X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stephan
    • Apr 2006

Disappointing PQ on RDV-1050

I recently got a great deal on an RSX-1056 and an RDV-1050. I'm totally satisfied with the receiver but the picture quality produced by the DVD-player is a real bummer. I have the european version and use a scart cable to connect the player to an RGB input on my Sony CRT. I also tried the S-Video cable with pretty much the same result. The picture on my 4 year old Pioneer DV-350 is way better. Did I get a lemon? Please share your experience.
  • foeth
    • Apr 2006

You may want to try component video. I switched from scart (plus tuner, I admit for the plasma) to component and the quality was much better. I have no experience with that particular player though,

Comment

• Stephan
      • Apr 2006

Hi foeth,

Thanks for your reply. I don't think it will work for me though. My tv can't handle component signal. :cry:

Comment

• sirbogey
        • Mar 2006

did you try S-Video? I own the RDV1060, the picture quality is very similar and should be excellent. Try hooking it up to a differen TV as well.

Comment

• Stephan
          • Apr 2006

Hi sirbogey,

Did you do a comparison to the 1050? For all I know the 1060 has a 12 bit/54 Mhz video-DAC while the 1050 has a 10 bit/27Mhz. Therefore I doubt that the pq is the same on both machines.

Comment

• sirbogey
            • Mar 2006

You might be right. I haven't compared it myself with my own gear, but I saw the 1050 at a friends' place. He had it hooked up to a projector, like I do, and the quality was the same. We both use S-Video. To test stuff, I sometimes buy very cheap gear (around $100) on ebay, compare it to mine and sell it on. Why don't you take your 1050 to a friend's house and hook it up to his/her TV or borrow another DVD Player. Alternatively, bring it to any dealer to run a quick check.

But in majority of picture quality issues, it's the cables. Scart is really down the line, then there is composite, s-video, and the best is component. Of course, these days there are HDMI cables.

At least try to exchange the Scart cable.

Comment

• sirbogey
              • Mar 2006

on another note, how do you hook up your 1050 to your 1056? To my knowledge, the 1056 doesn't have a scart outlet.

Comment

• Stephan
                • Apr 2006

I got my player hooked up directly to my tv. The less interference in the video signal path, the better in my opinion. I use the scart connection because that is considered the best option, slightly better than S-video and far superior to composite. Component should be better than scart. But CRT tv's don't have component inputs, at least not where I live, so I haven't had the opportunity to test the component output (yet). It really surprises me that you classify scart as 'down the line'.

As for my scart cable. It's a reasonable, good quality cable which transports a great picture from my €199 Pio to my Sony CRT. The RDV-1050 just performs less, and that to me is disappointing for a €799 player.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts, very much appreciated :T
                Last edited by Stephan; 16 May 2006, 15:02 Tuesday. Reason: typo

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

What are you seeing (or not seeing)? There may be some settings that can be tweaked. I know the sharpness setting needs to be on 1 or 2. 3 & 0 look terrible.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Stephan
                    • Apr 2006

Hi Kevin,

You're spot on. It is the lack of sharpness that bugs me. I used the 'Digital Video Essentials' DVD to optimize my settings. The sharpest picture is when sharpness is set to level 3 and that's just not sharp enough. I would say a step or two extra would do it, but that's not an option

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

On mine sharpness 3 kills the picture and 0 is a lot worse. Trying running it on 2 for a bit and see if it's better. I guess what I'm saying is 3 is sharper then 2 but does something to the picture I can't stand.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Stephan
                        • Apr 2006

I guess I'm gonna stick with the Pioneer DV-350, sell the 1050 and get a nice cd-player instead. It'll kill the 'looks' of my set though...

Comment

• weijst
                          • Jun 2004

I have had my RDV1050ES (European version) for about two months now. At purchase I compared it extensively to a RDV1060. There was no doubt; the RDV1050 simply gave a superior picture. I came from a Marantz DV6400 and all I can say is, regarding PQ, the RDV10650 is at least on par with this player.

Bottomline, I am very happy with my RDV1050.

Maybe you got a faulty unit. I would try bringing it back to the store and ask for a new one.

Good luck
                          Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Stephan
                            • Apr 2006

Thanks! That sounds hopeful. How did you set up your player? Which output do you use? What kind of monitor, a crt tv, a projector? Progressive scan yes/no? I know, I know, lots of questions, but I'd very much like to get it right.

Comment

• weijst
                              • Jun 2004

Actually I use none of the more advanced connection options; here goes:
                              - Output: SCART
                              - Monitor: 32" Sony CRT TV, 100 Hz (nothing special here)
                              - No progressive scan (can't wait to try this one out on a future LCD...)
                              - Sound: coaxial digital out

See, no surprises here. I really think you ought to consider changing your unit for another one...

For more info on the cables I'm using, see my public profile...
                              Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Stephan
                                • Apr 2006

Wow, you're exactly describing my setup. Thanks for your input. :T I'm starting to give in to the fact that maybe you're right about my 1050. I think I'm gonna have me a little chat with my supplierrrrrrr :evil:

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"