X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Junkjet
    • Mar 2006

1056 setup question???

Hi All:

I will finally be adding some rear surround speakers to my 2.0 system; tomorrow or the next day I hope . I’ve ordered a set of Paradigm Studio 20 v3 and am just waiting for the call to pick them up. My question is how should I set the base management up being that I don’t currently have a sub or center channel. I’m thinking of keeping the fronts set at large and doing the same with the rears. Is this correct? Also what should my next purchase be the sub or center ch.? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Junk
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

yes, "large" while you don't have a sub yet.

personally, I'd choose sub first before the center ... but that's me.
    both of them are very important in movie watching use.

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

A lot of dialog is sent to the center channel, many have opted for the primary 5 (right, left, center, surrounds) prior to a sub. It is a very good idea to stick with not only the same make for center as you're mains, but also stay with the same series so you get a seemless blend. There is much to be said for timber matching.

Comment

• foeth
        • Apr 2006

For stereo I'd buy the sub, for movie I'd definitely buy the center sooner than later. I second soundhound to keep your set of the same type. Even within a series of the same manufacturer, the sound from front/rear/center may not integrate as well as with identical speakers. If you have the space/money you can even consider using 5 identical speakers. This can be really worthwhile for 5.1 music playback. I used the large floorstanders for the fronts and smaller floorstanders for rear, and the difference when switching to all large was worthwhile. This could be different with other manufacturers though, some speaker manufacturers use the same crossover filters & eletronics in the midrange/tweeter large floorstanders as in their bookshelfs/monitors. The bookshelves become quite expensive, but are audibly neutral with your fronts. The cheaper bookshelves look exactly the same (same cabinet, midrange and tweeter) but sound worse.

Comment

• Junkjet
          • Mar 2006

Hi All:
          Thanks for the advice. I ‘m still undecided on the upgrade path at this point. I do listen to more 2ch than movies, however whenwatching tv if your seated off from the center of the room and are closer to the front speakers; the sound from the left or right front speakers can be distracting at times. The dialog is obviously coming from the right or left of the TV screen. I think you know what I mean.

I’m still waiting for my dealer to call me to come a pickup my new speakers; I hate waiting for new stuff. I think I'll take a nap.

Junk

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"