X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Unique ability of my Oppo 971

Last week a friend brought around a damaged DVD disc which wouldn’t play in his DVD player or laptop. As I work in the software development industry he assumed that I would naturally have a solution for his problem (people think I can fix their PCs too).

Well I’ve spent hours and hours on this sucker. First I had to find a PC that would mount the disc. I tried 8 PCs and laptops at work and finally found a laptop that recognised it as a DVD. I have tried to copy it using Windows XP file copy, CloneCD, Roxio, and 1ClickDVD. I have tried to rescue it using CDRoller and DVD Data Rescue. I have tried the file copy facility in Ubuntu Linux, again with no luck. They all get about 25% through and then give up.

I finally popped it into my Oppo 971 to see what would happen. Well it played the DVD the whole way through without the slightest problem. I was gobsmacked. What a machine!

Even better, the DVD was really worth the trouble. It’s “Gary Moore & The Midnight Blues - Live at Montreux 1990” and it’s a real cracker. However if I added up all the time I’ve spent on it, not to mention the time spent by my friends and colleagues supplying me with various programs to try, then I could have bought about 50 new copies of the DVD.

Nigel.
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

Indeed, the lens on Oppo does amazing job
    I remember my girlfriend had some scatched dvds animate set(many years ago) and I couldn't play on my computer. I thought about buying another set but she played all of them through over the summer.
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

That 971 is such a great value! I'm so glad I got one, I think it's the best audio/video purchase I made yet!

Comment

• riceaterslc
        • Aug 2006

awesome. now do yours play mp3's? my friends does, mine does not :huh:
        chris

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

I've never tried playing an MP3 disc but it's such a versatile device I reckon I'd get sitar music if I put a poppadom in.

Comment

• twitch54
            • Apr 2006

good to hear additional positives about this machine. I have been flurting with the purchase of this unit ever since my existing player has become rather troublesome.
            Dave

Comment

• sirbogey
              • Mar 2006

Good to hear there might be a solution to "broken" DVDs. I got some DVDs my RDV1060 has problems to read. Should get the Oppo within 5 days.. will test this..

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

My 971 plays an undamaged James Bond DVD that computer drives choke on in one chapter, total MPEG breakup hell.

BB

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"