X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

upgrade dilemma

Help! Can't make up my mind.

I have an old Sony SDP-E800(??) surround processor that I would like to upgrade.

The problem is that all my power amps are old too, even older than the processor. They are Yamaha 2) M80's (250 w/ch) and 1) M40 (120 w/ch) from the early/mid 80's.

With +20 years on them, how long can I reasonably expect them to last? This is one aspect of my dilemma. Will I upgrade pre/pro only to have amps failing tomorrow or next week or next month, etc.? Given the age, repair is probably not an option due to parts availability.

The other aspect of the dilemma is to consider a A/V receiver. The concern here is the all in one box scenario if there is a problem and also the amplifier sections. Since I am use to the power of the old, but very respectable, Yamahas I'm using now, will I be disappointed with the receiver's power for dynamic range (headroom, etc.)?

All opinions greatly appreciated!

BTW - Speakers are Def Tech all around. Front=BP30's, Center=CLR2000, Rear=BP10 and or BP2, Sub=PF1500.

Thanks!
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

If power amps aren't abused, it's not unusual for them to last 20+ years; the biggest factor is the electrolytic caps drying out, and if the amps operate in good ventillation at reasonable power levels, they may still have quite a few good years left.

There's a lot of folks that are very happy with receivers, but aside from one I use in the bedroom with my video setup there, I haven't owned one in the last 35 years. You do have more flexibility to adapt to changing conditions and technologies with seperates. But there is a price to pay...

There's receivers and there's receivers... most these days are not rated for all channels driven simultaneously, partly because that's not often needed in HT, and partly because of the cost pressures. You can buy a starter level receiver for a few hundred dollars, and you can spend up to $3K for one also. You do get something more with the big guys.

Myself, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably look at Rotel, Parasound, Aragon and Anthem suround processors, and enjoy your current amps while looking over what's out these days. There are other good brands, but for HT I'm pretty value oriented.

Regards,

Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Juan Cortez
      • May 2003

I agree with Jon. Separates will give you much better fleixbility, and sound quality. I would like to add Outlaw, and NAD to the list that Jon provided. How much are you willing to spend, we could give better recomendations for equipment to go and listen to.
      Jason

Comment

• JBJR
        • Jul 2004

I would also suggest you look at the Sherwood-Newcastle P-965. It is getting some great reviews.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"