X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eyalshor
    • May 2006

rotel with quad l22 speakers

my set up: quad l22, rcd 991, rb 1070 rc 1070 with vdh cables. i want to upgrade my set up, what u suggest?
  • BTB
    • Jan 2006

Hi there

What would you like to achieve by upgrading? You want to go louder, lower, bigger, better??

Comment

• eyalshor
      • May 2006

My rotel/quad setup sound good, but i want better detail and resolution. I am thinking to replace my pre/power to integrated with better sound!

Comment

• BTB
        • Jan 2006

Hi there

Don't mean to state the obvious but on a Rotel forum you're likely to get Rotel related replies, and considering that changing your amp seperates to one of Rotel's integrated models would effectively be a downgrade perhaps you might consider trying this thread on Audio hideout instead as you'll probably encounter a more open attitude towards discussing alternate brand options.

As an aside though, when I was shopping for speakers a while back I tried those Quads against a pair of B&W 603's. The Quad's sounded quite veiled, and because of their lower sensitivity did "less" (in terms of volume and "openess") with the driving amplifiers power than the B&W's did. As I said they were quite veiled and resolved less detail. Depending on how much you have to spend, it might be easier to better your speakers (clearly not in terms of finish, because those Quad's sure are beautiful, but in sonic terms) than your amps.

Regardless... if you post on Audio hideout instead, try to include more info.... budget, listening tastes, room size, sonic preferences, etc... that will help those who respond to offer better suggestions. Good luck!

Comment

• eyalshor
          • May 2006

The bw 602s were replaced to quad's l22, and i think they have better open mid and better stage with accustic and jazz music, moreover i was thinking about integrated like krell, Avi, Primare, densen. From my personal expiriment my rcd 991 is good value and also is the power amp, but i notice the pre is the weakest link in my setup. I also notice a great improvment with Vdh jublee between the cd and the pre amd using vibrapods and vibracons under cd and pre/power

Comment

• BTB
            • Jan 2006

Hi,

I couldn't agree with you more regarding your view of the RC 1070 pre as the weak link in your system... I feel exactly the same way about my one... and I agree that the power amp can stand to be used with a better quality of pre amplifier.

You have some nice options for upgrade, and changing to those will probably give you what you need, but perhaps if you simply try another pre amp with your RB 1070 you can later upgrade to a better power stage as well? That way you stay in the "seperates" loop, with all the percieved benefits of this route (greater flexiblity for future upgrades, sound quality etc...) Of course as I've said you do have some great options on your list, but maybe this way you don't have to toss the lot and start from scratch? I will probably go this route myself when I next upgrade.

As for the Quad/B&W thing, just an opinion I was sharing with you, seems we have directly opposite views regarding the relative performance of these brands, no matter, personal taste and enjoyment is what counts! Just for me an obvious place to start given how much the choice of speakers can affect the percieved performance of components upstream!

Anyway, I still think you'll get a better response on Audio Hideout, here on the Rotel board most guys will talk B&W and Rotel exclusively.

Comment

• fordster
              • Feb 2005

Quad 22L's are the 2.5 way floorstanders if I remember correctly? I'd agree that the Quads are better than B&W 6 series but the 22L's have a reputation for being hard to position due to the extra bass driver, they need plenty of free space or they can sound "muddy". Have you tried playing with the positioning of them? I'm also intrigued as to why you got the 22L over the 21L if you listen to acoustic and jazz music as I wouldn't have thought you wouldn't need the extra bottom end?
              Dave

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"