Used RSP-976 or New 1066? Budget issues...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Elias
    • Feb 2003

Used RSP-976 or New 1066? Budget issues...

I have the opportunity to purchase a RSP-976 for $500. Or, I could purchase a new 1066 for approximately $1400. Given the situation described below, I'm tempted to get the 976, but only if the two-channel sound is not dramatically inferior to the two-channel sound of the 1066. If I get the 976, I can also get new mains and a sub, thereby maximizing my budget for 2003. I can live with the single crossover point of the 976 and the absence of DPL II, but I can no longer live with poor two-channel music. I have auditioned the 1066 and was pleased with two-channel music. For various reasons, I have only been able to hear the 976 in 5.1 theater mode, never two-channel music mode. Do you believe the difference (if any) in two-channel music is enough to justify the 1066 over the 976? In other words, I can get the 976, new mains, and a sub OR I can get the 1066 and a sub this year. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Background:
    I have a budget of $1800 for sound upgrades in 2003.

I need/want: a pre/pro, a subwoofer, better speakers all around, a good CD transport.

I have: Rotel RMB-985 Mk II amp, an old Denon AVR-1000 Pro Logic receiver, five mismatched, mediocre speakers from JBL (main), Polk (center), and Infinity (rear), and a TOshiba DVD player I'm using as the CD transport.

Goal: A dual purpose (2 - channel music/5.1 theater) system that is a significant step up from my current setup.

I have decided to get a Rotel pre/pro, the North Creek Borealis DIY kit for the mains ($700), and a DIY 12 or 15" sealed sub ($400). I will probably use DIY kits from North Creek for the rear speakers and the center channel. I have not decided on a CD transport.
  • Ricky
    • Aug 2000

I would definitely upgrade the speakers and sub, no matter what. Then do the best you can with a $500-600 prepro: Rotel 976, Rotel 985, Acurus Act3, Denon AVP8000 (no dts, but the 5.1 and 2 channel still rivals the Denon 5803).

Comment

• Steve Elias
      • Feb 2003

Thanks Ricky, for the advice. I suspect the sub will provide the most noticeable difference, with new mains running a very close second.

All things being *approximately* equal, I plan on going with a Rotel pre/pro of some variety for the somewhat silly reason that I would like 'visually matched' components. I've only heard/read bad things about the 985, so unless you know otherwise, I'll stay away from that model. Thanks again.
      -Steve

Comment

• Ricky
        • Aug 2000

Steve,

Yep, the sub and mains will be great upgrades. I'm stuck with the matching cosmetics too....I love the way my four parasound components look on the rack. You mentioned a quality CD transport :P

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?dgtltran&1048541359

Comment

• RogueAngel
          • Jun 2002

I think speakers will make the biggest difference in 2-channel.

My speakers are all DIY, and I got all the crossover parts from North Creek and I must say the stuff they carry is very first rate. You will be pleased.

Let us know how this goes for you, and looking forward to having another DIY'er here at Club Rotel.

Comment

• Steve Elias
            • Feb 2003

Thanks for the welcome, for the validation of my cosmetics issue, for the validation of the North Creek choice, and for trying to spend my money on a CD transport I'll post pictures when the speakers are built.
            -Steve

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"