X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeremybe
    • Jul 2006

New Rotel 5.1 or 7.1 System - Help...

Hi-
    I just moved into a new house and decided to replace my Yamaha RXV992 with Rotel seperates - I'm redoing my family room and plan on purchasing the new Sony SRX 60" TV next month and placing a Midatlantic rack in my basement for my Rotel gear - A few questions since I've only had the Yamaha in the past -

The main purpose of the new Rotel system with be for home Theatre with music being the secondary - I have a pair of Axiom M80 v2 floor standing speakers withe matching Axiom center channel - I also have 2 Polk FX45 Bipole/Dipole rear surround speaker and a pair of Polk Bookshelfs

Since HDMI 1.3 was just announced, is it worth waiting for a Rotel system with this functionality? I'm concerned about the DTS HD and DD HD and getting this functionality - What Amp/Premaps would you recommend for this kind of setup?

Also - Anyone have any comments on MidAtlantic racks?

Since I've never wired up an Amp/PreAmp system is it worth having someone like Tweeter do the rack and wiring for me? I've always wired up my own HT before...

Thanks for all teh comments and advice..
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

Wiring an amp/preamp is no more difficult than setting up a DVD-A/SACD player with analog outs... You just have a set of cables (either balanced or RCA) for each speaker being driven, going from preamp to amp... If you wire your own, there's no need to pay someone a ridiculous amount of money to do it.

As far as HDMI 1.3, if you're definitely going HT as primary, it really wouldn't hurt to wait, especially since Rotel's new Processors are being released starting around September, likely when HDMI 1.3 will be made available...

Post CEDIA we'll probably have a better idea on what features their new processors will have, and when they're to be released.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I agree. You sound like you're planning a nice setup it will probably be worth the wait. As far as MiddleAtlantic racks, as you can see from my avitar, I love them. Expensive to get the laser cut faceplates, but they turn out so nice!

The new system will be more complicated, but going with a MA rack with full access it will probably be easier to wire then you're last system. Of course we're always here for any questions you do have.

Kevin D.

Comment

• jeremybe
        • Jul 2006

Thanks for both of your replies, I really appreciate it!I can wait a few more months for the equipment.

Can I buy MidAtlantic racks on-line or do I need to go to a high end audio dealer here? I really have no idea what I'm looking at in the rack space...Any tips on choosing the right rack would be appreciated - I used to wire up Compaq servers in racks, so I imagine the cable management in the Midatlantic shouldn't be much worse...

One other question - I'm going to be placing my rack in my basement, 1 floor below the family room - Would you recommend running the cables straight from the AV equipment to the rack downstairs or using a Patchpanel upstairs and patching it in downstairs at the rack (Thats how I would wire the server) - Once again, thanks for the help!

Comment

• Clepto
          • Feb 2006

Can't speak for racking, as my only experience is with server racks, not AV (; I defer to Kevin for this one.

Comment

• timmay1969
            • Dec 2005

There are some sites out there that will sell the racks and some that will even do the custom shelves for your components. Try www.markertek.com or www.hometech.com.

I bought the largest rack I could fit, the 43 space. I have just blank panels hiding the unused space. There is always room for adding more gear!! If i could do it again, I would get the 26" deep Slim 5. I only have the Slim 5 with the shorter depth.

Use the patch panel, it looks cleaner.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Yeah, I think even Smarthome sells MA stuff as well. If you want the custom cut panels, you can go to Middle Atlantics site and do a model search. It will show you how many rack spaces each item will need. Add them all up and add 50% . Of course since it's in the basement you can always add another later if needed.

I agree on the Slim5's. They allow for most everything but also break down to save you a lot on shipping.

Kevin D.

Comment

• timmay1969
                • Dec 2005

Kevin D. - I modeled my rack and my brother's rack after the pic of yours. I have the anthem D1 but still think that your 1098 looks SWEET.
                What do you use to surpress unwanted sound coming from and behind your rack?

I also have 2 DVD drawers to hide the XBOX games from my kids.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by timmay1969
                  Kevin D. - I modeled my rack and my brother's rack after the pic of yours. I have the anthem D1 but still think that your 1098 looks SWEET.
                  What do you use to surpress unwanted sound coming from and behind your rack?
                  Thanks. As for unwanted sounds the rack rails are bolted to a wall that has a closet behind it. So most the noise stays in the closet ( and allows complete access). It's also about 12 feet behind the listening position. Don't really hear anything from it at all.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Stevebez
                    • Oct 2003

If the question is 5.1 or 7.1 then I would say if its a small room 5.1 - if big then 7.1 ... 7.1 seems to be the future maximum though - I could not bear for a 9.1 to come out gawd eventually we would be completely encased in speakers in a 360.1 configuration ...

There perhaps is an agrument for a centre top i.e. right above the listening position in a 8.1 - but I digress... :W

Also wait for HDMI functionality ... what is it with these people with HDMI / HDDVD / BD lets all join hands, sing a song , get along .... and stop all this damn ping-pong .. ! :lol:

Comment

• jeremybe
                      • Jul 2006

Thanks for all your help and advice - I was looking at the Slim 5 rack - My question is - How sturdy is it since its not welded? My idea was to use the casters so I could turn it to get to the cabling, I do not want to bolt it to anything...

I bought the Toshiba HD DVD player on Friday with the Continental Airlines deal (waiting for it to get here) and Sonys new A2000 SXRD 60" TV should be released in another week or two... Now its a matter of waiting for Rotels new Products - I'm still trying to understand how the 5 channel output from the HDDVD will interface with the Rotel - What I mean is how will the DTSHD and Dolby HD work with an onboard decoder in the DVD player..

Also... With the Midatlantic rack, what options besides the rack itself do I need to purchase? (cable management, coasters, Fan, PDU etc..??) Thanks again!

Comment

• timmay1969
                        • Dec 2005

My Slim 5 is bolted to a 2" x 4" frame. So, it is very sturdy. My rack is flush with the drywall on my back wall and I have access to it from the back.
                        I don't use the casters.

I like the drawers. I have a 2 space drawer that stores all the remotes and component documentation. I have 2 DVD drawers that hold all my movies. I also have some blank panels that have the grated look for better heat dissapation and component separation. I found that a screw gun is a must as the shelf screws take for ever by hand.

One thought for you, plan out your rack beforehand so you don't have to move the shelves often. It can be a real pain when trying it by yourself on a late somewhat intoxicated Friday night. My wife wasn't there to remind me to just remove the component first. DOH!

Following Kevin's lead, I put my rotel amps at the top followed by my anthem D1.

Remember, don't over tighten the screws!

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by jeremybe
                          Thanks for all your help and advice - I was looking at the Slim 5 rack - My question is - How sturdy is it since its not welded? My idea was to use the casters so I could turn it to get to the cabling, I do not want to bolt it to anything...

Also... With the Midatlantic rack, what options besides the rack itself do I need to purchase? (cable management, coasters, Fan, PDU etc..??) Thanks again!
                          The slim-5 is as strong as any of the other racks really (for home use) Once you throw the caster base and sides on is pretty tough (I've climbed on one before, don't ask). The cable lace straps are nice and cheap in the 10-pack. If you go with the laser cut faces I would recommend placing some VTF1's between heat generating equipment. If you do add fans to the top you ned to ditch the vents as it won't circulate correctly with them. I really doubt you will need any fans though.

Kevin D.

Comment

• jeremybe
                            • Jul 2006

Ok.. So lemme see - I think I have this straight now - Order a Slim 5 with a 26" depth - Make sure to get the sides and the casters -Utilize the VTF1's in between each piece of heat generating equipment (The VTF1's are 1U in space) - Utilize the laser cut faces around the equipment for cosmetics (Where do you get these/are they by specific equipment?) and... Use a screw gun and some back panels that have vents for heat (any model number for these back panels? I was thinking of putting a door on the back, but I guess thats not a good idea?

Does anyone have a Rack design tool that lets you pop in and out your components so you can design the system?

Comment

• timmay1969
                              • Dec 2005

Go for the Slim 5 26".

I don't need any fans either.

I ordered all of my custom faceplate shelves from www.hometech.com. Go to http://repnet.middleatlantic.com/RSH/mainRSH.asp to search for your exact model.

Here is a quick search example. I have a Rotel RB-1080. Type in RB1080 and click search. Basically, omit the spaces and the dashes and the manufacturer. The actual part number you will need to have is RSH4A4R ROTEL RB1080. When ordering from hometech, you will need to paste this into the comments when you are ordering.

What front face finish are you going with? I went with black brushed & anodized since my anthem D1 looks the same and most of my components are black. I don't care for the powder coated look and silver just wasn't my thang.

The door on the back isn't a bad idea. http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclos...slim5o.htm#rap - This page might have your part number.

Go to http://www.racktools.com/ for the software.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                • Jul 2006

There is no reason to wait for an HDMI sound component HDMI advantage is that it allows for 1080p video transmission is has no audio advantage. Since the only components that will use HDMI in the foreseeable future are DVD's and screens there is no need for video switching for a long time. Before HDMI there was DVI which lasted a total of 2 years unlees you are ready to change your very pricey gear all the time I wouldn't worry too much about it. Furtheremore, HD DVD and blueray will probably be flops just as DVDA and SACD since you can get hidef images out of a normal DVD using HDMI connections and upconvrting them. That is what Rotel's RDV 1092 does. I don't know how good it lloks though.

Comment

• jeremybe
                                  • Jul 2006

I met with an AV person yesterday who was trying to tell me that NAD is superior to Rotel - I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments on this - I've never heard this claim before - He also recommended I build my custom cabinet and leave room for my floor standing speakers in the cabinet - He recommended I put sound "baffles" in the space around the speaker and put up grill material up front - He also suggested in-wall monitor speakers and a Sunfire sub due to my room layout -

Thoughts?

Comment

• timmay1969
                                    • Dec 2005

I like seeing my speakers. Sunfire subs sound muddy to me, IMHO.

I am sure you will hear many people say that Rotel is superior to NAD.

Did he sell both?

Let your ears decide.

Comment

• jeremybe
                                      • Jul 2006

He really seemed to push the NAD and talked down the ROTEL, it was the first time I'd heard the two compared like that - I'm honestly thinking of using my od Yamaha RXV992 until the new Rotel gear comes out - Originally was thinking I'd buy some Rotel amps and use them with the Yamaha until the DTS HD/Dolby HD Rotel sound processor came out and swap out the Yamaha - But from what this guy told me, the Yamaha is old (since around 1998), the Dolby Digital algorithyms have gotten much better on newer receivers and I'd be amplifying a poor sound source... I'm sooooo confused - I want this room to come out well, but I keep hearing so many conflicting points of view...

Place the speakers in a cabinet with space to breathe or not.....
                                      Use Monitor Gold in wall speakers or not....
                                      Place a sub in the Cabinet or not......

ugggghhh!!! I need to start buying the equipment so my cabinet maker can determien what the dsign should be..

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by jeremybe
                                        I met with an AV person yesterday who was trying to tell me that NAD is superior to Rotel - I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments on this - I've never heard this claim before - He also recommended I build my custom cabinet and leave room for my floor standing speakers in the cabinet - He recommended I put sound "baffles" in the space around the speaker and put up grill material up front - He also suggested in-wall monitor speakers and a Sunfire sub due to my room layout -

Thoughts?
                                        NAD's top of the line "masters" series and Rotel pricier components are pretty similar performance-wise, but NAD's regular componets are not bad either. Go by price and specs. Usually Rotel and NAD are sold in competing stores. That is probably why the salesman was putting down Rotel, he doesn't sell it!

Comment

• timmay1969
                                          • Dec 2005

Maybe his store has a better profit margin on NAD? Both products are good in my experience.

I am somewhat confused by his statement about the DD algorithm. Maybe the yamaha's processor will be slower compared to the newer rotels. I would have to say his is throwing you a line there. A newer algorithm would be DD HD.

I like your idea of keeping the yamie and buying some amps. I did that with my Denon until I could afford a pre/pro and it was fine.

Inwall vs. Floorstander - I am always in favor of floor standers. Dammit, we are men and need to show other men our *gear*.

Inwalls are much harder to upgrade/change but, the newer ones are really starting to sound good.

The biggest mistake I made was worrying about the gear so much and not the integration. IE - can my wife operate this thing?

I went with a harmony remote and a pronto pro and she uses it with no problems, FINALLY!

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"