X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b&w fan
    • Feb 2006

RX1052 as preamp with RB1080

I just bought a RB-1080 power amplifier (not in yet) which I am going to coupled to a RX1052 receiver that will work as preamplifier. I delayed the purchase of a dedicated preamp just to reduce the pressure on my cash flow. My speakers are a pair of B&W 703.

Do you think that using the RX1052 as a preamp may downgrade the performance of the RB1080?.

I usually listen to jazz, latin, some classic, not much electronic music.

Thank you for your always interesting comments.
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

A receiver as a pre amp shouldn't have any negative effect on the amp. You may however attain increased performance with a higher caliber pre-amp...

You will still have the increased benefit of the dedicated amp over that of the receiver's amplification.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I see it as a very sensible upgrade that will deliver long term satisfaction, IMHO.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• joetama
        • May 2006

I originally did the same thing with my setup. Started out with Yamaha then added the 703 and the RB-1080 and it was a rather large performance upgrade. When I added the RSP-1098 to the system the perforormance upgrade was even larger.
        -Joe

Comment

• trooper349
          • May 2007

Hi B&W fan.

Just wondering how the RB-1080 and the RX-1052 worked out.
          You must have been reading my mind.

I just purchased an RX-1052 but am a little dissatisfied with the power.
          I have an older pair of Snell E-III's, and I have to crank up the volume to hit the sweet spot (volume at 65-70 on a scale of 0-90).

It sounds nice, but just seems like I am pushing it too hard.

I was thinking about adding an RB-1080 and using the pre-outs on the 1052 when I came across your post.

Just curoius how it worked out.

Thanks.

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by trooper349
            Hi B&W fan.

Just wondering how the RB-1080 and the RX-1052 worked out.
            You must have been reading my mind.

I just purchased an RX-1052 but am a little dissatisfied with the power.
            I have an older pair of Snell E-III's, and I have to crank up the volume to hit the sweet spot (volume at 65-70 on a scale of 0-90).

It sounds nice, but just seems like I am pushing it too hard.

I was thinking about adding an RB-1080 and using the pre-outs on the 1052 when I came across your post.

Just curoius how it worked out.

Thanks.
            I know your post was addressed to b&w fan, but I think that would work great. The preamp section of the RX-1052 is quite good.

On a side note, and a little of topic, those are great speakers. I used to sell Snell and had a pair of Type J-III's and later a pair of Type E-IV's. How do you like them?

Eric

Comment

• trooper349
              • May 2007

Originally posted by hifiguymi
              I know your post was addressed to b&w fan, but I think that would work great. The preamp section of the RX-1052 is quite good.

On a side note, and a little of topic, those are great speakers. I used to sell Snell and had a pair of Type J-III's and later a pair of Type E-IV's. How do you like them?

Eric
              Thanks for the input.
              I am seriously thinking about getting the RB1080.

I like the Snell's a lot. I have had them for almost 15 years (I think).

I had an older Harmon Kardon PM665vxi that sounded great with those speakers. And I remember them sounding better with the HK than with my new Rotel. That's why I am thinking about the RB1080. But the HK blew a channel a few years ago.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by trooper349
                Thanks for the input.
                I am seriously thinking about getting the RB1080.

I like the Snell's a lot. I have had them for almost 15 years (I think).

I had an older Harmon Kardon PM665vxi that sounded great with those speakers. And I remember them sounding better with the HK than with my new Rotel. That's why I am thinking about the RB1080. But the HK blew a channel a few years ago.
                I think the RB-1080 will do well with those speakers. The one thing I had to be careful with when I had Snell speakers was the top end. They can tend to sound bright at times. The RB-1080 is a very good amp and will take that little bit of edge off those speakers. Make sure to spend time with the rear tweeter control to find the right tonal balance. It doesn't have to be turned up very high to get the big soundstage they are capable of. If it's too high, they can sound bright. Best of luck and let me know how it turns out.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"