X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

RCD 1072 with Sub

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am getting a RCD 1072 to replace my RDV 1060 for CD playback this week. I currently use my RDV for CD playback and its hooked up to my 1067 via digital. When I get the 1072 and hook it up to my reciever via the L and R analog outputs in and use bypass mode how does the sub in my system get used? Will the signal only go to my L and R speakers and not my sub?

I do have a telephone looking jack that came with my PV1 which plugs into my sub and then has wire which you actual attach to the speaker cable where it meets the reciever for stereo play...do I hook that up in additon?

Thanks
  • apodaca
    • Jun 2006

Yes in bypass only L and R gets a full range signal but there is an option for you although not implemented by Rotel as it should (too primitive). If you hook up CD to the L and R of the 7.1 analog input you can set the redirect option in the set up menu to send a copy of bass information to your subwoofer whiithout taking a hit on the soundquality of the L and R . You still get a full range signal to mains but at least you get bass. Other option is to use a second sub with mains going thru sub and using the appropiate crossover setting on second sub. The latter is a more elegant solution and I would recommend it for proper 2-ch playback with low frequency bass deficient speakers.

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by apodaca
      Yes in bypass only L and R gets a full range signal but there is an option for you although not implemented by Rotel as it should (too primitive). If you hook up CD to the L and R of the 7.1 analog input you can set the redirect option in the set up menu to send a copy of bass information to your subwoofer whiithout taking a hit on the soundquality of the L and R . You still get a full range signal to mains but at least you get bass. Other option is to use a second sub with mains going thru sub and using the appropiate crossover setting on second sub. The latter is a more elegant solution and I would recommend it for proper 2-ch playback with low frequency bass deficient speakers.

this cant be. There is no redirect on the analog CD input? My anaolg inputs are currently being used by my Toshiba A1 for TruHD. what about using the analog sub connection in addition to having the digital one? can both be hooked up with out problem?

Since I am only using 5.1 of my 7.1 analog outputs can I plug the CD player into the remaining 2 and then use the base redirect under Zone 2?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

There's redirect on analog inputs, but not when set to bypass. Only the multi-in has that option.

You could use the speaker level connections on the sub, but you would need to disconnect the LFE in. It would be a quick swap when changing sources: CD with bypass unplug RCA cable, plug in RJ11. Everything else unplug RJ11, plug in RCA.

But again, the analog input set to stereo will give you a sub output and use your internal crossover settings. It's just not going to 'bypass' anything.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
          There's redirect on analog inputs, but not when set to bypass. Only the multi-in has that option.

You could use the speaker level connections on the sub, but you would need to disconnect the LFE in. It would be a quick swap when changing sources: CD with bypass unplug RCA cable, plug in RJ11. Everything else unplug RJ11, plug in RCA.

But again, the analog input set to stereo will give you a sub output and use your internal crossover settings. It's just not going to 'bypass' anything.

Kevin D.
          thanks for the rely kevin. If I connect it via analog and not bypass will i loose the sound quality found in the 1072 vs 1060 becuase it has to get converted to digital then back to analog in the processor to inlcude the sub?

I dont want to have to plug or unplug anything.

Comment

• apodaca
            • Jun 2006

You can get an 5.1 analog switch from various manufacturers (they are really video selectors/switches but can also be used for audio with no hit in sound quality). In reality you only need a stereo switch but you could also hook up your RDV for DVD-A with a 5.1 switch and add an SACD if you wished as these can accomodate up to six sources. I plan on getting one for a Toshiba HD-A1 and my SACD player for multichannel input. There are remote capable ones for less than $80 or simple push button ones for as little $20 at Radio Shack.

Comment

• chinets
              • Jun 2005

with 1072 connected to a let us say Rotel Pre/Pro 1098, you will get if you play HDCD, only front L and R without sub ,but if you play HDCD in a DVD player that does not have HDCD format and is connected by optical to your Rotel 1098 Pre/Pro which performs the HDCD format, then you will get true HDCD with the front L and R plus any subs connected to your system. This works In HDCD only, I don't know why but, it does for me and my firends, that have the same system or equivilant.

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

My dealer told me that if I use the Analog out from the 1072 and plug into the CD unput on the 1067 that the sub does get used...is this true?

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

There may be some inherent confusion. All the analog inputs can be set to two different stereo modes.

Stereo = analog signal gets digitized, passed through the crossover and filter sections, then gets spit out the outputs based on your setup. If you have a sub setup in the menu you will get sound out the sub output.

Bypass = Set to this it stays analog and bypasses everything but volume. You only have two channels coming in and you will only have two channels going out (left/right)

So yes, using the analog inputs does allow a sub but only if not set to 'bypass'. Now whether you feel the bypass setting is worth losing the sub is up to you. Or you hook your sub up an alternative way so that it gets the signal from the left/right outputs. Or get a switchbox and use the multi-in's for multiple devices.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                    There may be some inherent confusion. All the analog inputs can be set to two different stereo modes.

Stereo = analog signal gets digitized, passed through the crossover and filter sections, then gets spit out the outputs based on your setup. If you have a sub setup in the menu you will get sound out the sub output.
                    t outputs. Or get a switchbox and use the multi-in's for multiple devices.

Kevin D.
                    thanks. So with the above option since it gets digitized are you loosing any benefit you would gain from upgrading from a 1060 -> 1072 for CD playback in your opinion? I can trade my 1060 in and pay $200 for a 1072 right now. I have a toshiba A1 for all video playback so the 1060 is of no use.

Comment

• Nolan B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2005

I hate to bump this thread up again, but the answer will greatly assist me with purchasing a 1072. Kevin mentioned that there are two Stereo modes via the CD analog inputs. One is Strereo which allows the use of a sub and one is Bypass which does not.

If I use the Stereo in order to use the sub and the signal gets digitized in the prossesor i assume it then has to pass trough the DAC in the 1067 ro 1068? Does that mean I would have got the same sound quality result as just sending a digital signal straight from the 1072 in which case there would be no real sound quality increase between a 1072 and 1060 for CD playback since in the end the DAC in the Prossor gets use in both cases?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"