Will a RB-1080 amp improve my RMB-1075 based system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jaynaldo
    • May 2006

Will a RB-1080 amp improve my RMB-1075 based system?

I have gone separates crazy. I am looking for advise in regards to purchasing a 1080. Right now I am running the 1075/1068 w/ 1092(DVD)combo and pushing the definitive technology 7002(mains), 2500 (center) and bpv2(surrounds). A friend of mine suggested to get the 1080's to run the mains and keep the 1075 running the center and surrounds. My only concerns are-will I be able to tell the $1,000 difference in audio/video? or will i just be wasting a $$$.Any advise will help.

Jaynaldo
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

I change my 1075 to bi-amp L and R, and that was a big improvement over "normal" usage. I doubt a single 1080 for L/R would be better than a 1075 in bi-amp mode, but I can't confirm. I am considering a 2nd 1075 to bi-amp all 5 speakers. A 1080 for L/R and the 1075 bi-amping the center channel could be a bad choice, creating a mismatch. The other alternative is a 1077 or 3x 1080 in bi-amp on L/C/R... Not sure which way to go.

Comment

• JDH
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by csuzor
      I change my 1075 to bi-amp L and R, and that was a big improvement over "normal" usage. I doubt a single 1080 for L/R would be better than a 1075 in bi-amp mode, but I can't confirm. I am considering a 2nd 1075 to bi-amp all 5 speakers. A 1080 for L/R and the 1075 bi-amping the center channel could be a bad choice, creating a mismatch. The other alternative is a 1077 or 3x 1080 in bi-amp on L/C/R... Not sure which way to go.
      I use the RB-1080 to power my mains and the RMB-1075 to power the surrounds, I use two channels of the 1075 to bi-amp the centre. From my experience there is no mismatch I can detect between the 1080 and 1075 as long as you have propperly adjusted the levels.
      Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• blues651
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jaynaldo
        I have gone separates crazy. I am looking for advise in regards to purchasing a 1080. Right now I am running the 1075/1068 w/ 1092(DVD)combo and pushing the definitive technology 7002(mains), 2500 (center) and bpv2(surrounds). A friend of mine suggested to get the 1080's to run the mains and keep the 1075 running the center and surrounds. My only concerns are-will I be able to tell the $1,000 difference in audio/video? or will i just be wasting a $$$.Any advise will help.

Jaynaldo
        Hi, different speakers will respond to the upgrade you speak of differently , that said I have never heard your speakers before so I can only tell you my experiences. I have paradigm studio 100's had them originally paired with the 1075 sounded decent, tried passive bi-amping sounded a little better, then got a 1080 a lot better, improved the lows,mids,highs, more detailed. Worth $1,000 only you can be the judge of that, to me it was. Since then I have moved up to the 1090 and all I can say is Wow, I think they sound incredible . Like I said before all speakers will respond differently, the 100's like high current and have responded well, you could buy a used one off Audiogon for around $650 and if for some reason didn't like it you could turn around and sell it for the same price. Greg

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I agree it is speaker dependant but you should notice a difference, particularly with 2ch listening. Oh and I'll always take one more powerful amp over biamping with two channels of a less powerful amp
          Jason

Comment

• Jaynaldo
            • May 2006

How should the levels be set?

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Equally, with an SPL meter
              Jason

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

I would certainly vote for the RB-1080 running the fronts, but of course I am biased.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• bleeding ears
                  • Nov 2004

Jay, if a 1080 is too pricey , you could go for a rb 990 bx or a rb991bx.

These models are older versions of the rb1080, but from what I can tell there is little difference, apart from the 12 volt trigger.

The specs read pretty much identical for each of the three units, but the older amps are much cheaper.

Another advantage is that without the 12 volt trigger you wont have to be concerned about any problems that some of the 1080 amps had.

I myself went with the 990bx used and it goes just fine.

Better than a 1075 bi amped? I dont know!

Perhaps you can tell us if you get to do a comparison.

Pete

Comment

• Jaynaldo
                    • May 2006

Thanks guys for all your advise. I went to local audio/video store and placed an order the 1095 amp. He said it is backordered till June. Any truth to that? It waas more feasable and simplified everything with the 1095 amp.

Comment

• grit
                      • Jan 2005

Yep. I got one of the last 1095 amps back in feb/march (I forget which). They've been back-ordered since. As Azeke said, depends on your speakers. I upgraded from the 1075 to 1095 b/c the 1075 could not handle my new speakers (Aerial 7b's) as well as the olds (B&W 703's, etc).

Comment

• bleeding ears
                        • Nov 2004

Jay, nice purchase, be sure to post your impressions of the 1095 compared to the 1075 amp.

There are lots of us out here trying to justify (to the spouse) an expensive upgrade.

Your information will be helpful to many. :P

Pete

Comment

• Jaynaldo
                          • May 2006

I'm in the same boat as many of you (spouse). For me , it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I'm a first time Rotel owner and I'm glad that there is a loyal and suportive following. I'm neither a audiophile/videophile but I like haveing nice equipment. Rotel was definetly worth every penny both in performance and in looks. All of my family member and friends are more than impresssed when they watch a movie or just too hang out. So when the 1095 finally arrives, I'll see if there is a huge or subtle difference. The def tech speakers are bipolar and have a 12" woofer and a built in amp in each fronts so the extra horsepower should be interesting. The only issue about the 1095 is that it is an absolute monster in regards to size.

Comment

• Glen1
                            • Feb 2004

I had a 1098 and a 1075 for a while and found that the 1075 was a bit lacking in the top end and a bit bloated in the bass department. I added a 1080 to power the fronts and this improved the sound markedly. The top end opened up and there was much more control in the bottom end. I think the 1075 is great for 5 ch duties but as a two channel amp not a patch on a dedicated two channel amp. Unfortunately I couldn't use the 1075 to bi-amp the centre so as I was running a 5.1 system two channels went wasted.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                              • Nov 2004

glen, which speakers are you using with your 1080 amp?

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"