X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meltdown
    • Apr 2006

Paradigm Speaker Options for my RB-1090 + RMB-1075

Well, I started off bi amping off of my Marantz with a couple carver M500"s and pushed the noise through a couple of Monitor 9 Paradigms and used the internal amps of the Marantz to power the center and surrounds. It was an improvment from before. The shock wave would loosen the puddy in the windows and work the nails out of the floorboards. I had the punch, but no grace. About this time a friend of mine ask me to listen to his new system. He was running Monitor 11"s Powered by an old Ampzilla that he had rebuilt, I was impressed, being the novice that I am. Later he replaced the zilla with a Mac 2205, that change for him was major. It was time for a change, so I dropped into the local Hi Fi shop and had a listen . I wittled down through B&K, Arcam, anthem, and settled on the Rotel. I went home the proud owner of a RB 1070. The sound out of the Monitor"s was a marked improvement, I was on to something! To make a long story short, I returned to the shop and picked up a RB 1075 and 1090, which by the way was the last one they had and made the link up at home, for the money it was a great choice. I now have greater clearity and imaging. The only question I have, is if I decide on upgrading my Monitor"s should I go with 11"s or Studio 100"s. Or just switch to something else"?
  • FROST
    • Jul 2006

Congratulations on your new amps.
    I’m looking for used /traded in rb1090 myself, or the new RB1092
    Currently ussing Studio 60 v.3 very happy with them.
    I auditioned monitor 7 and 11 before getting my studios there was a night and day difference, give a try go to your local hifi dealer and have a listening session you'll be amazed in the difference

Chris
    PS Audio Quintet Power Center
    Rotel RSP-1068
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Cambridge Audio Azur 540D
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v.2
    CATCABLES Silvercats
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
    Paradigm Studio CC570
    Paradigm Studio ADP470
    Panasonic CT34WX15
    HSU VTF-3 MKII RULES!!!

Comment

• DL86
      • Sep 2005

I am running studio 100v3's with a rb-1090. I absolutly recommend the studio 100v3's with the rb-1090 the sound is phenomenal. Live listening levels acheivable with little effort. You will get all the detail from any recording, a very revealing combo. Firm recommendation of the studio 100v3's with the rb-1090 anyone who has heard my sound system has been overly impressed with it. Movies and music it works superbly.

Dave

Comment

• AM4966
        • Jul 2006

If your listening area is large then the 100's are the way to go, but if you have a medium to small room than the 60's would be better.

AM

Comment

• deke
          • Dec 2005

I've auditioned the Studio 60s v2s and own the Studio 100 v2s, running with a Rotel amp. Love the 100 v2s more than the v3s... prefer the real wood.

Comment

• meltdown
            • Apr 2006

speaker choices

studio 100's are 1950.00 can't imagine that the 60's are only a few bucks less. Got to bet that the 100's are a better bang for the buck. I'll have to fine a new home for my carver m-500's and c1 pre amp to offset the cost of the 100's. Heard the 100's, their serious sound. Have not heard the 60's.

Comment

• Wardo
              • May 2006

Originally posted by meltdown
              studio 100's are 1950.00 can't imagine that the 60's are only a few bucks less. Got to bet that the 100's are a better bang for the buck. I'll have to fine a new home for my carver m-500's and c1 pre amp to offset the cost of the 100's. Heard the 100's, their serious sound. Have not heard the 60's.
              when I first bought into Paradigm I went with the m11's. At high volumes they would fall apart rapidly. They would make my ears ring after just a short time of 95db listening. I am a rocker, I like very loud and thunderous music. I returned them after 5 days and steped up to the s100's v3. The difference for me was litteraly night and day. These studios are by far one of the best speakers I've ever heard at any price.
              Spend the extra thousand or so on the studios, they are a perfect match with the RB1090.

Eddie

Comment

• DL86
                • Sep 2005

I second that one. Used to run a rb-1080 with my 100v3's they would compress easily at higher SPL's, the 1090 and the 100's is a dream. Don't know why I would ever consider buying any other amp or speakers, this is it for me or at least until I gather enough $$$ for a pair of S8's and another rb-1090 for bi amplification I am also a big rocker lol. You can really get to the heart of any recording and experience it for your self at home. Highly recommended combo.

Comment

• Wardo
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by DL86
                  I second that one. Used to run a rb-1080 with my 100v3's they would compress easily at higher SPL's, the 1090 and the 100's is a dream. Don't know why I would ever consider buying any other amp or speakers, this is it for me or at least until I gather enough $$$ for a pair of S8's and another rb-1090 for bi amplification I am also a big rocker lol. You can really get to the heart of any recording and experience it for your self at home. Highly recommended combo.
                  I think you're right DL86, it must be the combination of the s100v3's and the RB1090. I know the 100's are a very good speaker, not the best money can buy, and the RB1090 which is not the best money can buy. But you put the two together and I have never heard anything better for my ears. I've never heard clearer highs, more ridgid bass and a soundstage like this before. I spend hours at my local Hi-Fi store (Wilson Audio in Metairie LA) and have listened to the most expensive gear currently made and I just can see ever needing or wanting anything else. The only gain I would get from spending 7 times the money would be a few db gain and my stuff is already loud enough.
                  I know this sounds like puppy love, and maybey it is..lol But this is a deadly combination of speakers and amplifier.

Eddie
                  Eddie

Comment

• Armbender
                    • Jul 2005

I am not trying to steel the thread but how do the 100 v3's compare to the 600 series.
                    Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• Pez
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Armbender
                      I am not trying to steel the thread but how do the 100 v3's compare to the 600 series.
                      Personally I think the Paradigm Studios are hard to beat for the money and would pick them over the 600 series. But its rather subjective and you could get a lot of different answers.

Comment

• Wardo
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Armbender
                        I did a lot of listening before I bought these 100's. I choose the over the 600, 700 and 800 series B&W's. And I am not knocking on B&W, they are a great speaker, it's just for me, I feel like my 100's sounded better than all that I auditioned.
                        Paradigm and B&W are on par with each other as far as quality, they just sound different, not better or worse, just different.

Edie: just for a reference:
                        Monitors=600's
                        Studio's=700's
                        Reference=800's
                        It's pretty much that simple. you just need to find out which one you like the best with relation to your equipment.

Eddie

Comment

• dmensi
                          • Aug 2006

where to find paradigm's

I have wanted to audition Paradigms particularly the studio line, but there are no dealers in the Memphis, TN area. There is a dealer in Jonesboro Arkansas but they do not carry the Studio line. Any ideas.

Comment

• Armbender
                            • Jul 2005

Good point of view. I will have to audition them now
                            Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• Wardo
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by dmensi
                              I have wanted to audition Paradigms particularly the studio line, but there are no dealers in the Memphis, TN area. There is a dealer in Jonesboro Arkansas but they do not carry the Studio line. Any ideas.
                              there is a dealer there, check this out!

There is 1 dealer, approximately 10 miles from your Zip Code. Please choose the city closest to you for the name and location of your nearest Authorized Dealer.

MEMPHIS
                              788 E.BROOKHAVEN CIRCLE

Comment

• meltdown
                                • Apr 2006

100's

That's all I can stans...I ordered the 100's today should have them in 3 days. Also picked up a Thoren turntable to boot. Heard the 700's, got to be that tweeter mounted on top that makes them sound good. B&W are awesome speakers. They sound very good with rotel amps. But the Paradigm are the giant killers here, they're the best bang for the buck. I'd hate to have to live next to Wardo, with those amps on line. LOL.

OL

Comment

• Wardo
                                  • May 2006

CONGRATS Meltdown!!! You're going to love those speakers!!! Yes, my neighbors are not very happy with the path I’ve chosen for audio gear…lol
                                  Please post again after you get the 100’s, I want to know what you think.

Eddie

Comment

• meltdown
                                    • Apr 2006

100's

I will, if i can stop playing with my toys long enough.

Comment

• meltdown
                                      • Apr 2006

Footnote

Not to fan the flames on a dead subject, but, this quest for audio nirvana is fun, costly but fun. Your garage quickly fills up with dicarded amps and speakers, your neighbors start calling it the toy barn, and your wife calls it just stereo junk. What it is, is audio evolution. Without it you would'nt have the chance to experience the audio quality of one product over the other, which leads to what we term as upgrading. The Einsteins of ampdom tell you all the mumbo jumbo of why one unit is superior to another. But the truth is that you have to hear it for yourself and make the call. It all depends on how far down this path you are willing to go, and yeah, how deep your pockets are, because there is a relationship between dollars and sound. I'am no expert, but I've experienced it. The Rotels that I have now, are a marked improvement over previous equipment. Are they the livin end, probutly not, but their a great start. This is'nt the land of OZ, you do get what you pay for and sometimes a bit more! Thats what I found in Rotel.

Comment

• Nick M
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

I love the Paradigm Studio Series... even moreso than B&Ws.

Next you need the Signature series! h: :T
                                        Have fun with the new gear! :T
                                        ~Nick

Comment

• ht_addict
                                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by meltdown
                                          Not to fan the flames on a dead subject, but, this quest for audio nirvana is fun, costly but fun.
                                          And honestly a waste for most off us who don't have dedicated HT rooms. I hate to single out Wardo, but just looking at the link in his sig you will see that it looks like he's sitting maybe 6ft at most from his setup. With the gear that he has and the speakers he's using, anyone what to give a guess how many watts he's drawing from all those amp? I'd bet it's no more than 1 watt/per at any given time. So here he has 2x2x380w and 5x200w and all he's using is 5x1watt. Damn expensive 1watt :E Wardo I would sell of one off the 1090's and the PS-1200 and repace it with a Servo-15 ;x(

Comment

• DL86
                                            • Sep 2005

You may want to read a few more reviews about the paradigm STUDIO 100 speakers. They have 3 x 7 inch bass drivers a 7 inch mid and a 1 inch high powered tweeter in each. They require a bare minimum of 200 wrms of power to acheive anywhere near their best. This has been measured by many reviewers who recorded power usage during playback at decent levels. If you look back at wardo's post he said he is getting measured 110DB+ spl's and the rated SPL for these speakers is 91db/W at 1 m in open space, lets not forget each doubling of power results in a 3 db increase in SPL which is also dependant on the listening distance and size of the room, in order to acheive a 121 DB SPL at 1 m in open space from these speakers would require roughly 512 watts of power, lets not forget that bi-amping does not result in actual doubling of power, 380 w to bass and 380 w to mid and high its still in essence a 380 W amplifier powering one speaker. To acheive these SPL's that wardo claims it is absolutly impossible to acheive with 1 watt of power with these speakers anyway...

Comment

• Wardo
                                              • May 2006

Thanks for saving me all the trouble of doing the math DL86...lol
                                              I sit exactly 8.6 feet from my fronts and 8 feet from my center. You would not believe how far 800 watts per channel doesn't go HT Addict. I don't know if I could hit 110 db+ with just the fronts. I only listen that loud in 5ch stereo wich adds another 400 watts center and 400 watts rear, ofcourse this does not include my PS1200.

Me buying the 2 RB1090's wasn't just for the high SPL rating. I bought them so I would have excelent imaging and clarity at around 95-105 db in 2ch stereo. And let me tell you something, it worked!
                                              DL86 is soooo right on these 100v3's. They were designed to be played LOUD! They abosultely sound best when you are getting on them, they love it!
                                              As far as 1 watt per channel listening, my 2 year old daughter watches Barney and Laurie Berkner louder than that.

Comment

• Nick M
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

It takes alot more than most people can afford in a standard sized room to achieve true reference levels. You are no where near overkill Wardo... keep goin! :T
                                                ~Nick

Comment

• ht_addict
                                                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Wardo
                                                  Thanks for saving me all the trouble of doing the math DL86...lol
                                                  I sit exactly 8.6 feet from my fronts and 8 feet from my center. You would not believe how far 800 watts per channel doesn't go HT Addict. I don't know if I could hit 110 db+ with just the fronts. I only listen that loud in 5ch stereo wich adds another 400 watts center and 400 watts rear, ofcourse this does not include my PS1200.

Me buying the 2 RB1090's wasn't just for the high SPL rating. I bought them so I would have excelent imaging and clarity at around 95-105 db in 2ch stereo. And let me tell you something, it worked!
                                                  DL86 is soooo right on these 100v3's. They were designed to be played LOUD! They abosultely sound best when you are getting on them, they love it!
                                                  As far as 1 watt per channel listening, my 2 year old daughter watches Barney and Laurie Berkner louder than that.
                                                  Wardo, 800+400+400 = 1600watts. Add in everything else you have plugged in, unless you have a 20A breaker you just tripped it. Maybe I should have said in my previous post that on a continious basis you maybe using no more than 1watt per channel. Even at 8.5ft away you would be receiving 89-95db at the seating position. Levels that are just outside off the saftey range for listening over extended periods of time. Just my 2cents.

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                    • Aug 2004

True,true,true...having two 1090s is a waste.

Wardo,you should sell one ...quickly...it just so happens I'm in the market for one :lol:

Comment

• Nick M
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

Having that much wattage allows you to cleanly hit the brief split second peaks that gives an extra tick of realism and excitement (so long as your speakers can handle it... :lol: )

Unless you're independently wealthy, small rooms are the best option for realistic home theater and audio. So long as you can get proper triangulation for the stereo effect (and imaging) between each channel you're good. Any extra room is just that... extra. I sit 6-8ft from all five of my speakers and two subs with damn-near perfect imaging between them.

Just my $0.02
                                                      ~Nick

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Oct 2002

Ok, Wardo likes power, HT Addict thinks he's wasting money.

That's the farthest it needs to go in this thread. Move to PM's if you would like to continue discussing your feelings on the above subject.

Kevin D.

Comment

• soundhound
                                                          • Mar 2004

Wow, just an observation here, there seemed to be some pretty rough personal attacks in 1 post and it gets excused as a difference of opinion?
                                                          I have seen much lesser get removed all together.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by soundhound
                                                            Wow, just an observation here, there seemed to be some pretty rough personal attacks in 1 post and it gets excused as a difference of opinion?
                                                            I have seen much lesser get removed all together.
                                                            No it was a warning to end the discussion and to get back on topic. Since it wasn't taken seriously this thread is now cleaned and locked. Any future jabs from either member will result in more serious action.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"