RDV-1060 information needed. Is it out there?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan_MF
    • Apr 2003

RDV-1060 information needed. Is it out there?

I'm currently on the waiting list to receive a silver RDV-1060. None of the RDV-1060s have arrived in the Midwest yet, but should be arriving soon.

I'm a bit anxious to make the purchase. I'm not all that comfortable making a purchase of an unreviewed, first-run piece of hardware - especially when the unit plus all necessary cabling will run well over $1k.

So, could any of you help to ease my mind? Are there any upcoming reviews of the unit? What do those of you already in possession of an RDV-1060 have to say?

HELP!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

My dealer got a bunch in a few weeks ago and they all sold out quickly so I haven't seen one either. He did say that one guy came in and set up all their higher end DVD players incl the Denon 2900 and ended up taking home the 1060 which speaks very highly of its video quality.

Comment

• aramb
      • Apr 2003

I just received my RDV1060 DVD player this week. It is a stunning unit in Silver... although the rest of my Rotel gear in my rack is black.

The audio quality is phenomenal. DVD Audio performance is impressive.

Video quality... well, it is hooked up through my RSP-1066 to a Seleco Sim2 HT300 DLP projector. The colors pop off the screen, however, compared to my old Sony DVD player which is a first generation unit, the picture is much DARKER. And in very dark scenes, it is practically unwatchable... whereas with the old Sony, the dark scenes had a lot more contrast. I have not had the projector re-calibrated since getting this new DVD player, so I am reserving final judgment until that happens. Also, I seem to notice edge enhancement and other imperfections in poor quality transfers than I did with the old Sony... probably as a result of the higher resolution DACs.

Also, my projector sometimes has problems locking into the signal from this player. It was always rock solid stable with the old Sony (which was not progressive scan, BTW) however, with the Rotel, my projector sometimes is unable to lock onto the picture (more often in Progressive Scan mode, than with it off).

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on how to solve these problems with this unit... I would appreciate the suggestions.

Overall... I think it is a phenomenal audio unit... as for video, we'll just have to wait and see!

Comment

• aramb
        • Apr 2003

Just a follow-up on my previous post. I decided to try doing some tweaking on my projector myself. The ISF calibration is next week, so I figure if I screw it up too bad, no big deal. Anyway... I got the RDV1060 looking as good or better than my previous DVD player with just a few adjustments. My anxiety about purchasing a lackluster video performer is now gone. Whew!!!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Good to hear it was just a matter of tweaking the PJ settings. I've found fairly major differences between players as well so it didn't surprise me to hear one was darker then the other. Keep us posted on how the ISF goes. Who's doing it?

Comment

• xavierzx11
            • Aug 2003

I was wondering, which Sony did you have? I have a Sony 900V player, and I'm pretty happy with it other than the way it drops layers on a disc. I wondered how the two compared seeing that they are about the same amount of money.

Paul

"Everyone has to have a hobby!"
            "Everyone has to have a hobby!"

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"