RSX-1067, its volume settings and more...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jamil
    • Dec 2003

RSX-1067, its volume settings and more...

Is it only me but have other owners of RSX-1067 also experienced that for normal listening you need to turn up the volume between 65-75!!! Did I misconfigure something or is this normal for Rotel receivers? Not really liking this aspect of the receiver though. I am also having some issues with it not passing enough bass to the subwoofer. I thought I did set it up correctly. All 5 speakers set to SMALL with the sub option ON and the crossover set to 80. Maybe I need to play with it some more. Just looking for advice from the experts
    Thanks.

--
    Nasser
  • NonSense
    • Nov 2003

When you balanced the gain of each of the audio channels, what were the settings? You can probably get back some gain on the main volume control by increasing all the relative settings by the same amount.

Depending on your room size and speaker efficientcy, 65-75 may be required to produce a good SPL.
    Bruce

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

The volume numbers are arbitrary and not linear. It's just a number. If turning it to 99 doesn't get loud enough, then you have a problem.

As far as the sub output, sounds like you have it right. Under advanced speaker setup, is everything still set to MASTER? Have you checked and made sure you're not plugged into the center out? It's easy to do.

I would definitely get an SPL meter and calibrate everything correctly. You may have to crank the sub volume up to get it level.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Jamil
        • Dec 2003

Kevin D.,

If 99 is not loud enough the I agree I have a problem However, the volume control needing to be at or above 65 is kind of odd in order to hear simple dialogues in a movie let alone audio tracks of a CD. Maybe the volume control is similar to a MS progress bar (the programmers among us will know what I talking about) in operation per your first sentence. Anyways, I went back and tinkered with the Advanced Settings to no avail. They were set to Master and I even changed them to match the size of the satellite speakers that I have. No luck. Tomorrow I plan on getting the SPL meter to see if the sub can be calibrated. Lets see if focusing on something else rectifies the main volume issue. Thanks for all the response. It is appreciated.

--
        Nasser

Comment

• Robo1067
          • Jan 2006

I haven't had my 1067 for that long but also noticed that I had to turn it up to the 65-75 setting for movies etc as well.
          After using my SPL meter as per the instructions (ie75db) I think I had to turn the volume up to about 81 to get the test tones to reach the 75db. This volume setting apparently is then the reference volume for DTS & DD soundtracks. Have you tried it at 80, it is LOUD!
          For bass settings I have the 1067 crossover set at 80 or 100hz, speakers set to small with speaker crossovers at 60hz as well, and sub set to max. My subs crossover is set to 120 (or you could use the 'direct' or 'by-pass mode). Bass loudness is set via volume control on the sub. I am using a single Velodyne CHT-15R and that also gets LOUD
          Hope this helps,
          Rob

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

I am always between 65-75 for movies and have increase my centre channel by plus 2 which helps for dialog. When listening to CDs its between 46 and as as 60. I have never reached 80 or 90.

Comment

• bob4mvg
              • Mar 2005

For movie theatre sound levels on my 1067, my SLP indicates volume setting 84 for the test tones. I usually have it set to about 80 when I'm viewing a movie, and have had no problems.

Comment

• jayhawk75
                • Apr 2006

i agree with the numbers being used by everyone and it was explained by dealer that it is an arbitrary number and should be no concern because rotel doesnt offer meters as mac does to show levels of power. the bigger concern for me was i got tired of the smell of paint being burned due to the heat after watching or listening for an hour at those levels. i have already installed a 1092 for l&r. no more heat listening in stereo, however dvd watching causes the heat to come back, so i will be getting a 1091 for center. i also found by using the 1092 you will be using the same numbers for volume. dont get into the notion that it is a speaker problem because i have already gone through that as i am upgrading my speaker selection at the same time and i have gone throgh the side by side tests.

Comment

• sonicbaer
                  • Jul 2006

I have the the volume at 60 now and don't think I can go much higher without blowing my ears out..I have the 1090 for L&R.. the volume seems to be about the same before adding the 1090..but much fuller..detailed sound...with cd playing spl meter is reading 85-90 dBs...please excuse my ignorance with terminology and hifi equipment...it's a whole new world to me..and a wonderful world at that...I'm here to learn and I am not thin skinned so any help would be much appreciated..

jayhawk75 how do you like the 1092 ? have you compared it to the 1090 ?

Michael

Comment

• jayhawk75
                    • Apr 2006

so far so good on the 1092. i did not compare to 1090 as dealer is in summer lag and no real stock. my original concept was mac or rotel because of rep and looks.. black is my favorite audio color. i compared against mac and figured that since i am in a state of severe upgraditous, i will go with 2 1092, 1 1091 and the 1067 as processor. in retrospect how many mac pieces could i have for the price of those. now if only i had as easy of a speaker selection but thats for another club.

Comment

• sonicbaer
                      • Jul 2006

jayhawk...what's it going to be the 802's or the 803's ..
                      I'm going to be building a house next year and I'll be trying to make the same decision
                      right now the room my 604's are is not big and the 800's need more space..

ooops wrong club..

Michael

Comment

• jayhawk75
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by sonicbaer
                        jayhawk...what's it going to be the 802's or the 803's ..
                        I'm going to be building a house next year and I'll be trying to make the same decision
                        right now the room my 604's are is not big and the 800's need more space..

ooops wrong club..

Michael
                        current buy list
                        1-1092
                        1-1091
                        2-803d
                        1-htm2d
                        1-asw855
                        of course cables cables cables
                        amps will be first as i dont want any problems upgrading the speakers and i have a heat problem wtih the center on the 1067 so i will get that first. see i put this thread back on track. plus i will read the manual for 1067 when i get some time.

Comment

• zzvelik
                          • Jul 2006

I am considering a Rotel RSX 1067 or 1065 (or Arcam AVR300 or B&K AVR-307/305) to power my NHT 2.5i speakers as I've posted on a few threads. I just heard the Rotel the other day paired up with B&W 602 S3 speakers and it sounded great in 2 channel. I still haven't heard the Arcam yet, nor have I heard any of the above receivers paired up with NHT speakers. As some of you may have heard, the NHTs are power hungry speakers. So I was wondering if any of you have used or are currently using the same or similar NHT speakers with your Rotel receiver? Also, what other receivers did you consider for your NHTs, if any, prior to purchasing the Rotel?

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"