X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wicked
    • Nov 2013

Rotel issues

I purchased a Rotel RSX-1058 back in 2007 so it is now out of warranty. At the present time the unit does not have any audio output.

I called the local Rotel dealer (Stereo Planet) who suggested I take the unit to a local electronics repair shop to have them check it out since they don't do any repairs. So I took the unit in on October 28, 2013.

At the time the repair shop told me they were backed up and wouldn't be able to get to the unit for a couple of weeks, so I waited. Three weeks later I called to find out what was going on with the Rotel and was told that they had tracked the issue down to the DSP circuit but didn't have the Rotel service manual for the RSX-1058 and had contacted Rotel to get a copy but hadn't heard back from them.

I called Stereo Planet and told them what was going on and they said they would contact their Rotel rep to see about getting a service manual to the repair shop (he stated that he didn't understand why Rotel hadn't returned the repair shops call, but would follow up with his rep).

Stereo Planet called me back and told me they had spoken with their Rotel rep and the rep told them he would send a service manual to the repair shop. I called the repair shop to tell them what Stereo Planet had told me and they said Stereo Planet had already called them and told them the same thing - the Rotel rep was going to get a service manual and send it to them. That was two weeks ago.

I just received a call from the repair shop and was told that Rotel would not provide ANY SUPPORT OF ANY KIND to this repair shop. I said "so you mean Rotel won't send you a service manual?" and they said Rotel would not provide the service manual.

I also just called Stereo Planet and they told me the same thing - Rotel requires me to send the unit to a shop in Portland, OR or directly to Rotel.

Now, if this were a warranty repair, I could understand Rotel's position, but this unit is out of warranty. So I just wasted $35.00 and over a month for nothing.

I'm also more than a little peeved at the Stereo Planet for giving me incorrect guidance with regard to the unit's repair. If they had told me up front I needed to ship it off to Portland I wouldn't have wasted over a month and the $35.00.

So you can bet your sweet bippy I'll never purchase another Rotel component. :M
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

I wouldn't blame Rotel. I would have contacted Rotel directly BEFORE taking it in for service, to make sure I could either send it to an authorized repair shop, or directly to Rotel. I prefer to deal directly with the manufacturer, whenever possible, when repairing electronics.
    Brad

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Also, you have to start thinking about how much it's going to cost you to repair is vs. what it's worth. It's going to cost you a mint to ship that unit to Rotel and you can bet the repair will cost $300 bucks minimum. At least if Rotel fixes it, there will be a warranty on that repair should it fail again shortly after getting it back (Which mine did!).
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Typically, a company (like Rotel or any other electronics manufacturer) will only provide technical support to ‘Authorized’ repair facilities. ‘Authorized’ typically means the shop/business has been vetted to meet corporate standards & practices policy. In other words, Rotel does not want a fly-by-night yahoo shop creating bad reputations for them by providing their customers with sub-standard service….things like repairs that are not performed properly, or loss or damage to customer’s property.

Not saying the shop you are using is incompetent…….just that there are certain ways business is typically conducted.
        Unfortunately, it is not always what best serves the customer.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I had that same thing with my RB-1090 which was out of warranty (obviously)... I was going to be about $150 for me to send it to the middle of Ohio (about 3 or 4 hours away) or the middle/eastern side of Pennsylvania (about the same distance from Pittsburgh). So I could either waste a full day driving to drop it off or ship it. Then with the repair charges on to... it just almost wasn't worth it.

LUCKILY, I called Rotel and got the head of the B&W Support Group for Rotel... I explained that I wanted to try repairing it for myself and was curious if I would be able to get the service manual to try to find the problem and then contact him for the parts. Sure enough he gladly sent me the service manual. I then found out it was a little beyond my abilites so I took it to a local shop here in Pittsburgh called VintageHiFi (you can find them at vintagehifipgh.com) and in talking with Tom, he was happy to look at it. Well in less than a week and a very reasonable price they had it repaired and it's running like a champ to this day.

Point of this is... I would call Rotel, tell them it's out of warranty and that you want to try repairing it yourself and would like to get the .pdf of the service manual. I'm betting that you just might get it... Then you should be able to order the parts for it as well once you find out exactly what's wrong... and should be able to get it fixed.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"