X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fish
    • Mar 2004

Upgrade Rotel 1070 vs Bose 901s

I really enjoy good sound but am new to Rotel and not very technical. I replaced my old system with the Rotel 1070 power and preamp but kept my Bose 901s. I'm looking for a little better sound but am not sure if I should upgrade my 1070 pre amp to the 1090 pre amp, or if I should replace the bose 901s. Any suggestions? thanks guys
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Welcome to the Forum Fish. There are many factors to consider, the major factor being budget. You will need to supply your full equipment list in order to provide a knowledgeable answer to your question. My initial thought is to upgrade your speakers, perhaps you can use the 901's in some other capacity (i.e 7.1), just be careful the upgraditis bug lurks :LOL:

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• fish
      • Mar 2004

thanks Azeke, I'm usuing a Rotel RCD 1070 cd, the RB 1070 amp, the RC 1070 pre, and the bose 901s. i was going to give the 1090 pre amp a try with/wo the 1080 power amp but am not sure if that would provide better sound quality given the pricey cost difference. I was thinking that the speaker upgrade might provide the most sound improvement vs $$.

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Hi fish! (that sounded weird to say :LOL: )

Welcome to Htguide....

as for my 2 cents...The speakers would be the biggest and best upgrade...while the 901`s have has some great reviews in the past... a lot has changed and some really good speakers at a reasonable price have come onto the market now.....

Anyway...nice gear by the way!

Bam!
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I would highly recomened a speaker upgrade..speakers have come a long way since those 901's were popular. To that end bose is now a marketing company that spends millions on marketing a less then stellar product to the masses...meaning when you go speaker shopping skip bose and listen to any one of a number of companies.

Comment

• fish
            • Mar 2004

thanks all...will let you know how the speaker search goes. I am really happy with the Rotel stuff and liking the club. off to checking out some more info.......fish

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Fish:

I'll add my 2 cents. I used to be an owner of two pair of Bose 901s back a moon or two ago (in the early 80's). I am sure you and a bunch of folks that either owned a pair or heard them would agree with me that they are built for power. Period. They were phenomenal speakers in their day but all things must pass ... including these beasts. I recall stopping in a hi-fi store and hearing some KEF speakers and I couldn't believe what my ears were hearing. They produced wonderful sounds; the same could be said when I heard some Klipsch LaScalla's and Belle's. I traded in my Bose 901's for a pair of KEF 105.2's and I never looked back.

I'll say with great confidence that an upgrade to your speakers will produce a desirable response for you. That, coupled with your Rotel gear will definitely put a smile on your face.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Jim
              jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• dave
                • Aug 2003

I still do own a pair of 901s and I've got to tell you guys that using them in a center channel capacity is truly a wonderful thing the voice dialoge is very nice and easy to interpet . I would even go as far to say that they would do a fine job as rear channel speakers as for my front and rears I have been living with Vandersteen 3s and 2s for quite some time now the 901s blend with these speakers surprising well when adjusted correctly my advice to you is do some experimenting and then let your ears be the judge. Regards

dave
                Dave...

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"