X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmassey
    • Jul 2003

Arrrrggg, I hate my Rotel Dealer

SSIA.... I have stopped into my local Rotel dealer a few times recently to see/hear the 1068 and/or 1067. They tell me they only have the new 1098 and will not get any 1068s in until they sell all the remaining 1066s. Then they tell me I can special order one, but I politely mention that I would actually like to hear a 1068 before I commit to purchasing one. "Oh, OK you'll have to wait then ...." Arrrrg.

It's gets worse. Now someone just slap me if I am wrong here, but my limited understanding is that the 1068 will include DPLIIx, right ? Well this dealer specifically tells me, no it's not "really" going to be DPLIIx, but it will have Rotel RSX, which is exactly the same as DPLIIx, because Dolby is suing Rotel for coping DPLIIx and calling it RSX. Doh, Yeah right. I don't believe this for a minute. The saleman then goes on to say that he just received new Rotel training on these products and this information comes straight form the Rotel trainer, so it's from a good source. Someone just shoot me now.... Why do I want to give this dealer near list price for a piece of gear I cannot demo and then am given incorrect information on it's feature set. What am I paying for with this B&M Rotel Dealer....... Arrrrg, I'm going to scream. every time I go into this shop, I am just disgusted with misinformation, argumentative salesmen and poor/lackng service.

I then shift my attention to a Roku media streaming device that I see they sell as well. The discussion then moves towards features of the Roku and specifically the ability/lack of it's ability to playback mpg2 video. The saleman once again begins to argue with me about it's ability to perform this function. After just reading numerous posts on AVS from the president and one of the cheif software engineers of the company, they clearly indicating that the device currently only plays still pics and not video.

I left the store just shaking my head that I had to endure such poor customer service, with the expectation that I pay list pirce and forgoe a proper domonstration. If Rotel knew of such lacking service from this 'Dealer', I would hope that they would yank their franchise.

I think I'll surf over to AV123.com, where service is the top priority.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Sadly it sounds like you need to find a new dealer ASAP... :?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

If Rotel knew of such lacking service from this 'Dealer', I would hope that they would yank their franchise.
      What's the dealer's name and I'll pass it up the ladder.

Comment

• rmassey
        • Jul 2003

Thanks Andrew, I'll PM you.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

I concur, if you are spending your hard earned dollars, you should be provided quality service, ergo you need to find another dealer. Sometimes you have to pay a little more for QS, but everything is relative.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• eelco74
            • Dec 2002

I know the feeling,

I have been buying my Hifi gear at one shop since 1986. But for the past years, all the good staff have gone. The new staff is where as good. But since it has 5 stores in my area, I went to another one. That was a mistake. On Saturday, the only staff was a 17 year old, who talked even more nonsense.

It is hard to find a good dealer it seems. Mine was for 12 years, but not any more.

Luckily I have been buying my speakers and interlinks at a different shop. He has custom designed speakers, kits, but also sells JM-Lab and Tannoy. He descided to become a Rotel dealer as well. So I pre-ordered my RSP-1068 immediately.

At least Rotel has got a new good dealer in my area.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• rmassey
              • Jul 2003

Re: Bad Dealers

This is a bit of a problem with manufactuers insisting on dealer supported sales only (ala Rotel). Here I am in a small(ish) town - pop 500k, with only one Rotel dealer. I have tried and tried to make nice with these folks, in order to have access to Rotel products sales/support, only to constantly being disappointed with the (lack of) service. My next option is to drive an hour to a larger town with still only one Rotel dealer, problem is it is the same small chain as my local town dealer. I also cannot see buying a rather expensive product like Rotel seperates 50+ miles away and having to deal with this distance over the next five years warranty period. For this type of inconvience, I would rather just buy direct via the internet and deal with paying shipping costs, which of course Rotel does not offer/authorize.

From my perspecitve, this is a major flaw in the marketing plan of only using authorized Rotel dealers. I effectively cannot buy Rotel gear with this situation, unless I am willing to accept a relationship with this rather poor local dealer, which at this point I am not willing to do.

On the flip side, I have had nothing but very positive experience with internet direct companies like AV123, Outlaw, OneCall, JandR etc.

If Rotel would just offer direct Sales, or limited sales thru authorized net dealers, I could happily become a 1068 owner and get on with my life.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Richard I can't say to much but I can assure you Rotel is looking into your situation.

Comment

• rmassey
                  • Jul 2003

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate your interest in communicating this to Rotel.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

I hope this all works out for you Richard. Andrew's a good guy and Rotels a good company I'm sure they'll figure something out for you Keep us up to date fellas.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                    Jason

Comment

• rmassey
                      • Jul 2003

I just received a nice email from Mike at Rotel, thanks to Andrews efforts. Thanks again Andrew.

Mike is concerned about the DPLIIx misinformation and lack of service that I received from this dealer. I'm not sure what can be done, other than Rotel communicating this back to my dealer. At this point I am sufficiently unimpressed with the service from this dealer to make a retail purchase of Rotel products. Now if the dealer was as responsive as Rotel, I'd be impressed.

Comment

• Cowanrg
                        • Feb 2004

rmassey,

i am a rotel dealer in colorado. your experience is horrible. if you want to PM me, i will get you what you need. I have already had one 1068 go out. i know my stuff and can answer any questions you have and get what you need. let me know if i can help. that dealer should lose their contract with rotel. assuming its not the one i work for

Comment

• rmassey
                          • Jul 2003

Cowanrg, Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you with some more questions.

rm

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Good to hear you might have another dealer to work with...and this one should know his stuff

Comment

• KReed
                              • May 2004

The Facts

The following is in response to Mr. Richard Massey's post in the Club Rotel forum titled "Arrrrggg, I hate my Rotel dealer." Let us begin by saying that this is a shock to us because Mr. Massey in no way expressed his dissatisfaction with the information and service we provided him while in our store. We pride ourselves in providing accurate, up to date information and outstanding customer service. The idea of any customer leaving our store disappointed or unsatisfied is unacceptable, let alone someone actually "hating" us.
                              Now, let us immediately address and clarify each of the issues in Mr. Massey's posting. Issue 1: Denied a proper demonstration of an RSP-1068? Certainly not on this visit. There was not an RSP-1068 in the store at the time as they had just arrived at our main warehouse, however not only did we coordinate for an RSP-1068 to be sent down on the very next truck, but also in the preferred color that Richard specified (black). This was done over the phone in Mr. Massey's presence. We then arranged for Richard to return to the store with some of his listening material the following week, after the 1068 had arrived, so he could listen to it. We are uncertain of how Mr. Massey could have associated this experience with what he described in his posting. The Rotel RSP-1068 (black) arrived at our store on Tuesday's truck as coordinated, and is still awaiting Mr. Massey's return to be given a proper demonstration.
                              Issue 2: The information that was provided to Mr. Massey pertaining to Dolby Pro Logic IIx and Rotel XS is somewhat different from what is stated in his posting. It was explained that the initial units did not have Pro Logic IIx (fact). They currently had Rotel XS, which is similar in function. We then elaborated that after a dispute was settled between Dolby and Rotel, (information that was given to us by Mark Schnoll of Equity Audio - our Rotel Trainer) the units would then include Dolby Pro Logic IIx from the factory. Existing units from the initial production shipped without Pro Logic IIx could have it added via a software download (fact). Here is the link to support it. http://www.rotel.com/support/techups/techup-H22.htm Mr. Massey was not told that Dolby Pro Logic IIx and Rotel XS are "exactly the same." We certainly wish that Mr. Massey would have asked us any questions he had about the information he was given, if he doubted its' accuracy. We would have been happy to clarify his misunderstanding for him. A simple case of miscommunication has unfortunately resulted in Mr. Massey being unhappy with our service.
                              Issue 3: The Roku HD1000 does play MPEG2 motion video, just as we informed Mr. Massey. This is a fact. Here is the link to support it. http://www.rokulabs.com/products/hd1....php#playvideo
                              Mr. Massey was under the impression that the Roku HD1000 could not play MPEG2 motion video. He is clearly mistaken, however this information certainly was not exchanged in the context of an "argument."
                              We make every effort to provide our customers with current, accurate information and pride ourselves on doing so. We hope and expect that if a customer interprets our information in a way he or she believes to be inaccurate, that they would simply ask the questions needed to get clarification. We regret that Mr. Massey left our store upset and were certainly unaware of his dissatisfaction with our service until it was brought to our attention at a later date. It is our wish that Mr. Massey not harbor any resentment toward us now that we have clarified these issues. We hope to continue to serve he and all of our valued customers in the future.

This response was originally written approximately 2 weeks after rmassey's original posting in March. The information within this response is accurate as of that time.
                              Last edited by KReed; 17 May 2004, 00:12 Monday.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Just for clarification Rotel's processing mode that is similar to PLII is called XS not SX. I'm also going to delete the other thread as we don't need two identical copies posted...that said welcome to Club Rotel and I'd very much like to see you stay around if possible.

Comment

• BeeBop
                                  • Oct 2003

So now that Richard's name has been dragged out into the open, who is the dealer?

Comment

• Don
                                    • Feb 2003

Not to beat a dead horse, but I too is experiencing what massey went through. One of the salesman (local rotel dealer in my area which is the only one) is also telling me that they have not yet receive their order for the rsx-1056 while another tells me that they have a unit on hand but waiting for the older model to clear the shelves before they will put it for customer demo, he also tells me that he can sell me the unit on hand without any demo and at full price since it is a new product. So I asked why can't I get a little discount since I have purchased some products from them (bw speakers and rotel amp), response was don't do that no more.

I want this unit but if I can't get what I am willing to pay and a good service then I will just buy another brand.

Not to flame this dealer but this is just bad business and just frustrated. By the way the guy that sold me the stuff before has left this dealership. I wonder why?

Don.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2003

It is easy to make these assertions after the problems occur. Perhaps it was the arrogance of the dealer that caused this breakdown of communication between them and the customer; I'd go to Vegas and bet my brains on this. I see this more and more in these threads. To come on this forum and spew but don't cite your business name nor the poster's name is ridiculous.
                                      Last edited by jimmyp58; 16 May 2004, 16:04 Sunday.
                                      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• shadow
                                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Don
                                        Not to beat a dead horse, but I too is experiencing what massey went through. One of the salesman (local rotel dealer in my area which is the only one) is also telling me that they have not yet receive their order for the rsx-1056 while another tells me that they have a unit on hand but waiting for the older model to clear the shelves before they will put it for customer demo, he also tells me that he can sell me the unit on hand without any demo and at full price since it is a new product. So I asked why can't I get a little discount since I have purchased some products from them (bw speakers and rotel amp), response was don't do that no more.

I want this unit but if I can't get what I am willing to pay and a good service then I will just buy another brand.

Not to flame this dealer but this is just bad business and just frustrated. By the way the guy that sold me the stuff before has left this dealership. I wonder why?

Don.
                                        While I understand your feelings, I do not fault the dealer for trying to stay in business. He has paid for the 1055s that are gathering dust and he needs to sell them to get some of his money back. Everyone wants a discount (including me : ) but reality for many small stores is they are close to going out of business. When your local dealer is gone, you can buy at a discount over the net and deal with that set of frustrations too.

Comment

• soundhound
                                          • Mar 2004

jimmyp58, you hit the nail on the head. AROGANCE, When I walk into someones buissines with a plan of spending $1500 because the product has allready sold itself to me, a little personality would be welcome. I react right away by thinking O.K. Mr. salesman, I can play too. I don't like having my intelligance insulted by hearing "How Much", "We don't make anything on these to begin with". I really don't think giving me a $200 break on a $1700 item will take food from his childrens mouth. What it probably would do is make a life long customer out of me, butt, when I get the feeling of their AROGANCE, I feel like their telling me "we have enough life long customers", so........

Comment

• Mr Purple
                                            • Sep 2004

Shadow's got it right... If you can't get what you want for the price you want, then by buying something else for less you've exhibited that you didn't REALLY want it in the first place, otherwise you would have gotten the cheaper thing to begin with. Just don't confuse the two things, as they are probably NOT the same if the price is such a discriminator.
                                            jimmyp58... "To come on this forum and spew but don't cite your business name nor the poster's name is ridiculous." I'll bet it's because the dealer has better things to do than to pander and argue with a handful of bottom-feeders. He gave you his side, and you're not willing to accept it. Move on. If his field is anything like mine, I know where he's coming from.
                                            soundhound... The key to why the dealer probably gave you a hard time is hidden in your post. If you blur your vision and try to see outside your own viewpoint, you may see why.

Just as some of you are fed up with arrogant dealers, I'm fed up with watching my fellow consumers become more and more expecting while willing to concede to less and less on their own behalf. How many of you would be offended if I showed up at your place of business and demanded that you work just the same for me, but for an 11% cut in pay? Don't assume that someone's profit margins will account for what you feel is a reasonable discount. If you ask for it and they say no, move on.
                                            I'll be the first to admit that my first encounter with my dealer was a little cold, but after frequenting the store for a few years and sitting at the counter and watching what these guys have to deal with, I have a better understanding as to why they are the way they are. Most of you walk in with a chip on your shoulder, and I'll bet you don't even know it.

Comment

• phillipk
                                              • Aug 2004

I don't see this as a dealer vs. customer thing. There is a dealer in my town that's been around for at least 30 years that I know of--so they must be doing something right. However, I'll never go in there again.

When I was a kid they always treated me poorly. I saved a lot of money and, naturally, went somewhere else.

Then, I was in the market for some speakers they sold so I went back in (perhaps with a chip on my shoulder)... I told my wife how I was a bit uneasy going back in... but I wanted to hear the speakers. Anyway, it was so funny because she said "at least they're not that Bang & Olufsen dealer we went to go see the phone you got". It was funny she remembered because that was the same dealer and it was about 6 years ago that she came with me.

I can give specific reasons why this dealer makes me uncomfortable... but it's mainly an attitude. They sell top of the line stuff but I think that somehow that makes them think they're better human beings or something. I don't know why, but they treat customers that walk in the door very poorly.

I've been on the other side. In retail (at the most expensive camera store in town) and in direct sales (representing the most expensive photo equipment importer). Again, I don't think it's a customer vs. dealer thing. Also, I agree if the dealer doesn't want to stock something new then that's fine. You don't have to buy from them.

Comment

• hamlyn
                                                • Jul 2004

phillipk
                                                You wouldn't happen to be in Dallas, would you. I had a pretty bad Bang & Olufsen dealer experience, too.

Mr Purple
                                                If a dealer has habitually given A LOYAL customer a 10 - 15% discount to gain his/her continued business, then I don't find that it is unreasonable for the customer to expect another 10 - 15% off on his next purchase regardless of how new the product is. And I, too, would be taken aback if the dealer told me he will not sell me the new model at the same discount as the older model. For that kind of treatment, I don't have to mainain a loyalty, because I can get the same treatment anywhere else.
                                                So while what you say does hold true, it appears that this is a relationship that has been going on for a some time, established and maintained by both parties.

Comment

• Mr Purple
                                                  • Sep 2004

So while what you say does hold true, it appears that this is a relationship that has been going on for a some time, established and maintained by both parties.
                                                  I didn't get that out of the previous post, but if it is true, then I agree with you. As long as there is no EXPECTATION without some foundation -- that was really my point.

Comment

• phillipk
                                                    • Aug 2004

hamlyn, no it was in Portland Oregon. I ended up buying the phone in San Francisco when I was visiting down there.

And, as far as the speakers, I ended up driving 40 miles out of my way to another dealer just to avoid "Snobs R Us". They also happened to sell the two brands I narrowed my decision to... plus Rotel so I could hear with my actual equipment model.

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
                                                      • May 2004

Could have been (blank) dealer

well if it was in portland it had to have been Chealsea Audio?
                                                      Is that a closer guess? :E

Comment

• audiofan
                                                        • May 2004

This reminds me once at local Myer-Emco dealer. When I shopped for A/V receiver and power amp, i was asking about RB-1080, but there was none in stock except one rb-1070 on dislplay and unhooked. I asked if the he could connect 1070 so that i can listen to it since i have never heard of Rotel before. He said he couldn't and turned away from me. ....Geeze , what kind of service it was...and i was disappointed, not about Rotel, but about the dealer that selling Rotel products.....So , that's it , i never go back to Myer-Emco anymore, and i started looking at other brands......

just my 2 cents.

Comment

• hamlyn
                                                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Mr Purple
                                                          I didn't get that out of the previous post, but if it is true, then I agree with you. As long as there is no EXPECTATION without some foundation -- that was really my point.
                                                          Mr Purple,

I stand corrected. The original post does not support my response. I had a different post in mind when I composed my response.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Apr 2003

This whole dealer thing is a significant weakness in Rotel's (and many other brands for that matter) way of doing business. The first time I walked into a Rotel dealer I was confronted with a lot of the same arrogance and snobbery that others have experienced. The second time in to the same dealer I drove in with my Jaguar instead of my everyday Ford SUV. The difference in treatment was amazing, pittyfully amazing, I might add. The second time in I was treated with the respect that everyone deserves just because of the "appearances" that I was a potentially more viable (read that rich) customer. Yet, I was the same person with the same bank account both times.

Nevertheless, my biggest issues with the Rotel dealer network are their lack of product knowledge and the resulting misinformation they dish out. Sorta reminds me of a fancy environment Best Buy with a high pricetag, low discount. I do suppose that there are some really knowledgable Rotel dealers out there. I just haven't one in my area.

I thank the heavens for this forum. With the information available here I am able to #1 make my gear work! #2 not be too buffalowed by the BS spewing forth in the dealerships.
                                                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• audiofan
                                                              • May 2004

man....looks like i have to polish myself before going to Rotel's dealer. I went to local Tweeter with a whole new different attitudes. I just wonder why Tweeter does not carry Rotel... And about the service when you have problem with your gears, i think we'd better call Rotel Service center directly instead of going to dealers?????

Comment

• aud19
                                                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2003

Like everything else guys, some companies have great customer service... some don't unfortunately. Hopefully that attitude will reflect in their sales and they'll be forced to either change or parish. Not all Rotel dealers are bad that's like saying all "X" race has "blank" trait :roll: Let's be reasonable here.

I went through a similar problem here in Vancouver where the downtown Rotel dealers were rude and unhelpful. So I went to the Richmond dealer, I'm sure you can guess where I bought mine and why

Now I know some of you may live in more remote areas where you don't have multiple dealers to choose from. So you've got a few options:

Buy from the crappy dealer and hope for the best.
                                                                Travel out of your way to a good dealer.
                                                                Research and buy other equipment elsewhere.

Now hopefully it doesn't come to that third one as Rotel gear does offer great quality for the $$ but if you want gear and you have no feasible way of getting anything locally, including customer service you find satisfactory, I won't blame you for going elsewhere. You're the consumer you hold the power with your wallet. I don't think we need to continue bashing Rotel dealers for the unfortunate few that don't meet our standards.

Audiofan, the reason bigger companies don't tend to offer things like Rotel is one, they wouldn't sell enough volume to make it worthwhile at least at the beginning and likely wouldn't make enough margin on them either. Two, if they had them there to compare with their large volume, large margin mainstream components those large volume, large margins would start to diminish if people heard how much better the Rotel's sounded comparitively and it would PISS OFF those big companies. In other words they would shoot themselves in the foot. Not to mention those stores wouldn't properly set up Rotel gear for listening and don't offer the level of knowledge and service that most Rotel dealers offer so it's not in Rotel's best interest either.

Jason
                                                                Jason

Comment

• rmassey
                                                                  • Jul 2003

Blast from the past....

Wow, this is an old thread, but remarkably I just now noticed the reply from KReed in May 2004, two months (two weeks?) after my last reply to this thread. I guess I need to check these threads a little more often.

Well after 3 1/2 years when I was first researching a HT SSP, I finally purchased an Anthem AVM 30 (August 2004), instead of a Rotel Pre and have now recently purchased an Integra 9.8. Both purchased from another local dealer in my area. They gave me great service, accurate information, nice discounts and treat me with respect and as a result they received repeat business. I also recently purchased a Parasound 2100 pre from another local dealer. so in the end, the local Rotel dealer lost out on three sales.

I still have never done any business with my local Rotel dealer. And the few times that I have returned to the dealer, they still give me the same poor service, incorrect information and attitude.

No need for details, time marches on and I simply vote with my dollars. Happy New Year 2008
                                                                  Last edited by rmassey; 01 January 2008, 19:05 Tuesday.

Comment

• joetama
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

Old thread... Wow...
                                                                    -Joe

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"