When do you think we can see a replacement for the RCD-1072?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiojunky
    • Mar 2006

When do you think we can see a replacement for the RCD-1072?

I was curious to know how old is the Rotel RCD-1072 and when we might expect to get a replacement for this player?

Given the fact that the RCD-06 is only available in Europe and it has Burr--Brown 24-Bit 96 kHz sampling compared to RCD-1072's 18-bit sampling, shouldn't we be expecting a CD player from Rotel which has 24-bit sampling available in the US?
  • BTB
    • Jan 2006

If there's a sonic improvement to be had with the new 24 bit DAC over the existing 18 bit one there might be an issue. But considering that standard CD is still a 16 bit format, unless the new player upsamples to 24 bit there surely couldn't be much cause for concern?

Comment

• audiojunky
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BTB
      If there's a sonic improvement to be had with the new 24 bit DAC over the existing 18 bit one there might be an issue. But considering that standard CD is still a 16 bit format, unless the new player upsamples to 24 bit there surely couldn't be much cause for concern?
      I agree but I've heard that many CD players these days "upsample" to higher bit formats.

Comment

• BTB
        • Jan 2006

Yes, one of the (relatively) cheaper "upsampling" players out there is the dual DAC'ced CD 192 from Arcam. According to some reviews I've read the technology significantly enhances standard CD replay. I would've thought that any "additive" would be a bad thing, yet some seem to think that the improvements in filtering and error correction inherent to the upsampling concept account for the aforementioned improvement. Mostly described as a less "digital" sound.

I'm perhaps not the best person to comment on Rotel cd players though.. I'm a bigger fan of their amps than their disc spinners! :W

Comment

• grit
          • Jan 2005

I'd be more interested in seeing BETTER DACs than 24-bit DACs.

Comment

• BTB
            • Jan 2006

Yes, like the Wolfson's used in my Arcam, and the very highly regarded recent Cambridge Audio disc players.

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

Here here, that'd be what'd get me to replace it. Elsewise, my 1072 will probably be the last thing i upgrade (unless I switch to Ayre/Classe/Krell, etc).

Comment

• BWzes03
                • Oct 2005

According to Texas instruments' data sheets, the Burr-Brown PCM1732 used in the RCD-1072 is actually a 24bit/96Khz HDCD capable DAC.

Comment

• lmib
                  • Jul 2004

The RCD 06 was tested in a very wellknown german hifi magazine and got 54 Points. The RCD 1072 was already tested there a long time ago and got 57 Points. So I would say, there is no better CD Player, made by Rotel, at the moment.

But the interesting question is, when will Rotel improve the RCD 1072 or bring a new CD-Player in the 10 line. RCD 1092 for example with mp3 support and CD-Text Support and a 10 numbers keypad like the tuners have.

I love my RCD 1072 but everything can be improved.
                  The Best thing would be a CD, which is also capable to play SACD's.
                  That would be a great reason to upgrade. ;x(

Ciaó lmib
                  lmib

Comment

• audiojunky
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by lmib
                    The RCD 06 was tested in a very wellknown german hifi magazine and got 54 Points. The RCD 1072 was already tested there a long time ago and got 57 Points.
                    Do you know what some of the other similarly priced CD players such as the Rega Appolo and Arcam CD 73 or the Cambridge Audio Azur got?

Comment

• lvhung
                      • Jun 2005

RCD-1072 and RCD 06 too good
                      You should upgrade other eqquipment in your sys
                      before upgare the CD

Comment

• lmib
                        • Jul 2004

Hi Audiojunky,

the 2 Players you mentioned have not been tested in this magazine, but the predecessor of the arcam the CD72T got 55 Points and the CD92T got 58 Points.

The only Rega Player listed in their test ranking is the Planet MK2 and he got 56 Points.

I hope that helps a bit, but points are only points, you have to hear them all. The best would be under the same conditions in your own room. Your personel taste is also very important.

Good luck.

lmib
                        lmib

Comment

• BTB
                          • Jan 2006

Just for interest, the Arcam CD 72 model used Burr Brown's, I heard one (a while back) and it was good but not outstanding compared with similar DAC'ed NAD's etc... the (now not so new anymore) Wolfson DAC's have made a considerable difference to the now rebadged CD 73's performance. And has opened up a more considerable sonic gap between other similar priced CD players, interestingly enough the Cambridge budget players also use the Wolfson DAC and they too (like the CD 73) have caused quite a stir in the audio press. Maybe there is something special happening at Wolfson factory after all!!:W

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                            • Apr 2005

The RCD-1072 will need to slow down for Rotel to consider re-working it... You might be stunned to hear how many 1072 Rotel sells a month...

And in my opinion, to truly sonically improve it in such a way as to be meaningful and indisputable would be a gigantic parts cost hike...

just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"