X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pfarrell
    • Mar 2004

Overheating RSP 1098

I have a RSP 1098, a RMB 1075 and a RB 1090. Ever since I moved into my new house and installed the equipment on roll out shelves I have noticed that the 1098 seems to get really hot. I can hold my hand on the top of the unit without it burnering me but it is very hot. They are on separate shelves with about 1-2" of clearance in the order shown above with the 1098 the highest unit.

Pictures are attached.

Sometimes I have noticed that there is a slow clicking noise coming from the 1098. When I shut it down and it cools off, the noise goes away.

I believe I have allowed for proper cooling and have about 2" of clearance on the sides, back and top.

Any suggestions?

Can I installed a 12 volt cooling fan that runs off the 12 volt trigger? Is there enough power in the 12 volt trigger to run a fan?

Thanks, Pat
    Attached Files
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The 1098 does get hotter then a lot of amps. It looks a little tighter then I would want, but should be ok. Possibly residual heat soak from the amps below it.

A small fan should be all you need, but I would run a relay off the 12v trigger it doesn't have enough amps to run a fan by itself.

Kevin D.

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

as Kevin said. You might also consider mounting the pre below the amps since the rising heat from them will have less effect on your pre that way, assuming the utility and use of the pre would not be compromised unacceptably.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

If you haven't already, I'd drill some nice big holes (5 times 3 inch or so) in all the shelves to improve the airflow up through the stack. The 1098 runs hot and should probably have a bit more space above it, or some big holes in the shelve above it - hot air rises, and its got to go somewhere! That's a really nice looking installation though
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• mike c
          • Dec 2005

what color are those Rotels?

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Or could you move it to the top shelf away from the amps? It also seems you have more clearance on that shelf.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• pfarrell
              • Mar 2004

color of rotels

Originally posted by mike c
              what color are those Rotels?
              They are black.

Comment

• pfarrell
                • Mar 2004

thanks

I appreciate everyones input. I will see how to add a little airflow.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Get a couple of fans in behind the units or mounted to the shelving (adding holes to the shelving of course)...this will help circulate the air. I dropped 20 degrees F by adding some fans (two for the 1095, one for the 1098, and two for the 1080). I think with the fans running (which run at 1300RPM, 38.6CFM per fan and at 17dbs) it has really improved the heat within my cabinet. My amps barely ever get warm to the touch now (has to be really hot in the house and the glass doors closed for them to get warm to the touch). Look around here and other forums for many different ways to approach this. I chose the computer fan route since it allowed me movement of the fans and I had an extra PSU from an old computer sitting around (little 200watt silent PSU). So far it's one of the best things I've done!

So it might be something to look into with a couple of fans to help move the air around your gear.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• raider
                    • Dec 2004

What works real well are those computer slot fans that you mount in the computer's pci slot for cooling the inside of the case!!!
                    They move alot of air and are quiet :T
                    I have one laying flat on top of my 1098 toward the back and use a thermostatically controlled power supply that turns the fan on at a preset temp (95 degs) is where mine is set. :T
                    It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

Yep, those are great fans Raider!!

There's also fans that use thermal controllers with them, that's the ones I got, I dropped the thermal sensor into the heat sinks on all the units (just put it in the hottest part after having everything running for an hour). Those work extremely well, the fans never get blazing fast to make a whole lot of noise, but they do run faster as the amps/processor is put through some heavy and loud use.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"