X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jaynaldo
    • May 2006

HDCD & 1068 issue

I was listening to a Jim Brinkman CD which is recordered in HDCD. The 1068 started to in HDCD format then jumped to PCM 2CH. And the format would jump In between song selections causing the music to stutter. Any suggestions to remedy this issue?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

What's you're source? I've seen units take a second or two to lock back on to HDCD between tracks, but never falling in and out during a track. If you have the option, you might switch between optical and coaxial (or try a different cable).

Kevin D.

Comment

• Jaynaldo
      • May 2006

Kevin,
      It only happens in between tracks. Currently, I'm using a coax cable. Does this happen on a regular basis with HDCD formatted CD's?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

It should happen with every HDCD with your current setup. Does it do it when the next track naturally occurs, or just when you advance it? If the second, what firmware are you at on the 1068 (hold down mute and read the display)? I believe a later firmware holds the unit in it's current mode longer when it losses digital sync so that it doesn't default to PCM and then re-find the correct mode.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Jaynaldo
          • May 2006

It only happens in between tracks. The firmware reads V1.2.5-051026. Is there any remedy for this? Thanks Kevein for your help

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

You've actually got a never firmware then Rotel has released on their site. It might be a new problem that has gotten introduced, but it's probably an incompatibility with your source. Some sources don't follow exact specs on their digital outputs and if it mutes the digital outputs between tracks this will cause the Rotel to default to PCM until it gets a signal lock again.

You can try an optical cable if available, or call Rotel to see if they've had increased reports since 1.2.5 has come out.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Jaynaldo
              • May 2006

Thanks Kevin. Same result with a optical cable. I'll email Rotel to see what they have to say. Like you said, it could be the source. I'll try a different HDCD.

Comment

• aquaanox
                • Feb 2007

i have the 1057 hooked up to a cambridge audio 640c cd player . Currently using the DAC in the CD player i dont see the HDCD light up on the reciever while playing a HDCD. Do i need to go over optical in order for the reciever to recognise the format. The CD player was expensive and i mainly got it for quality of the internal DAC, so to use optical wouldnt be a preference. thoughts ?

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Correct, it needs a digital signal to decode the added HDCD information. Some CD players have an HDCD decoder built in and do send it out analog.

Kevin D.

Comment

• lotones
                    • Apr 2006

Unless this is happening on most of your hdcds, I think it may be the way the cd is mastered. I've had this happen on only one hdcd I own, the latest remaster of King Crimson's 1st album. The cross-fade between the second and third track had to be remixed and for some reason that 5-10 seconds isn't hdcd encoded according to the 1068 and the dvd player. The sound drops out and back twice while the 1068 switches modes.

And I think there are some cds in which not all the tracks are mastered in hdcd, so it may just be the way the Jim Brinkman cd was mastered.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"