X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Minivan
    • Jan 2005

Leave amp on ALL the time?

How do fellas?

Is it true that it's best to leave your amp 'ON' all the time? Not in standby mode, but switched on?

Does this consume much power? Is it okay to just leave it on standby and wait till it's warmed up a bit before cranking it up?

cheers
    ----------------------------------
    Rotel RSX-1056, B&W 805S front, HTM4S centre, DS8S surround, REL Q201E sub
  • al-k
    • Oct 2006

The amp's power consumption should be printed on its back panel , and perhaps as a number of VA - (volts x amps) - instead of Watts .
    This consumption will always be greater than the sum of the 2 channels in watts of output when music playing , but when no signal through the amplifier the consumption will be very low for circuits such as Rotel use .
    My only concern leaving the amp on unattended is possible Surges on the Mains supply line , as if ever a very large one it may blow your speakers , tweeters at least .
    Other noise sources can break through , such as refrigerator's motor switching off and possibly others motors being used on the Mains power near to your house , though these are more often annoying than damage causing .
    If your amp has a Standby , that may be safer , and it may be connected so that the power supply stage of the amp stays charged up but the Inputs and Outputs muted .
    This matter of amplifiers sounding better after having been left on permanently is more relevant to types that use Class A output stages {which Rotel don't} , and some types of Valve/Tube amplifiers .

Comment

• Ossi
      • Jul 2003

And besides that, you are guilty of wasting resources and therefore contributing to environmental pollution.

Comment

• Arneson
        • Jan 2006

Just befor shuting the lights off I push a button that turns my entire entertainment system off. Out go the lights and I looked around my living room, in the dark I counted thirty small red green and amber light all around the room.
        I leave things powered up only if they are performing some function, like the computers that are folding protiens 24/7.
        The only down side to this is as I turn on the system, the sat reciever has to aquire a new guide, takes a couple of seconds.
        The good news is the recent direct lightning hit did not take out any of this system.
        So my extreme view is, don't just turn it off, but disconnect from power.
        Jim

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"