X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jaynaldo
    • May 2006

rdv1092 hdmi vs component cable

My installer recomended that I stick with component cables for the 1092 rather than the hdmi cables. What's the opinion of the rotel community?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

HDMI > Component.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Jaynaldo
      What's the opinion of the rotel community?
      My opinion is get a new installer. One of the biggest reasons to get the 1092 is it's scaling ability over HDMI. If you don't use HDMI you could save a lot of money.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ICEMAN70
        • Apr 2006

Does your TV have HDMI or DVI connection? Because if you do i would ask your installer what he was smoking?

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jaynaldo
          My installer recomended that I stick with component cables for the 1092 rather than the hdmi cables. What's the opinion of the rotel community?

Holy Shnike'

The HDMI connection on the RDV-1092 allows you to video upconvert (scale) line double + video enhance your standard DVD picture... The component outputs are standard 480i (520) ... the HDMI is potentially 1080P ...

Hhmmmm.... Print these responses and hand them to him!
          Why he would even consider Component is interesting, it begs for further questions, like your display device... is it HDMI?

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Interesting that the rdv 1092 doesnt upconvert over component...are you sure about that?

On a side note I have done a lot of comparisions between HDMI and component using an external processor and achieving 1:1 pixal mapping. In all my test with 3 different dvd plays and two different displays I have seen no evidance that HDMI is supperior in picture quality then component. In fact I found component to be better.

Its been marketed to be better, but I believe until I see something different its just been marketed that way to make copy right protect etc taste better.

My RDV 1060 plus Iscan HD using component going to my Fujitsu SMOKES the RDV 1092 with HDMI. Just kills it...and I really wanted the RDV 1092 to be better.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

If his display upscales the component input better than the 1092 does over HDMI or just simply has better electronics on the component input over his displays DVI/HDMI input he could very well get better results with component. Perhaps his installer tested and noted that?
              Jason

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                Interesting that the rdv 1092 doesnt upconvert over component...are you sure about that?

On a side note I have done a lot of comparisions between HDMI and component using an external processor and achieving 1:1 pixal mapping. In all my test with 3 different dvd plays and two different displays I have seen no evidance that HDMI is supperior in picture quality then component. In fact I found component to be better.

Its been marketed to be better, but I believe until I see something different its just been marketed that way to make copy right protect etc taste better.

My RDV 1060 plus Iscan HD using component going to my Fujitsu SMOKES the RDV 1092 with HDMI. Just kills it...and I really wanted the RDV 1092 to be better.
                Attention Video Experts:

DVD players that follow the law (Macro vision) (DRM = Digital Rights Management) and various other legal mumbo jumbo do not upconvert via Component (it's the law)

So all these component vs. HDMI discussions are interesting but are quickly becoming dated in fact not really even relivant...

If you are using and external scaling device componenet is excellent, if you're buying a scaling DVD player component is 480i

if you have an external scaler any dvd player with componenet is fine...

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

Andrew, isn't it possible to get progressive output on the Rotels component output? When I looked at this player (using component), I don't think that I could see a difference between the 480, 720 and 1080 settings but if I remember, a good difference between "i" and "p". That would also tell my that the Rotel's de-interlacing is a lot better than those inside the high-end plasma screens that where there on display..

Comment

• Mark_C.
                    • Jan 2003

It should be noted that some displays will convert a digital signal via DVI/HDMI to analog and then back to digital. For these displays, component can be better because one less conversion step is needed. Some of the Sony Grand Wega projection LCDs do this.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"