Are there many Rotel RDV 1060 owners out there that have player failure???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

Are there many Rotel RDV 1060 owners out there that have player failure???

Hi Everyone,
    My 6 month old Rotel RDV 1060 is damaged due to laser allignment problems so it had to be replaced. I had my dealer give me my money back in credit Instead and just ordered a Marantz DV9600 from him. I did that because my friend here has replaced 3 damaged 1060s that had manufacturer defects such as progressive sacn problems, flickering problems, multi extension board damaged and the list goes on.
    My dealer in my area has had every Rotel RDV 1060 returned for some problem or another. Apparently Rotel is recalling many 1060s in silence, because I believe they have noticed many incidents of manufacturer defects and that are worrying!! That is exactly why I went for the Marantz Dv9600 ,to get myself far away from a replacement with another Lemon as my friend has experienced 3 times.
    What is the Problem here. Has anyone out there had DVD 1060 problems and what were they??? Why is the 1060 such a Lemon?????
    Can everyone respond here who has a 1060!!!!!!!!!!
    Ciao,
    Chinets
  • sirbogey
    • Mar 2006

Owned one for a year without any problems. Thank God. Knock knock. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

By the nature of the forum, we would hear about it. That said, we've had an occasional issue, but no massive failures or problems.

I'm not sure what's going on in your area, but I highly doubt Rotel is 'secretly' recalling the units.

Kevin D.

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

In the whole of the Middle East...All Rotel RDV 1060 have been recalled for failures and replaced by either credit or after fixing. I chose the credit as I don't want to return to another possible Lemon after Rotel fixes my player.
        They could have sent a bad batch to this neighbouhood ,but I still don't trust that 1060 at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a coincidents trust me!!!
        Chinets

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

No Problems

I've had mine for a couple of years with no issues other than a dirty IR sensor. Works great.

Comment

• Rob Baker
            • Apr 2006

I was once looking into buying the RDV 1060 DVD player. I was told by the dealer that Rotel subs out the making of there dvd players to JVC I think it was. Has anyone else heard that ?

Baker

Comment

• Marlboroman
              • Aug 2005

It really doubt that Rotel is concerned about it much anymore since the RDV-1060 has been discontinued for some time now. Not sure what the problem is that you all are having but I do not recall seeing any issues with that model, other than DVD-A problems but I think that was more on the way the DVD-A discs were being authored and not so much a Rotel issue.

Comment

• fordster
                • Feb 2005

My 1060 has started playing up a bit now. I've had it about 18 months now and so far it's been fine except for being unable to play certain DVD-A's when I first got it (very quickly fixed by Rotel). It is an intermittent problem where it won't play certains DVDs at all (but used to play them and the discs play on my other 2 players) and other "stutter" a little but are then okay. Cleaning the lens seems to improve it for a while but then it gets worse again after a short while. It's not a major problem (at the moment) but I will be taking it back to my dealer when I get chance as it's still in warranty. It's odd because my previous DVD player (a Denon 2800 MkII) did the same thing but to a much greater degree (and then died). Meanwhile my old Pioneer 535 keeps on playing anything I throw at it. I'm starting to think it's a waste of money buying high(er) end DVD players.
                Dave

Comment

• chinets
                  • Jun 2005

Thanks guys,
                  Thanks for your kind Feed Back. I loved My Rotel 1060 until it died under warranty, as I had it only several Months. My dealer will give me full credit for it ,and I am awaiting my Marantz DV 9600, which I hopw will be better than this Rotel. I loved the Rotel when it was working ,but I hope this Marantz will make me happier than how I was with the Rotel when it worked??
                  I appreciate all your kind comments,
                  Chinets

Comment

• lvhung
                    • Jun 2005

Rotel is good in amplifier
                    but DVD is I am sorry

Comment

• mself
                      • May 2006

rdv-1060 can't read disk - Rotel won't help

The unit started malfunctioning a year after purchase. It would lock up playing cds and not read some dvds. I notified Rotel wihtin the 2 year warranty period but did not take it in for repair because it still worked most of the time. I thought it was a cd or dvd disk problem. When it finally quit altogether I took it back to the dealer a couple months after warranty expired. $500 for the repair. Rotel says it is out of warranty and they do not want to help even though they were notified before warrant expired. I purchased $3500 worth of equipment and now must spend another $500 after a couple of years to keep working.

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

Hi Mself, Sorry for your troubles!!!!!!
                        That is exactly what happened to me and a few other friends of mine as well. It is that exact problem I faced and thank God my dealer took it back and refunded me full value and I just bought fhe Marantz DV9600 as I truly believe that Rotel is hopeless In DVD.
                        Rotel has great Pre/Pro and Amps and also there CD players, but DVD HMMMMMMMM!!!!!! I know too many people that had nasty experiences with the RDV1060 and RDV1050. Rotel know they have a serious problem with there DVD players ,but are shutting there eyes on all this as they want to relaease there new DVD player. Hope for them success, but we the customers who are stuck with 1050 and 1060 lemons always get screwed by the big boys. Not fair!!!
                        Make sure you check well your 1060 and 1050 before the waranty is over, as these players don't even last a year Tsssssss!
                        Chinets

Comment

• fordster
                          • Feb 2005

mself, not sure where you live but here in the UK we have consumer protection law that states products must last for a reasonable amount of time. Whilst this can be vague it is generally accepted that 3 years for electrical equipment is a minimum. We can therefore march back into our dealer (but not go direct to the manufacturer) and insist that they resolve our problem even if the warranty has expired. Obviously it depends on the problem and if you've abused the item you've got no chance but in most cases you would be covered. Maybe you have something similar where you are? Most people here in the UK are not really aware of this (including the shops so you may have to be assertive).
                          Dave

Comment

• geeza
                            • Jul 2006

Hi, Everyone

I got one around three years ago. In this period my 1060'er has died twice. First of all it won't respond to any aspect ratio changes. Service has replaced "video module" and put new firmware. After a year dvd disc reading got worse and worse till 'no disc' message apeared on display permanentley. Drive and "controller module" has been replaced for 300$!!. Meanwhlie I've changed my tv set and noticed new issue. Flickering problems with progressive scan on, but only during play dual layer oryginal dvd's (even brand new ones). With dvdr's and single layer discs, problem doesn't presist?! What is going on?
                            So, how do I feel? mhmmmmm upset?! :/
                            Anyway, I'm happy with audio/video signal quality.

PS: If any of You know how to avoid PS flickering, I will be very very grateful.

_______
                            Andrzej
                            Andrzej

Comment

• Russ L
                              • Jul 2006

My dealer got downright upset when I tried to buy a Rotel DVD/CD player to go with my RSX-1057. He said they weren't good and recomended Marantz even tho he sells Rotel too. Too bad cause I wanted the matching component. When a dealer tells me to buy something thats less money than the Rotel there must be a prob. Great amps tho.
                              Russ

Comment

• sirbogey
                                • Mar 2006

Didn't have time to take it to a shop yet, but will do so shortly. Worked fine for about a year, until I plugged in a trigger cable and started having issues with my RSX1055 right away. Then I found out it won't let me choose the language my VCDs. And most recently I found out the SCART transmits only background audio... On top of everything, CDs and DVDs started making noise while spinning. I hope I get my money back! Still got 1y warranty on it...

Comment

• Pierre Fouche
                                  • Feb 2006

Hi there,
                                  My RDV 1060 is still going strong after 2 and a half years hear in South Africa.The Rotel backup here is good anyway.
                                  "Do not critisice the Farmers with your mouth full of food"
                                  :eating:

Comment

• srinathalapati
                                    • Jan 2006

Hello,

I own a RDV-1060 and my player started experiencing failure (unable to read most discs). The player is 3 years old. I took it in last week and the technician told me that the traverse assembly is bad and hence the entire loading assembly needs to be replaced for a cost of $450 (approx with labor).

I would not recommend anyone buy Rotel at this point (at least not their DVD players). I sent an email to Rotel asking if they would cover this repair and I am waiting to hear back.

Regards
                                    Srinath
                                    Rotel RSX-1055 Rotel RDV-1060 Tannoy Saturn S8

Comment

• sirbogey
                                      • Mar 2006

thank God they replaced mine, while the player was still under warranty. But it takes 10secs before my player reads the disc now! uuuuuh aaaaaah!

Comment

• fordster
                                        • Feb 2005

Mine is going back to Rotel this week as it's now got to the point where it either fails to read a disc or plays the titles but then stops when it gets to the menu nearly as often as works fine. I just need to get the box out of the loft, pack it up and organise a courier. I rang Rotel and they can only collect from a business address and my company don't allow that so I have to sort out the courier myself. It's a shame but as my local dealer has closed I would have had to pay to send it back to their head office anyway.
                                        Dave

Comment

• fordster
                                          • Feb 2005

Got my player back from Rotel yesterday (it only took a week so very happy with that). Not wanting to jinx anything but so far it seems fine, much better than before. The fautl was tracked to a "faulty DVD assembly" which has now been replaced. It seems to be picking up discs much quicker now and never faltered during yesterdays 9+ hours of continous use. Let's hope it stays that way!

I have to say that Rotel (B&W in the UK) customer service is superb.
                                          Dave

Comment

• chinets
                                            • Jun 2005

Fordster,
                                            Sorry for all your troubles!!
                                            Congrats on getting your Rotel back, and good to hear some good NEWS about Rotel's service. I am glad to hear that!!!
                                            Enjoy your treasure!
                                            Cheers

Comment

• fordster
                                              • Feb 2005

Thanks Chinets. I have to say I'm so pleased to have the player back as I use it a lot for playing CDs. While it was away I swapped in my Rotel RCD-02 and it just wasn't the same, the RDV-1060 is a lot better. It's strange as the RCD-02 sounds fine on my system in the study. Even my wife noticed, I think I've managed to make her an audiophile!!
                                              Dave

Comment

• chinets
                                                • Jun 2005

Fordster,
                                                You are welcome!!

I have the Rotel RCD 1072, and it sounded way better than my old RDV 1060 that I had . Now I have the Marantz DV 9600 instead of the RDV 1060, because I had major problems with the 1060 In Video.

Now back to the RCD 1072, which I believe if I am not wrong ,that it sounds just a little better than the RCD-02, so why would you play CDs on the DACs of the RCD-02 rather than the RDV 1060. In Analogue 2 channel bypass and In 5 channel anlogue I way prefered the smooth sound of the 1072 over the 1060. To my ears the 1060 sounds too mechanical and digital.
                                                The 1072 has a better sound stage that is more holistic and 3D, and has a larger sound stage, and the sound is more musical yet smooth with lots more tighter bass than the 1060 for sure!!

Just a question to ponder on!!!

I think with good electronics and good speakers the 1072 or the RCD-02 should sound better than the 1060 anyday!! I don't know your setup!! Could it be your set-up as I could not listen to CDs on my EX-1060 ,and still kept my 1072 ,and still love it.

Sorry not trying to knock it down ,but do you rerally like the sound of CDs on the 1060 over your RCD-02??? Amazing!! The 1060 for DVD-A, YES ,NO comparison to the 1072 but CDs IMHO i didn't like that thin sound of the 1060.

How do you have your 1060 connected? Digital , Analogue, coaxial, optical and do you have the 6 analogue connected for DVD-A set-up? Just curious!!!

Well, I am glad you finally have your player back and enjoy!!
                                                Sorry for the curious questions!!!

Cheers!!!

Comment

• fordster
                                                  • Feb 2005

I use the RCD-02 and RDV-1060 over analogue into a dedicated stereo amp. The RDV-1060 is connected to an RA-1062 and the RCD-02 into an RA-01. When I moved the RCD-02 downstairs whilst the 1060 way away for repair it was connected to the RA-1062. And yes, I really did prefer the 1060 over the RCD-02 and by quite a margin. It has much more detail than the RCD-02. On my RA-01 system the RCD-02 is fine but this is a second system that I don't use for critical listening. It's more for playing in the background whilst I'm working. I'm sure the 1072 would be better but it's a question of space.

I don't actually have the 6 analogues connected for DVD-A as I only have 2 discs and they both have 2 channel options so I just use that. I use B&W CM1 speakers on the 1060/1062 system and Quad 11Ls on the RCD-02/RA-01.
                                                  Dave

Comment

• sirbogey
                                                    • Mar 2006

Fordster, good to hear your 1060 is back. Looks like we've had the same problem and the same solution. Is your loading tray much slower in reading discs when you insert them? 'cause that's what happened to me. I find the loading of the disc and/or recognizing procedure of what it is inside quite a tedious process. I need to wait for like 10 seconds... I guess I need to ring 'em up myself..

btw: I finally got the Oppo 971 and am comparing video qualities (not audio) to the 1060. I got to admit that the 1060 with component cables (not in HD) is not that far away from the Oppo 971 which runs at 720p in HD. Unless I'm doing something wrong, or the Oppo arrived broken.. let me find out.

Comment

• fordster
                                                      • Feb 2005

Yeah, saw your post about the Oppo and posted a link to AV Forums which has and FAQ and a list of firmware fixes, issues and gripes. I've not noticed my 1060 being slower at reading discs but then it was never that quick to start with! I find the time for it to recognise discs acceptable though.
                                                      Dave

Comment

• sirbogey
                                                        • Mar 2006

Thanks fort the link.

Comment

• mfinucane
                                                          • Apr 2007

ROTEL RDV CD Problems

Hi

I bought a Rotel RDV 1060 because it sounded better than everything else I compared it to. However, I've noticed that it was always slow loading CDs and over the last week, it simply won't load cds any more - it just comes up with a message saying 'No Disc'. I can hear it whirring up, and clicking away as if it is trying to read the media, but nothing happens. DVDs and DVD Audio still work fine.

I'm very pissed off, it seems that the laser, as mentioned, is indeede misaligned and I'm dropping it in to be repaired at the weekend, however, having seen so many complaints about it on the web (I should have researched before I bought - DOH!) I've kinda lost faith and will be trading it in for another brand. Shame - it really does sound better than pretty much everything else in its price bracket.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • May 2005

Originally posted by mfinucane
                                                            I've kinda lost faith and will be trading it in for another brand.
                                                            An Oppo DV-981HD perhaps? US$229.

Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.

Comment

• sirbogey
                                                              • Mar 2006

The Oppos are great, if you are lucky and get one that works... I remember some people complaining sending theirs in, couple of times, until receiving one that really worked... I had the 971 for 2 weeks and OMG, the build quality is very poor.. and the remote, yikes, outa space... :rofl:

Comment

• saltafevgas
                                                                • Dec 2004

My 1060 does not read anymore DVD's, mpegs or anything. The total failure started slightly more than 2 years after purchase, so out of warranty. I cannot use the device for anything anymore.
                                                                Unfortunately, I happen to live in Greece where the words "customer orientation" do not exist, so: once bought we don't care anymore....
                                                                So I spent 800 euro on a top brand dvd player that started giving problems one year after purchase and completely failed 2 years after purchase. I think I'm going after that name-less 50 euro dvd player from the supermarket.. and hey, it plays DivX aswell !
                                                                Rotel, I wouldn't recommend you to my worst enemy.

Comment

• Henk
                                                                  • Jun 2003

My RDV 1060 packed up within months after I bought it about 2 years ago, unable to read DVD audio discs. Traded it in for a Denon, which proved to be a substantially better product. My RSP 1098 and RMB 1075 and 1090 are brilliant products, but the DVD player sadly was no match.

Comment

• sirbogey
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2006

Interesting to hear that all over again. My RDV1060 had some problems midway, but after fixing it, it's still outshing many other players. 3y old now...

Comment

• Cactus
                                                                      • Feb 2006

I have two RDV1060. Have had them for nearly two years and yet to have an issue. They both get used daily.

Comment

• La Hof
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • May 2010

:M I've had my Rotel RDV 1060 since new and have had nothing but problems with it. I've reached my final tether and will be taking out my $1000 worth of frustration on it and packing all the bits and pieces up and sending it to Rotel with a message saying what I think they should do with it. (And it wont be pretty)

Sorry Rotel, I always thought you had good gear, but since I've had problems with my 2 items I've purchased from you then I will NEVER EVER EVER buy any Rotel gear again, and will strongly reccommend that no one buy any of their crap!

Comment

• Opus007
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by La Hof
                                                                          :M I've had my Rotel RDV 1060 since new and have had nothing but problems with it. I've reached my final tether and will be taking out my $1000 worth of frustration on it and packing all the bits and pieces up and sending it to Rotel with a message saying what I think they should do with it. (And it wont be pretty)

Sorry Rotel, I always thought you had good gear, but since I've had problems with my 2 items I've purchased from you then I will NEVER EVER EVER buy any Rotel gear again, and will strongly reccommend that no one buy any of their crap!
                                                                          La Hof,
                                                                          Welcome to the forum.

I have no experence with the RDV 1060.It appears though that many of these units where defective.I am sure that due to the age of the unit that you have no recourse in getting it fixed by Rotel.

I would never of kept a piece of gear that did not work properly or live up to my expectations.I would of contacted Rotel and the dealer and returned it promptly.It seems that others did exactly that and was refunded full purchase price.

That being said, you can not judge all things made by Rotel as crap, although I do understand your frustration.Rotel does make some fine equipment and also their tech support is awesome.

You mention that you had nothing but problems with the 2 units.What was the other unit or was it a second RDV 1060 ?

If your only reason for joining this forum was to rant... I hope it helped.There are many knowledgeable people here on this forum and also some dealers so if you need help we will be here.

Comment

• La Hof
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • May 2010

Yes my other Rotel item is the RSX-1055, purchased at the same time and while in the manual it stated it stored it's memory for 30 days, which I found only to be about 3-5 really. I sent this back for repair under warrenty and it came back with 'no fault found'. I thought it was a bit rude of the service department.

The original problem with the RDV-1060 was that if there was no disc in the tray is would reset itself every 30 seconds to the second. Took it back under warrenty and they replaced only one of the PCB's inside it, can't remember which one it was.

I have since got a technician where I work to look at it and I have now replaced every electrolytic capacitor on the Power Supply PCB and it seems to be working now... BUT FOR HOW LONG!!!. They should last more than 5 years...

My point still stands, as I've got a Yamaha CD player, 12 yrs old which lives in the shed where there is excessive heat / cold / moisture and dust. This has not missed a beat, which says something for the reliability of Yamaha.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2005
                                                                              • 2649

#39

Hi La Hof,

Just to put Rotel gear into perspective, I've owned a Rotel RCD-855 CD player for 18 years (approximately) and it has never caused any problems. I've also owned a Rotel RB-1080 amp for 3 years and a Rotel RC-1082 preamp for 2 years, both with no problems.

The mistake that Rotel made was to manufacture DVD players. The mistake that you made was to buy a Rotel DVD player. C'est-la-vie.

Nigel.

Comment

• JDH
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2004
                                                                                • 270

#40
                                                                                I've owned my Rotel RDV-1060 for around 5 years without a problem, recently it has been used as a transport in a 2ch music system in the livingroom using a Benchmark DAC1 and I've since upgraded to a OPPO 83 Blu-Ray player.

The worst optical device I've ever owned was an Onkyo CD player (which I thought would of been more reliable. I had the laser fail in it during the warranty period and again the next year outside of warranty period. To Onkyo's credit they still repaired it for free as they said the second laser shouldn't of failed so quickly !!! Also had an issue with a Panasonic DVD recorder in that the DVD tray would not open and close properly.

I guess there are lemons in every brand.

JDH.

Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• La Hof
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • May 2010
                                                                                  • 4

#41
                                                                                  Thanks guys,

Toshay... Perhaps just don't buy the Rotel DVD player. My Rotel AMP while having the memory issue, does sound good and does not need replacing.

I'm looking at purchasing either the Yamaha or NAD player in the next couple weeks, and will purchase separate DVD and CD players, anyone got any good suggestions?

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2002
                                                                                    • 4601

#42
                                                                                    On the 1055, does the settings fail after 3-5 days while plugged into power?

If so, you have power issues at your house and that might explain some of the 1060 issues as well. The 10 series receivers do have an issue where brown-outs and quick power cycles can default the unit. Plugging the unit into a voltage regulator or battery backup should fix that.

Kevin D.

Comment

• La Hof
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • May 2010
                                                                                      • 4

#43
                                                                                      Thanks Kevin, (You're spot on they, do fail while the power chord plugged in, with the main power switch on the front of the unit the only switch, which is off.)

That sounds like it could be a contributing factor to my problems, however in saying that, I haven't experienced any problems with any of my other electrical devices. Plasma / PVR / PC / Yamaha CD player, etc.... Which kind of highlights a forgotten thought to the Power Supply for the RDV-1060??

I live in Australia, so I'm not sure if the 240V changes in the power supply PCB, have made these particular items a little sensitive to power.

I've contacted my local distributor and he has suggested I take it in and discuss these issues with my DVD player. I would really like them to change the power supply PCB, at a minimal cost.

I can live with the 1055 losing it's settings, as I now leave it in stanby mode (with that bright blue light on) so I don't lose any settings. Haven't suffered from any issues yet. Touch wood it stays that way and I can keep it for a few more years yet.

Keep you up to date with our local distributors thoughts. It will be great if I can get the DVD working and for the next 3-5 years not have any issues.

Cheers Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                      Search Result for "|||"