X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nikos
    • Dec 2005

RMB-1077 and Dual 2 ohm CAR sub???!!???

I have a JL Audio 10W3v2-D2 300W sub in a sealed box that's not being used....

I have no knowledge of electricity really.... so I don't know if asking if these 2 would even work together is a dumb question...

Am I risking of blowing the 1077 if I hook it up to the empty channel(s) I have??? I'm using the 1057 as my pre.

What would be the load I'm sending to it? 100W @ 8 ohm... about 400W @ 2 ohm???? or better should I say 200W @ 4 ohm if its bridged?

Thanks for clearing this one out for me...

nikos
    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC
  • nikos
    • Dec 2005

The following quote is from

Quote " It’s what’s inside that makes this mighty mite special. Under the cover, well perforated for ventilation, sit seven coaster-size ICEpower modules. According to Rotel, the RMB-1077 is capable of delivering 100, 200, or 400W of continuous power into 8, 4, or 2 ohms, respectively, all seven channels driven simultaneously. (Rotel’s larger, heavier RMB-1075 and RMB-1095 aren’t rated into 2 ohms at all.) Even more impressive, the RMB-1077 delivers this power while drawing less electricity from the wall; it generated little heat, never getting more than lukewarm no matter how hard I pushed it." End Quote

I thought I'd add that....

N
    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Just make sure you use two channels of the 1077, one to each coil of the sub. If you were to wire both sub terminals to one channel of the amp, that would be a 1ohm load on the amp (which may work, I'm not going to try it).

Kevin D.

Comment

• nikos
        • Dec 2005

Thanks Kevin!

I'll give it a shot.

What is the difference of voice coils in series or parallel??
        As in how do I physically wire each?

In the sub manual for the W3v2-D2

it says that in "series" the load will be 4Ohm and in parallel 1Ohm...

Just wondering if I can keep the load to 4Ohm

Nikos

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Series resistance is additive:

Voice coil #1 = 2 ohm, voice coil #2 = 2 ohm.
          Therefore; 2 ohm +2 ohm = 4 ohm

Parallel resistance is reciprocal:
          The reciprocal of 2 ohms is 1 divided by 2 ohms
          Therefore; ½ + ½ = 1 ohm
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• nikos
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
            Series resistance is additive:

Voice coil #1 = 2 ohm, voice coil #2 = 2 ohm.
            Therefore; 2 ohm +2 ohm = 4 ohm

Parallel resistance is reciprocal:
            The reciprocal of 2 ohms is 1 divided by 2 ohms
            Therefore; ½ + ½ = 1 ohm
            Very good explanation !!!

could you help with the actual wiring of this? How do I wire it to be 4 ohm?
            Do I take the plus of one coil and connect it to the minus of the other?
            and do the same for the other two +- ? and then just feed it from 1 amp channel? or is the way Kevin describing above the way to do it...put a 8ohm channel on each of the 2 ohm coils???

thanks

Nikos

Comment

• Sim reality
              • Aug 2005

You take the + from on voice coil and connect it to the - of the other voice coil and then connect the remaining unattached + and - to the corrensponding + and - terminals on the amp.

This will give the amp a 4 Ohm load...

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

If you have two free channels on the 1077, I would just run one to each voice coil to have 800 watts go to the sub (400 to 2ohm + 400 to 2ohm). That would be better then using one channel, 200 watts to to both coils (coils in series, 4ohm total).

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"