X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonicbaer
    • Jul 2006

Hello Rotel fans...neo-audiophile here,,

first a brief Bio..51 years in a nut shell..so if you're not interested then skip to the end..

I lost my yamaha dsp1000 about 15 years ago in a divorce, I thought it sounded alright 15 years ago, I was a single father of two boys...until last year they are growd and on their own now.

So now I can go out and buy something for me...Now here is where I am coming from...I have been listening to a $130.00 Philips micro bookshelf system for the last 4 or 5 years. I built a new computer and thought I'd make it so I could play some music while working in my office...so I got an X-Fi elite pro sound card and went about looking for some decent speakers for it..

what I heard did not impress me much...so I thought to myself...hmmm
    maybe I could get an integrated amp and so good speakers...I started out
    looking at Yamaha's, Denons..then Marantz ..they all sounded good..until I went to Audio FX...I listened to the marantz..forget what model now..just about ready to buy...but thought...well lets listen to that Rotel over there.
    That did it..I had worn myself out driving all over the place...I walked out with
    a RSX 1067, 2 B&W 604s3 speakers ( remember they are just going into my modest home office).

Hooked it up to the X-Fi card on the computer...not bad...
    A week later I got a Rotel RCD 1072 and B&W AWS 650 sub...that's better
    ...a couple of weeks later I came home with a Rotel RB 1090...that's much, much better...I don't know what I'll come home with next week..

I listen to music 99.9 % of the time maybe I'll get around to Home Theater
    later...so most of what I listen to is stereo ...It's a shame to not use the
    other 5 channels...oh well, when I decide what pre-amp tp get for 2.1 stereo
    I'll move the 1067 out to the living room..

I've been playing with different set ups...now I've got the 1072 hooked up to multi input so I can still use the sub,,

what do you guys think is better the DAC's in the RB1067 or the RCD1072...I think I like the current set up...using the RCD1072 analog out to the 1067..
    muti bypass to the RB1090...

and What do you guys recommend for a pre amp for the RB1090...analog ??
    Has anyone heard the RB 1092...no one has one to demo in my town..

I've gotten a lot of good info from you all...been lurking for several months now...Almost feel like a voyeur...so I registered...I guess that makes me a registered voyeur...??? 8O 8O

excuse the rambling...I've been putting my lips on an 18 year old all afternoon
    ... :roll: :roll: 18 year old Glenlivet :B :B ...good stuff...while drifting off to Enya and Loreena McKinnett. oh ya...Johannes Linstead sounds pretty damn good on this Rotel stuff and Kitaro too
  • sonicbaer
    • Jul 2006

ok...no bio this time..

This is new to me...the equipment is new..
    so correct me if I'm mistaken..in order to have sub power in stereo when bypassing the 1067 processor ..one must connect the RCD1072 to the multi input in...
    am I correct in thinking that one would have no bass management or sub out using bypass mode when connected to the cd inputs..and what opinions do you have regarding the 1067 dac vs the 1072 dacs...

Michael

Comment

• eelco74
      • Dec 2002

Michael,

I own a Denon dvd-2900 and a RSP-1068, and I have found the best way is to use the multi input. The DAC in the processor is okay, but the multi channel input sounds better.

The 1067 has variable crossover filters on all channels. So I have a full range setup, but still the speakers are set to small. But I have set the low pass filter on 40 to 60 Hz depending on the speakers. This also means that the sub is set on 60hz.

I found this better than all speakers on large, since in Stereo the sub now helps the front speakers a bit. I you don't like that, just select "bypass mode".

Hope this helps....
      Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

Personally, I'd hook the 1072 up to an analog input and run it in bypass, eliminating the subwoofer. But that's *my* preference.

BTW, I'm an Enya fan, but I'm *not* impressed w/the quality of her recordings.

Comment

• sonicbaer
          • Jul 2006

I like my bass...and I'm just using B&W604's for the moment...and still playing with the equipment set up... until one day I get tired of changing things around or I get some upgrades and start all over again.

have to agree about Enya recordings...they sounded just as good (bad) as all my other cd's on my old cheap bookshelf set...but now they sound over processed and blurry..

Comment

• grit
            • Jan 2005

It's amazing what good electronics and speakers can do and reveal. You'll have to fill in a gap for me here, because I have the 1068 and 1095. You have the system set up to run the CD into the analog multi-channel inputs of the 1067, correct? I aim for analog bypass myself to avoid the DACs in my 1068. I understand the only way to "copy" the signal is to input it into the multi-channel inputs. I believe in that case, you still get an unprocessed analog signal going to the speakers, but also get a digitally copied version of it that is bypassed into the subwoofer. The trick there is that you shouldn't be able to cross over the signal. So you'd need to adjust the crossover using the controls on the sub.

Is that essentially what you're doing with the 1067?

Comment

• sonicbaer
              • Jul 2006

Is that essentially what you're doing with the 1067?
              Yes..why yes that was my intention...

I read the manual when I can...I am currently working 72 hours a week..
              so sometimes I take the path of least resistance that's why I query
              you guys...something else ..I have to re read sub manual...
              I was thinking of using soft bypass mode, run the speakers through
              the sub but maybe not..the 604's seem to handle the bass with no issues
              haven't had a chance to sit down and figure exactly whats going on..

Michael
              Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 09 July 2006, 18:14 Sunday.

Comment

• grit
                • Jan 2005

Sounds like yer on the right track to me. I'd not run the speakers off the sub's speaker posts though. I think you have it set the best way you can.

Comment

• sonicbaer
                  • Jul 2006

Question for Aussie Geoff..I assume you are in a position of high power
                  round here...I see you edited my post ..did I make a blunder ??

I guess I should read the intruction manual for this site..

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Not sure what Geoff was doing, but I think maybe cleaning up the quotation?

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"