X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bw4sure
    • Nov 2005

Looking for some advice

Well a major upgrade is in my future. Not really happy with anything I currently have. Looking to spend a total of about $16,000, but most likely half now, half later unless my dealer gives me a deal I can't refuse. The only thing I will not be replacing in this upgrade will be my 57" Sony widescreen (3 years old). So I am hoping to get a great sounding 5.1 system. At this point I am not really considering anything other then Rotel and B&W combo. This is what the dealer has recommended .... what do you think?
    Pair of 703's , pair of 705's , HTM7 & an ASW750
    RMB-1077 , RSP-1068 & RDV-1092

Now that is the full package and its close to the $16,000 budget (Canadian $$ including taxes etc )...... he claims he is giving me 15% off of list if I buy the package

Then he offered the following if I chose to do the two step upgrade
    First stage would be the pair of 703's ,RDV-1092 , RB-1080 & an RC-1070
    Not a 5.1 system, but a very nice 2ch set up ,with a guarantee that I can get 100% trade in value on the RB-1080 & RC-1070 when I come back to upgrade my system (as long as I do so within a year) to the 5.1 system outlined above

Pro's / Con's What do you think guys !!

One thing that could work out well is that I read on a post somewhere here that Rotel may be introducing an upgraded version of the 1068

I would have a tough time spending the money (about $1700) on the RDV-1092 ...... is it really worth that? I read about the OPPO, but it looks to me that your tv has to be able to accept either DVI or HDMI to take advantage of the OPPO's features ...... my tv has neither, only component or s-video ... so I may consider another brand option if the value is there

ok I forgot to mention the size of the room etc ....... here goes .... currently living in a concrete condo ..... viewing / listening area is aproximately 13' wide x 20' long .... speakers / tv on the 13' wall

Looking forward to any and all responses

Thanks in advance
    DC
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

DC, I've got a 2.1 system that is quite close to the 2-channel system that your dealer has offered you. Have a look at my Public Profile. I use my system primarily for CDs and music DVDs, and I reckon it performs pretty well. I consider my ASW750 subwoofer to be a key component of my setup, so you might like to consider that sooner rather than later. I have an Oppo 971, and you're quite right - it needs a screen with DVI or HDMI input to take advantage of its excellent video processing chip. The only component I don't like in your proposed setup is the RDV-1092. I don't speak from experience here; it just appears to have poor price performance compared to the other components so I'd invest my money elsewhere first. Have you considered the Oppo 970 at US$150? The sound quality is supposed to be better than my Oppo 971, and the 971 isn't bad. It also provides high definition video formats through its component output. Email Oppo Digital if you need more information. They're very responsive. If/when you get an RSP-1068 you could use the audio and video processing in that component instead of the 970. At US$150 you wouldn't be taking a big risk, and it would always make a great second DVD player for the bedroom etc. If you want a quality standalone CD player then the Rotel 1072 is highly rated by most people in this forum.

Nigel.

Comment

• Clepto
      • Feb 2006

For HT, you're better off going either 600 series, or 800 series.... While the 700 series is a very nice step up from the 600 series in 2 channel, it's fairly weak imo as a HT focused system. Mainly due to limitations of the Center channel...

You may want to take a listen to the CM series too....

Comment

• Boone38
        • Dec 2004

I was looking at the same set up you have listed. I listened for some time before I made my final decision. As for the 1092 I would disagree with the prior post. I have one and LOVE the way it sounds. I even compared it with my brother in laws Denon 3910. We had a very hard time telling the difference and they were very suttle. I really like how it matches the rest of my Rotel gear.
        I went with the 1075 power amp to save costs. I would have liked the 1077 for future upgrades. But really only want 5.1 and did not need the 7.1.
        I bought the 804s as they were much better then the 703s. I then went with the HTM4 vs the 7 for the center. My Rotels are the 1068,1075,1092 and 1080 tuner. I also popped for the 1040 line conditioner.
        The most recent update was the Pioneer 5071 plasma.
        My dealer gave me a flat 20% off the retail. I do think that most will do this. You are buying a fair amount and would try to push for a bigger discount.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

• bw4sure
          • Nov 2005

Thanks for he replies

Bigburner .... thanks, I will look into the OPPO 970

Clepto ..... I was unaware that the 700 series would be considered weak in HT, I will pay closer attention in my next comparison

Boone ..... The dealer I am dealing with, does not recommend putting Rotel with the 800 series ..... they do not even display them in the same room .... I am sure that if I insisted, they would set them up however I like, but as a rule they only put Classe with the 800 series ...... I told him there was no way I could stretch the budget for Classe and that I would like to consider some 803's or 804's with the Rotel gear ...... he steered me away from that saying the the Rotel would not be able to puch the 800 series and I would surely be disappointed ..... now having said that, I do read on here that there are a lot of members who put Rotel with the 800 series and are ecstatic with the performance .....

Thanks again
          DC

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"