X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rumatt
    • Jun 2006

Moving from Rotel 2-channel to 5.2

Hi Everyone,

I've spent the last 3 years with the following 2-channel analog setup, used for TV, movies, and music:

Preamp: RC-995
    Amp: RB-1070
    Mains: Paradigm studio 60's

Despite being a great 2-channel system, I spend most of my time watching TV, and movies. It's starting to bug me that for the same money, I could have surround sound during movies. I'm thinking of replacing the RC-995 with a used RSX-972 and adding some surround speakers. Plus, I'm also hoping the RSX-972 might actually sound better for movies, because I would start using the DAC in the Rotel, instead of the one in the DVD player.

So my questions are:

- How are the DAC's in the RSX-972? Would movie dialog be likely to sound better through a 972 than from the DAC in a mediocre DVD player fed through my current system?

- Has anyone else made this transition and regretted it? I listen to music so rarely these days that I can't imagine the 972 would be so much worse as a pre-amp (or even using the internal amps) that it would bother me. Movie and TV sound are more important.

- Will keeping my RB-1070 to drive the mains make a big difference in sound if I'm only driving 4 speakers total? I'm likely to keep a phantom center because I don't mind how it sounds.

- Is there any reason to consider the RSX-1055 over the RSX-972 if my main goal is sound quality for 5.1? I'm hoping to go with the cheaper 972.

Thanks for any thoughs you might have.
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

Not sure, but the 972 may not have as many sound modes.

Eg does it have both Dolby digital and DTS?

Pretty sure it wont have Dolby Pro logic II, but then again the 1055 may not have it either.

I dont know anything about the 972 but I have heard the 1055 in 2 channel, it went loud and sounded great to me.

Download the manuals on the rotel site and check them out .

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Get DD and DTS, a sub?

rumatt,

A long time ago I was in the same position, albeit with an el cheapo system. I too was getting into movies and TV. I went to a surround receiver and 3.1 set-up, then ultimately. I have never looked back. You have a very nice advantage in moving to HT since you have a good 2 channel system (with a dedicated amp). When looking a used receivers, the Rotels are always good performing. I echo bleeding ears thoughts. Make sure it has DD and DTS. If the 972 has these, then that's a good start. If you can find a reciever with Pro Logic II at a price you can afford, that would be a bonus. But there may be better ways to spend that additional money, see below.

One thing to consider as you move to HT. The bass component (the .1) is specifically designed for a dedicated suwoofer. The .1 is critical for the full HT experience (T-rex just isn't the same without it!). There are very few speakers that can produce enough bass by themselves to equal a sub (and they cost a lot of $$$$$). Seeing as you are comfortable with a phantom center (for now!), I would recommend you consider a sub. If you can do a sub and even some very basic rear speakers, that would be very good for HT.

As to the DAC's, I would suggest the DAC's in a Rotel receiver will be MUCH better than those in a 'mediocre' DVD player. IMO, I would suspect that the 2 channel DAC's in the 972 or 1055 to be pretty close to the 955's. Of course, the HT DAC's will be all new to you.

As to the 1070, absolutely keep it for your mains. For your mains, a 1070 will outperform either of the receivers you are considering.

Finally, you can talk to Rotel directly. Their number is on their website. They have been very helpful to me in the past. They can help you decide which of your options is the best bang for the buck.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 02 July 2006, 11:25 Sunday.

Comment

• rumatt
        • Jun 2006

Thanks guys. The 972 does not have Pro Logic II.

Tonight I watched an Art Garfunkel concert on HD. It sounded pretty good, and I kept wondering if the digital output into a Rotel digital receiver would sound better than the DAC in the DVR (questionable quality) fed into the superior analog preamp.

Decisions, decisions... I think I might give Rotel a call, as htsteve suggests.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Last Fall, I was in your position. The only difference being that I place a higher priority on 2-ch music than 5.1 HT.

I bought a RSP-1066 on Audiongon for under $800 total.
          No Regrets.

But with 1066 being a processor only, I also added a RMB-1050 to power my rear surrounds.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• adinfinitum
            • Apr 2006

Rumatt,

My 1055 has PLII, DD EX and DTS - this does make a big difference for movies. Keep the RB1070, even if only for movies it not only gives the main speakers much more punch, but using only 3 of the 5 amps in the receiver gives my other 3 speakers greater impact also. If you keep the pre-amp too, you can have the best of both worlds although no HT bypass will make things a little fidley. If movies is your main bag, then the 1055 is quite a good pre-amp for 2 ch and if you're keeping the power amp, you'll still have very good music.
            http://www.couchpotatosolutions.com.au/

Comment

• rumatt
              • Jun 2006

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'm currently leaning either the RSX-972, RSX-1055, or RSX-1056. I've done a ton of googling, and there is surprisingly little information on the web comparing them. I don't mean in terms of features (I've read all the manuals but in terms of the sound quality and ability to act as a pre/pro. I sent email to Rotel, so I'll see if I hear back.

What I've read is that the DAC's & processing is mostly the same between the 972 and 1055. The 1056 is supposed to be better, having the same DAC's as the RSP-1068.

I'm a bit worried about the reports of hiss, buzz, pops, etc from 1055's and 1056's. Since I'm buying used, I wouldn't have a warranty. For this reason, I may go for the 972, as it puts less money at risk.

And of course, I'm still considering a separate pre. But for the money of an RSP-1066 I could have an RSX-1056 which has newer electronics... decisions decisions!

Comment

• FernandoF
                • Nov 2005

Hi Rumatt,

I can speak for MY RSX-1056. It does hiss but you can only hear it if you stand very close to the speakers (less than 2 feet). Beyond that, dead silence.

In other words, from MY perspective, don't be afraid - that is no reason to avoid the 1056, which is a great receiver.

Good luck !

Fernando
                Last edited by FernandoF; 05 July 2006, 01:11 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"