X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

RSP-1098 Up Conversion

Hi All,
    In the never ending quest to make my system easier to use for my wife and kids, I'm trying to address projector source selections. I currently have one set of component leads going from the RSP-1098 to my projector (Infocus 5700). One set of component leads from the DVD going directly to the projector, and one svideo lead going from the digital set top box directly to the projector. The VCR is switched through the RSP-1098.

For fellow RSP-1098 owners who have projectors have anyone noticed any degradation in signal quality in switching the DVD (using component inputs) through the RSP-1098 instead of going directly to the projector? If I could switch all the sources through the RSP-1098. The wife and kids would not need to set the source of the projector (S1 - DVD, S2 - DTV, S3 - VCR) when the projector starts up. I could default it to one source. I have all this programmed into my Marantz RC-5200, but the problem being that from when the projector is turned on you can't send a constant stream of commands due to the delay between starting up and the projector allowing you to select a source.

So what are peoples throughts on component input quality through the RSP-1098? If it degrades the image, I'll leave things how they are.

Thanks,
    Stephen

My Home Theatre
    My Home Theatre
  • Steve B
    • Jan 2004

I can't comment specifically on the scenario that you outlined, but I can comment on the upconversion of composite and S-video to component via the 1098.

In a word, disappointing. I have found that there is significant decrease in picture quality. I am using a Sony Wega XBR not a projector, so you might not have the same experience.

Comment

• whmacs
      • Oct 2003

Hi Steve B,
      I can live with poor composite quality as the picture from a VCR isn't great anyway. Also the digital set top box can also put out RGB (currently outputing S-Video) and I can get a RGB to component converter, so I can also eliminate S-Video, all this will fall apart however if the RSP-1098 degrades the component signal.

cheers,
      Stephen

My Home Theatre
      My Home Theatre

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Stephen,

I have my RSP-1098 doing up conversion from S-Video and processing of raw and progressive component as well as RGB converted to component and I couldn't be happier with it. The quality is good and it greatly simplifies connection to the TV etc (exactly your situation). I have all of the following through it, using all 5 video inputs:
        • Sony Progressive Scan DVD
        • Digital TV Set Top Box and Recorder through a RGB to component converted
        • Foxtel Satellite TV on S-Video
        • S-Video VCR
        • TV fed back for recording

Switching is transparent with the input.

I tried comparing raw component to component through the RSP-1098 and struggled to see the difference. S-Video is still great (not better than before but still very good). I'm sure native connections may be marginally better due to less processing - but I'm very happy.

Geoff

Comment

• whmacs
          • Oct 2003

Thanks for the advice Geoff. I also have a sony PAL progressive dvd player. What device are you using to convert RGB to component. I have a Strong 5920 PVR and it ouputs RGB as well. I'm looking for a RGB to component converter. If you think this is getting a bit off topic please email me at smacmillan@qvalent.com

cheers,
          Stephen

My Home Theatre
          My Home Theatre

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Stephen,

I too had the Strong 5290 PVR (and now the 5390) and the RBG to component converter from Hantrex Sales worked perfectly and is 100% compatable with the RSP-1098.

My dealer now sells them too!

Geoff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I've seen no problems with the 1098's switching abilities

Comment

• whmacs
                • Oct 2003

Thanks Geoff,
                One last off topic question. When you started using the RGB to component converter box from Hantrex, did you notice a picture improvement over the standard SVideo output on the Strong PVR? Ideally would like to switch this converted RGB signal through the RSP-1098. Im also hopeing that the RGB-> component converter produces a better image on the projector than the direct SVideo output.

Thanks,
                Stephen

My Home Theatre
                My Home Theatre

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Stephen,

Digital TV is very variable in quality depending on the source quality (some are old video tapes). However there is no doubt that for the highest quality pictures (movies, modern shows, live shows) a noticable improvement can be seen in Composite compared to S-Video - crisper, cleaner, especially RED and the borders of images etc. IE You wouldn't go back

You may want to try http://www.dba.org.au forums on the PVR and see others opinions.

Geoff

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"