Which Rotel amp to power the Proac Studio 110 loudspeakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lopezzz
    • Feb 2006

Which Rotel amp to power the Proac Studio 110 loudspeakers?

Hello!

After hearing to several loudspeakers I decided to go with new Proac's Studio 110.

I was recommended to use the Rotel amplifier to drive these speakers. Last Saturday I did listen the Proacs with Rotel RA-1062 and found this combination, for my amateur understanding, very well. What I liked was the wonderful transparency and rich resolution in high frequencies. What I have been missing was the sovereign bas response (not a big problem).

I ended up ordering the less expensive Rotel amp (RA-03) without a possibility to listen to it, mainly based on the vendor statement that RA-03 will play almost identical with Proacs. It was of course a premature decision and I am going, before spending this amount of money, to compare RA-03 and RA-1062 side by side playing with Proacs Studio 110. But before doing that I would appreciate your opinion on Proac and Rotel combination.

My questions:
    - Did you have a chance to compare Rotel RA-03 with RA-1062?
    - Have you any experiences with Rotel driving Proac loudspeakers?
    - Should I consider any other amplifier (max. 1000 Euro)?

Thank you in advance!

Jarek
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I've actually never heard of Proac speakers, do they have a website?

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• lopezzz
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
      I've actually never heard of Proac speakers, do they have a website?

Thanks,

Kevin D.
      You really should give them a try. Well know British speakers, still made in UK.

Jarek

Comment

• 2bluechris
        • Oct 2005

RA-03 or RA-1062 ?

Hi Jarek , I am currently in a similar position to that you were in , but have not been able to find a comparison audition possibility . How did yours go , and did you prefer RA-03 or RA-1062 ? , thanks , Chris .

Comment

• Boombox
          • Oct 2005

2bluechris....

The RA06 is out..get that...

My dealer noted that the RA03 is better than the RA1062 (though brilliant)...tech in RA03/RA06 is newer than in the RA1062...
          Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• 2bluechris
            • Oct 2005

RC & RB 1070 compared to the integrateds ...

Hi Boombox , thanks for your comment . I will try to get to hear the RA-06 - when a dealer near me gets one ! ____ About your RC & RB 1070 combo , are you happy with the sound of these compared to the RA-1062 , and to any other recent Rotel amps you've heard ?

Comment

• BTB
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by lopezzz
              - Should I consider any other amplifier (max. 1000 Euro)?
              Jarek
              One you should DEFINITELY consider trying is a Naim Nait 5i integrated, rated at 50wpc (8 ohms) but capable of transient current supply that would easily give a 1062 a serious run for it's money (and probably sound better in the process too)... besides from what I know of ProAc's (great speakers by the way ) they have slightly higher sensitivity than many others and as such the Naim should provide plenty of grunt. I would've bought one myself, but it's been my experience that B&W's (like I use) require a bit more oomph in a bigger room like mine to really get going and I decided to play it safe and go with a bigger Rotel. Still not sure that was the right thing to have done... The Naim sells for around 700 GBP, not sure of Euro prices?

For what it's worth... despite the 1062's 60wpc rated output, it actually put's out around 90w(8ohms), but as I mentioned it's transient current output that really counts and here I think the Naim will give a better account of itself, besides, if recent hi-fi mag tests are anything to go by, the 1062 is starting to show it's age now when compared to more recent designs.

2 bluechris... Like Boombox (Hi Boom.. : ), I own the RC 1070/RB 1070 combo, with B&W 704's, I'd say it was definitely a better bet than a 1062 but was there something more specific you wanted to know?

Comment

• 2bluechris
                • Oct 2005

Hi BTB , thanks for your comment . The "something more specific" is in my post about RA-1070 v/s 1062 v/s RA-03 , and which I have read now that you have found , so I will reply to that part under your post there . ___For here I will say :- I agree with you about what you describe as "transient current supply" , but I can't afford the Nait 5i ! About the RC/RB combo I was curious whether with it having the separate power supplies , etc ... , it would thus have audible advantage over the RA-1062 even with the more recent 1062 having been fine-tuned by Rotel for improved audio , and which some of those improvements are likely also in the RA-03 and new -06 . One would have to listen to all contenders with efficient speakers to have fair comparison . I would not be surprized if all sounded equally good but all also sounding a little different to each other - power supplies advantage for the combo , and fine tuning for audio advantages for the integrateds , each causing the differences . The dealer nearest me doesn't seem as interested in that as in selling me an RA-1070 , and that is to be expected as he does have to sell to stay in business . ____ B&W 704 having the additional driver seems to need a higher powered amp - I'd expect the RC/RB combo to have the audible advantage with those in a large room . I was demonstrated the 704s in a small room driven by NAD320BEE and C542 CD player - even in the small room the amp sounded like it was running out of steam as the sound became somewhat harsh and thin {less bass} and was compressing on transients during loud parts of the music - a silly demonstration I thought , so I went elsewhere to audition , plus he didn't have 705s in stock - {and not a Rotel dealer} . ___ 705s driven by Musical Fidelity A3.5 sounded great ! , but I can't afford A3.5 either . Rotel with 705s are in my other post .

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"