X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billy0544
    • Feb 2005

RSP-1068 sub setting Question

I just received my 1068 today and have been toying with it all night long. I'm having trouble setting the sub to "yes". Let me try to clarify my question. If I set my fronts to Large and sub to "yes", the sub does not produce any sound, but when set to "max" the sub works with the fronts set to large. If I set my fronts to small or large the sub will work with "yes" or "max". Any clue why the sub "yes" setting is not working with the large front setting? This setting worked fine on the 1056 I just had. Any help would be appreciated.
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

I have never owned a Rotel preamp or receiver, but I do have the Rotel RMB1075. I think the problem is that you are setting the L and R to full range(large), so all the bass is directed to the L and R. If you set the fronts to "small", then you should be able to select "yes" to the sub. When setting speakers to "small" on the receiver or processor, you are using the crossover to direct all the bass and LFE(low frequency effects) to the subwoofer.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

With large speakers and sub 'yes', the only bass you will get out of the sub is from .1 tracks on DD and DTS sources. Sub 'Max' copies the bass information from the front channels and routes them to the sub as well.

The 1068 works the exact same as the 1056. Chances are you had other settings in the advanced menu that altered the master settings for certain sound modes.

Kevin D.
      Last edited by Kevin D; 01 April 2006, 11:48 Saturday.

Comment

• bulitnv
        • Mar 2006

This is true. I spoke with my dealer about this same issue. According to him, Rotel did this on purpose. As most people do not listen to a sub when in 2 channel mode with fronts set to large. I find this a bit of a pain, since I listen to such wide varieties of music, my B&W's don't reproduce the bass I desire in certain music. Now, I have to go to my OSD, change everything around, set the sub to max, adjust the volume, then enjoy. Problem is, I have to change this for each CD I put in.
        The dealer told me they had been in contact with Rotel, along with several other dealers, hoping this would be addressed in a future software upgrade. Hopefully it is not a load of crap.

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

Another way to go if you're using full-range speakers in front and want to use your sub, is to set them to 'Small' and then just set the crossover lower for the fronts only (e.g., 40 or 60 Hz).
          Brad

Comment

• Clepto
            • Feb 2006

But using the small speaker/ low front speaker crossover point wouldn't allow you to use bypass mode, correct?

Depending on your player, you might be getting better sound from the player than the processor...

Comment

• bulitnv
              • Mar 2006

If you use the Multi In Bypass mode, changing the settings on the OSD do nothing, because you are BYPASSING the processor................I tried this this morning, in Bypass, pulled up my OSD, messed with all of the settings/frequencies........nothing changed.

Comment

• Blindamood
                • Sep 2003

Yes, bypass mode does just that...bypasses any processing, including crossover settings.
                Brad

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Of course in MULTI input mode, setting 'LFE REDIRECT' to on, will send a copy of everything 100hz and below to the sub as well. It double the bass, but works well for those with smaller speakers.

Kevin D.

Comment

• weijst
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by billy0544
                    ... Let me try to clarify my question. If I set my fronts to Large and sub to "yes", the sub does not produce any sound... If I set my fronts to small or large the sub will work with "yes"...
                    Hmm, that certainly clarifies things...
                    Originally posted by Kevin D
                    ...The 1068 works the exact same as the 1068. ...
                    thuh! :roll:
                    Would you please check your messages before you press the 'submit' button? Thank you...
                    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• lotones
                      • Apr 2006

Hi. First time poster, but long time lurker, so be gentle... :unsure:

I've been setting up an rsp-1068 for the last couple weeks, and so far I love it! My question also has to do with setting up the subwoofer:

Is it "better" to use more power from the subwoofer's internal amp or to boost the signal to the sub from the preamp?

I'm using a Definitive Technologies ProSub 100tl with a 250w internal amp. Not house bouncing but perfect for my smallish room. Right now the volume knob on the sub is set at 11:00, or just less than half. The test tone volume sub setting on the 1068 is at +7. The bass sounds tight and full without being boomy. But is + 7 a bit high?

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks for reading.

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

I prefer to keep everything as close to 0 as possible. IE, if some are +3, some are +7, I'll drop the three's to -2 and the 7's to 2. Maintaining the 4db spread.

But honestly, unless you spend a lot of time above reference level (80+ on the dial), there won't be a difference.

Kevin D.

Comment

• lotones
                          • Apr 2006

Thanks for the quick response!

No, don't spend too much time even near reference level, lol. But I do bounce back and forth between formats. I tried to balance the bass signal using the multi/bypass and dvd-a material (figuring that's what I want to sound the "best") using the volume on the sub to get what I consider sounds "right". {without low frequency redirect btw...} Then I set the delay settings and volume settings to sound "right" in the processing dept. That's how I arrived at the settings I have.

But, given the smallish room and the close proximity of the sub, it could just be right for the room. Or a characteristic of the sub itself.

I'll let it play for a while and decide if I want to recalibrate.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"