RSX-1067 or RSP-1098+RMB-1077 - what to buy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megarotel
    • May 2006

RSX-1067 or RSP-1098+RMB-1077 - what to buy?

I'm planning a new AV set,

I would like Rotel as they deliver good value for money.

I'm not sure wether i should go for the RSX-1067 or the RSP-1098 in combination with the RMB-1077 ?

Can someone give me some good advise ?

Thanks in advance,

MegaRotel
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Seperates will always get my nod Generally higher performance for one and and an easier upgrade path down the line :T
    Jason

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Separates

megarotel,

What speakers do you have or plan to have? Knowing this would be helpful. I currently have the 1068 and 1095/1080 combo. These are driving B&W N804s, HTM1 and 705's (plus a second zone). This is a VERY nice set-up. I've ordered a 1077 (and a 1066) to replace the two amps. I would recommend going separates if budget allows. Also, if you listen to radio, you'll need a tuner if you get a pre-amp like the 1098. I think the 1098/1077 combo would be sparkling. Also, the 1098 is a smaller unit that the 1067. This might be nice if you have space or ventilation issues. How would you use all of the channels (14 of them!) with the 1067/1077 combo? I will be biamping the Nautilus up front and using the 1066 to run the rears and second zone.

Per your other thread on the 1098. I believe there are enhancements tcoming to the 1098 (like HDMI). However, I believe this is slated for later this year. I'm sure someone will chime in with better information.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• foeth
        • Apr 2006

I'm not sure what the added value is of the RSP-1098 over the RSP-1068 except the TFT screen. Many owners of the 1098 commented they would choose the 1068 next time... savs some money, though it can be worthwhile to pester your friends with the added gizmo. The 1098 does have lots more second and even third zone support, if that is important. Though I have not compared the sound from one unit to the next, I've heard a lot of people saying they sound identical. I've only compared the Rotel to an Arcam and they sound.... identical (really! Quite an earopener).

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

It's pretty much agreed upon that the 1098 does 2-ch better than the 1068 plus has added functionality and the screen as you mentioned.
          Jason

Comment

• Clepto
            • Feb 2006

Also, keep in mind that if you want a tuner, you'll also need to get that along with the RSP 10x8 and RMB-1077

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Hi,

If you can afford it, the RMB-1077 is hands down a much nicer amp than the (still very good) built in amps in the 1067... Indeed a RSP-1068 + an RMB1-077 would be excellent, while the RSP-1098 + RMB-1077 (which I have) is awesome... Plus you get the advantage of separates - you can change your processor as you evolve...

One more option is the RSX-1057 for HDMI switching or the new RSX-1058(or 9 - I forget) which HDMI upscaling - plus the RMB-1077...

Geoff

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                • Apr 2006

hmmmm I want someone to try stacking 2 1077 and biamping the whole burrito. The little amp looks like it needs a companion.

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

What to buy?

I have so decided (for my personaly station):

Rotel RSP1068
                  RB 1092 for B&W703 front
                  RMB 1077 for HTM7 center & CDm7NT for surr. :T

RSP 1098 or 1068? ok, RSP1098 is better but is a money story too ;x(

and the next is the scaler Cinemateq 10input/HDMI-scart-comp./coax/
                  = pur HD 1080i and 720p really a great piece :E

Style Switzerland

Comment

• megarotel
                    • May 2006

About the speakers for the set.

First of all, thanks for the replies guys/girls :T

I'm planning a completely new set, based upon the B&W 6-series.

Front: 2x DM 604 s3
                    Center: LCR600 S3
                    Back: 2x DM601 S3
                    Back-center: 2x DM600 S3
                    sub: REL R-205

My budget is limited so that's why i go for the 6-series.

Feel free to advise if you think i'm making a mistake here :P

kind regards,

MegaRotel

Comment

• Clepto
                      • Feb 2006

Well, if you need to save a bit on speakers, to up your electronics, you could go with only a 5.1 system to start, and then pick up the surrounds or rears later...

You could also work in an upgrade, by only getting 600's for your surrounds initially, wait a bit to save up some more, and then buy a pair of 602ss for your surrounds, and then move the 600's to rear...

Or if you want to go 7.1 right away, you could try 4x 600s3 for surround and rear... Not sure what your surround music listening preference is though, so if you want to get into multichannel music, getting 602's down the road for your surrounds might be a good choice.

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

I agree, good 5.1 is better than mediocre 7.1 any day :T
                        Jason

Comment

• megarotel
                          • May 2006

5.1 to start with...

Does that mean that i can't destroy the amp. by only using 5 of the 7 channels ?

Thanks for the advise,

MegaRotel

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Actually the 5 chanels will work better as they're will be less strain on the power supply and hence more resources available to the 5 channels.
                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"