I A/Bed the B&W 602 s3 and Paradigm Studio 40 s3

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mike c
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 307

    #1

    I A/Bed the B&W 602 s3 and Paradigm Studio 40 s3

    I paired the 40 s3 with the B&W because only the studio 20 s1 was around
    source and integrated amp was denon.
    please note that this is highly subjective and I am no audiophile.

    I am so glad I don't have a golden ear ... (again, it was the wife who noticed a big difference but mentioned "nevermind for that price" - she did not know which of the two speakers were running)

    sure there was a difference between the two, but if I would assign ratings to the difference it would be paradigm 98% b&w 97-96%. the difference was in the soundstage, the vocals were "higher" or simply "louder" than the b&w.

    you have to consider though that the B&W has one 7" driver doing all the work, while the studio 40 has two 7" drivers (one for the mids, one for the lows).

    I'm thinking the cheaper floorstanding 603 b&w with separate mid and low drivers will be enough to match the studio 40. (or the slightly more expensive 604 will be enough to beat it)

    also, looks wise, with the grills off, the B&W beats the studio series hands down.
  • Pez
    Senior Member
    • May 2004
    • 472

    #2
    I have to admit the studio 40's are a fine speaker. I had them for a short time and was very impressed with the low end it had. Dont forget with the Paradigms you are going to spend an additional $350 (retail) for the matching stand.

    Comment

    • wgriel
      Senior Member
      • May 2006
      • 241

      #3
      I directly compared the 603s with the studio 40s, mostly because they were very close to the same price.

      I definitely preferred the 603s, but that's not to say that the 40s were a bad speaker at all. Both did some things very well, though I found the B&W sounded a bit more refined, especially the upper midrange & higher frequencies.

      I also found that the paradigms sounded a bit brighter to me, which worked with some music, but overall I loved the way the 603s handled Jazz & Blues (which is what I listen to 90% of the time).

      Bill

      Comment

      Related Topics

      Collapse

      • Bill Blank
        1095 too much for Paradigm Studio 20?
        by Bill Blank
        I've got a Rotel 1066/1075 combo and have been contemplating an upgrade in the amp department. I'd like the system to be a tad more effortless with music and more amplifier power is usually the solution. Thing is the 20's are only rated up to 150 watts. Now I know speaker power ratings aren't good for...
        08 April 2004, 12:10 Thursday
      • Audio bliss
        a-23 amp powering paradigm studio 60s
        by Audio bliss
        Hello ..just checking if anyone out there is using paradigm studio vs 3 speakers with there a-23 amp...I'm using paradigm monitor 7 vs3 now,and it sounds very good..I just have been told that the studio line from paradigm is a major step up for 2ch music....I love my halo a23...have had it about 3 months...
        10 October 2012, 20:50 Wednesday
      • legion1capone
        Paradigm and NAD vs B&W and Rotel
        by legion1capone
        My .02 Cents

        I spent the morning in my local Definitive Audio. I hadn't been in and wanted to hear the newest gear they were carrying from Paradigm, B&W, NAD and Rotel. This is my first review so go easy fellas.
        The Gear I paired together

        Rotel RA1520 Int. Amp ($1000) paired
        ...
        04 June 2009, 01:13 Thursday
      • Slice
        (potential) Rotel newbie with questions
        by Slice
        Hi all.

        It's been a long time since I upgraded my A/V system (NAD separates & Paradigm 3se's which I love + Mitsu 20" analog monitor - all very old but still kicking), so I'm long past due for a 'treat'. I would say that I use 50% movies & 50% audio.

        Last...
        05 January 2005, 13:11 Wednesday
      • palmetto
        attributes for av receiver? denon 3805 vs. others?
        by palmetto
        HELP!

        I am about to buy all the components for my media room with a 5.1 set-up. My wish list below reflects my general budget. My focus is on the receiver but other observations or comments on the other components are appreciated.

        Denon 3805 A/V Receiver 120 W x 7 (list:...
        12 February 2004, 17:38 Thursday
      • Loading...
      • No more items.
      Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

        Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

        Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"