X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpauline
    • Dec 2003

Is now the time to upgrade?

Went to my dealer today after listening to the 1098 and 1068 last week. What is a good discount on Rotel products? Said they would give me 20% off retail on either plus $700 Canadian, $525 USD for my RSP 976.

Is this a good deal?

Looking forward to owning the 1098.

Mark
  • Jason Brown
    • Jan 2004

I don't know enough to comment about the trade-in, but 20% off is the best I've ever heard of. I believe 10% is about the norm for Rotel discounts and I did a little better than 15% after previously establishing a good relationship with my dealer.

Comment

• MattCXII
      • Feb 2004

Mpauline,

Was that from Steve's TV? Im a local to the area and they gave me a fantastic deal on a 1066 + 1075 combo.

Just curious.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I'd say jump on it my friend, that's a great deal! :P Boy will you be happy! You should think about adding a 1080 or 1090 2-channel amp and going to 7.1 too! (budget allowing of course )

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• mpauline
          • Dec 2003

Matt,

It is not from "Steve's". I went there but the guy I spoke with, who is supposedly an "audiophile", does not know what he is talking about. He was rude and condescending :evil: . It was not the salesman that you met with.

It sounds like from the replies that this is a good deal. The AV dealer just had a trade show and is offering all the Rotel gear at 20% off for past customers and their friends. I was surprised to even get 20% off the new 1068.

I listened to the Lexicon MC8, the Krell Showcase, the Anthem AVM20, and the Rotel RSP 1098 and RSP 1068. In my opinon the 1098 ranked right up there. For me I liked it more than the Krell and the Anthem. Cannot really say about the 1068 because it was not "broken in" yet nor had it been tweaked. Thanks to Rotel forum members for pointing out the breaking in period.

Maybe my ear is just use to the Rotel equipment. I cannot justify spending another $1500 to $3000 for a preamp that is no better sounding than the Rotel. Now do I buy the 1098 or 1068 8O

Rotel equals great equipment for bargain prices compared with the competition.

Mark

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Now do I buy the 1098 or 1068
            That's easy..if budget allows go for the 1098 and you'll never regret it nor sit at home wondering if you made the right choice

Comment

• spiffnme
              • Apr 2003

That's a might big "if" though.

Btw...what's the 1068 typically going for? I can't help tossing around in my head...if I sold my 1066 on audiogon, and could get a decent discount on a 1068...that would be a pretty inexpensive upgrade.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
              All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I agree, that's no small potatoes...Definately worth a second listen comparing the 1068 and 1098 directly (after the 1068's more broken in too). If you don't require the added functionality of the 1098 and the sound quality difference is negligible to your ears why fork out the extra cash? However remember you may need/want the added functionality and you just might be willing to pay that extra $$ for better sound reproduction... so do all your homework

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                Jason

Comment

• mpauline
                  • Dec 2003

Went again today to listen to both pre/pro's. Definitely the 1098 gets my vote. Now tonight I just have to rationalize spending $2000 Canadian more for the 1098 versus the 1068.

The 1098 does a better job on seamless steering across the rear and side channels. Watched "Gladiator" in DTS ES. It was a substantial difference compared with watching the same movie with my RSP 976 offering the decoding. The 1098 also has a more "open" soundstage than the 1068. The 1068, IMHO, sounds more compressed or to put it another way more subdued or unnatural compared with the 1098. Please don't be offended by my comments if you own the 1068, it is a great processor for the price.

Mark

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Sounds like you made your decision

Jason

Jason

Comment

• dbart
                      • Jan 2003

What is the MSRP for the 1068 in Canada?

Comment

• mpauline
                        • Dec 2003

MSRP on the 1068 is $2499 and on the 1098 is $4499. This is in Ontario.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"