs being stereo mixed, but in all fairness, I have performed some upgrades since the advent of DoProIIx, which included the RB-1080 and better CBs. I enjoy it tremendously :T . Your mileage of course may vary.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                      • May 2004

I am not sure that you can do that will all discs, some DVDs have flags that tell the processors what to read. That is probably why the unit is dropping the default setting and accepting the flag from the DVD.

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by spiffnme
                        Pretty much 90% of the cd's I play back through DLP II put nearly everything through the center channel, a bit through my mains, and next to nothing through my surrounds. I've played with the settings, and it never sounds as good as simply playing it back in 2 channel.
                        Either you didn't play with the settings enough, or didn't understand what they did. By default DPLII Movie sounds bad on 2-channel audio. DLII Music by most receiver defaults sounds the same as movie.

YOU HAVE TO TWEAK THE SETTINGS FOR MUSIC. Most everyone that complains about DPLII say the same thing you do. Nothing through the surrounds and all through the center. That's is the default. You must enable PANORAMA to get any rear information, and then put center width to at least 4-5. If you really hate the way the center is mixed in, set it to 7.. 7='no-center'. Not enough rears for you? Click depth up a few notches..

If you don't like the way it sounds that's cool. But please don't go around saying DPLII has no rears and is all center, when that is easily remedied by a few tweaks.

Spiffnme: Sorry to appear directed right at you, but I tend to take these opportunities to educate people that don't read manuals...

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"