X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eyalshor
    • May 2006

better amplifier than rotel rc/rb combo

I own quad's l22 speakers with rotel rcd 991 and rotel rc/rb 1070. I also use vibrapod and vdh cables (jublee, d102 and c122 speaker cable). My room size is 6*4*3 meter and i looking for better detail, resolusion and warm. thanks for your help!
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

Bryston is the only thing that I can think of. Classe, but I think it will sound simular to the Rotel, and not give you your...... "Warm" that you were looking for.
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Suggest auditioning Ayre K-5xe preamp with Are V-5xe power amp to start; might set some good expectations about what is possible with good solid state gear.

Ayre Acoustics

For some recent 3rd party opinion, check out Sam Tellig's write up in the May 2006 Stereophile.

BTW, my opinion isn't unbiased; I have these myself, since their introduction. Very recommended.

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• BTB
        • Jan 2006

Hi eyalshor

Fancy seeing you here? How about trying some of Quad's own 99 series seperates? They have a very civilised sound and I presume might have been partly designed with speakers such as the one's you own in mind?

Otherwise I have read some pretty good reviews of the new Densen seperates and 100 wpc integrated in Hi Fi Choice recently? Apparently the integrated in particular was praised for managing to sound both analytical and musical. Most amps I've heard either pull one or the other off, but rarely both, except for some Naim seperates that I've heard, which could itself definitely be an option.

Otherwise Bryston has just recently put out a new integrated amp model with an onboard high quality DAC... therefore your existing CD player simply acts as a transport, so you effectively get a amp and CD upgrade in one shot! Apparently (again according to reviews, not heard it myself unfortunately) you'd have to own a pretty expensive CD player to better the effect of the Bryston's internal DAC.

Happy hunting!

Comment

• NMyTree
          • May 2004

I had the Quad 22L speakers.

As Jon said, Ayre makes some nice gear.

You may also want to audition the Butler Audio TDB 2250 Hybrid Amp. It seems to fit in with exactly what you're looking for, in your sound character description.
          Tony

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

What is your budget?? Do you want to change a piece at a time?

Myself, I compared the RC/RB1070 combo to a McIntosh MA6500 (integrated) and the mac was well worth the extra ca$h. That's what I got for my B&W 703's. It sounds a lot more tube-ish, sweet, musical, etc. The price went up two times since I bought it last year; I think that it is around 4k$US now. There is a new model though (MA6300) that will sell for ~3k$. Might not be your best bet if you want something "analytical" over everything else (although mac is still detailed). I also got the mac CD player and now it is all about the music, I'm happy for a while now....

Comment

• eddiem67
              • Jun 2004

You can always look at tube amps like...Manley Labs, or do you want to stick with SS
              My Car Audio

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"