X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeHard
    • Jan 2004

Help with RSP 1066 and sub

My home theater is controlled by a RSP 1066. Until now I have not had a dedicated sub in My system, and have relied on a pair of power towers for bass. I have decided to add a powered sub and have some questions. I want to run the towers as "large" and sub as "YES". Is this acceptable? What about the Bass Management issue this Rotel is Known for? Will I need to do the BM fix? How do I do it? How do I adjust the crossover? Thanks for any help.
    Joe
  • foeth
    • Apr 2006

> I want to run the towers as "large" and sub as "YES". Is this acceptable?

Yes, it is. IIRC, you can have the bass directed fully to the sub (small speaker setting), have the large speakers handle the bass and the sub only its LFE channel (large speaker setting and sub to yes), and have the sub do both its own LFE channel and front bass (MAX, speakers to large). Manual:

"Select the MAX setting for maximum bass output with normal bass being duplicated by both the subwoofer and any LARGE speakers in the system."

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

The bass management issue only applies to the multi-channel inputs. Without modification it's the equivalent to setting everything to large and running the sub MAX.

Like Foeth said, setting fronts to large and sub to yes will only have the sub playing when .1 information is available (from Dolby Digital and DTS tracks). Setting the sub to MAX will give sub output all the time, but you will have double bass as information will go to the sub AND to the front speakers.

What are your front speakers and what kind of amp are powering them? Very few speakers need to be set to large when a sub is present. Best bet is to lower the crossover to 40 or 60hz for everything but stereo and then set the sub to OFF for stereo.

Kevin D.

Comment

• JoeHard
        • Jan 2004

Thanks for the help. My speakers are DefTech BP2002 and amp is B&K AV 5000, 105 w.p.c. X 5. I will try the settings suggested by Kevin as I am looking to the sub to fill in on movie soudtracks more than music. I do have a universal sacd, dvd-audio player and listen to both formats, How does this affect My plans? Thanks again.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

When listening to the universal player through the multi-inputs, all 5.1 channels from the player will go to the correct speakers. In addition, any sound 100hz and below on the five main channel inputs will go to the sub output in addition to the five main channel outputs.

What you will find with more capable main speakers is your bass might be a little boomy as you will get a lot of overlap on the 40-100hz range. This will be disc dependent and you might find yourself playing with the subwoofer volume a lot. It's relatively quick and easy to disable this 'feature' if you want so that the 5.1 inputs go direct to the 5.1 outputs. You need to snip two resistors on the multi-input board, let me know if you want me to post the info.

If I were you, I would wait until you have the sub installed and have played around with things. Thousands of people have been quite happy going through life never knowing there was an 'issue' on the multi-inputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• JoeHard
            • Jan 2004

Thanks for all Your help. I plan on doing some serious listening.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"