X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToddT
    • Jun 2005

4805 Screen Installation

I'm attempting to setup a 16x9 80"x45 DIY projector screen.
    I have the projector installed on the ceiling.

I am having a problem getting a consistent horizontal size from the SP4805!

I started by projecting a blank (blue) image onto the wall and then used the zoom and focus to obtain an 80"x45" image ( which I masked with some tape ). I did not select an active source.

When I then selected my DVD player ( 480i component connection ) the projected image was compressed horizontally ( by about an inch on either side )! The top position of the image did not change. From my previous post, I can understand why the film/DVD aspect ration would cause vertical resizing, I cannot understand why a 16x9 source should be horizontally resized!

I have both the DVD player and the projector set to 16x9 mode.

I get the same horizontal compression with an NTSC source which is stretched ( VCR tuner connected to composite input on the projector ).

Please help!

Cheers, Todd

P.S. Thanks to those that responded to my last post!
  • ToddT
    • Jun 2005

Further Information

With the following setup:

- 4805 Projector and DVD player set to 16x9 and playing Toy Story 2 (1.77:1);
    - Component Connection -480i

With the movie playing I press the 'blank' button on the remote. When I measure the width and height of the picture I get: 79 4/16 by 44 12.5/16 inches. This yields an aspect ratio of 1.77:1

When I press the 'blank' button again I get the movie image. When I measure the image the width and height of the picture is 78 5/16 by 44 9.5/16 inches. This yields an aspect ratio of 1.756:1. I also counted the pixels and found that the top and bottom was reduced by 1 pixel while the left side was reduced by 6 pixels and the right side reduced by 5 pixels.

I hope that this makes sense to someone!

Cheers, Todd

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

It sounds like an overscan issue to me. Can you adjust overscan on the 4805 ? Some PJs allow for a 0% overscan, 5% overscan ,etc. Depending on the overscan % being used, the size of the projected image will be different, causing you to go to the zoom feature and adjust the zoom until the projected image fits the screen properly. At least, this is what I have to do with my NEC HT1000.

Also, re: Blanking. I'm not sure how this blanking feature works on the 4805, but my NEC allows me to adjust blanking top, bottom, left and right. It's usefull if you have the PJ set at 0% Overscan and you want to blank out video noise on the borders of the projected picture. Or does Blank mean something else on the 4805 ? I'm guessing it just cuts out the source image.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• ToddT
        • Jun 2005

4805 Horizontal Side Bars

Hi George,

The Infocus SP4805 has an overscan feature. It can either be turned on or off. I have overscan turned off for my DVD source.

The 'Blank' feature is also a toggle. It simple causes the 4805 to display a blank screen ( It actually produces an all blue screen - my preference ).

The problem I have is that the the "blank" screen fits the 16x9 screen, but the source image is cropped/compressed horizontally. The compression is small ( 1 pixel at the top and bottom; 5 pixels right; 6 pixels left ), but if I try to adjust (horizontally) with the zoom ring, the top and bottom go outside the screen boundary!

Cheers, Todd

Comment

• ToddT
          • Jun 2005

There must be at least a few viewers out there in cyberspace that have a Infocus SP4805!

My question to them is: Do you get horizontal compression/cropping when viewing 16x9 source media?

With my projector, I loose about 3/4 of an inch on both sides of the image. I could use the zoom to adjust the horizontal size, but then the vertical size of the image would be outside the boundaries of the screen!

Cheers, Todd

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

There's a few 4805 owners here, Todd. Hopefully they will chime in and help you out.

In the meantime, have you tried lining up the image with the overscan turned on ? Perhaps that is the way to go.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• ToddT
              • Jun 2005

Pixel Cropping?

I'm beginning to think that my DVD player is at fault and the projector is simply showing the DVD's "flaws".

Is it the case that if the 4805 has overscanning turned off and my DVD player is cropping pixels, I would "see" the missing pixels as horizontal bars ( in my case 6 pixels on the left and 5 on the right )?

If I'm right, could anyone suggest a DVD player which does not crop pixels?

Cheers, Todd

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"