X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattCXII
    • Feb 2004

RSX 1056 Vs. Yamaha Rx-V1300?

Hello everyone,

I came across a store in my little corner of Ontario that sold the Rotel line. I auditioned the RSX 1055 and fell in love! The only problem I currently have is that I JUST purchased the above mentioned Yamaha in December. I have to admit although I did enjoy the sound of the Yamaha in December it was not until now that I was exposed to the joy that is Rotel.

I found this reciever to be a lot brighter than mine. My Yamaha tends to be quite flat... especially in 2 channel audio. My dilema that I hope all of you can help me with is is it worth the upgrade or should I just suck it up with the Yamaha? I should mention that I have Paradigm Monitor 7's as my fronts. I have read a lot that states that the Rotel is a good match for these speakers. I love my Paradigms but I do not enjoy the flat 2 channel stero I get from them with the Yamaha. Is it true that Rotel is a good match for these speakers?

All comments would be GREATLY appreciated. I am going to wait 'till the 1056 comes available in my area (next month) before I make any moves. Thanks in advance!

P.S. This is a fantastic site full of so much information!

MattCXII
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

That's a tough one.... IMO the Rotel is a better machine and you said your self your not as happy with the Yamaha's musical performance... What it comes down to is that it's your money, you have to decide if it's worth it or not. I can tell you that it's very likley you'll always have this nagging feeling of missing something when listening to music...could become quite bothersome.... It's unfortunate you had to go this route. Just proof that listeing to all your available options is the only way to be happy. It's a hard and expensive lesson to learn. :?

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Matt you'll have to realize that you're surrounded by people that LOVE Rotel so we might all be a little biased with our replies

That said if you really find the Rotel to sound better you might as well give in and get one otherwise you'll just learn to hate your system and that's not what this hobby is about.

Comment

• MattCXII
        • Feb 2004

Yes it is a very unfortunate lesson to learn. As it stands I still want to listen to an equally priced Arcam. Do you know much about Paradigms and what a good match for these speakers is? As I mentioned earlier I have read that the Rotel line is great.

Thanks.

Matt

Comment

• MattCXII
          • Feb 2004

Andrew,

I guess that is the main reason why I came to this page. I wanted someone to help to justify this purchase for me. I was expecting a very Pro-Rotel response and that is what I think I wanted. I love the reciever but am still curious about what the Arcam will be like as well as what the improvments will be on the 1056. If you could point me to a page on this reciever (more than what the Rotel page has on it) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

On which receiver the 1068? That might be difficult since its only just been released. I do think that at least one member got his though so you're likely best off asking him your questions.

Another alternative might be to buy a Rotel power amp and continue using your yammie as a pre amp for now...then later add the Rotel pre amp...that'll cost more but you could do it one piece at a time.

As for Paradigm its a great match with Rotel.

The Arcam's have a decent rep but one thing to factor in is support. Rotel's support both via email and this user community is second to none and we can really help you get the most out of your Rotel purchases...that may not be the case with an Arcam unit that's relatively unknown on this side of the pond.

Comment

• MattCXII
              • Feb 2004

I think I might have someone interested in the Yamaha for 700 Canadian. I might just sell it to him and go with the 1056. I would loose some money on the deal but you know what they say... a lesson learned.

Now that I have your attention, what is the upgrade capabilities of the 1056? I am relatively new to the HT world but am sucking up information on a daily basis. I have always been interested in it but now I have a job in which I can afford a little more finer products. I love the fact that you can upgrade with firmware and from what I understand I can purchase a 2 channel amp to upgrade to 7.1 if I choose. As I am very new any information on the upgrading possibillities would be a huge help to me in order to make my final decision.

Thanks!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Matt don't think of the upgrade capability as a way of really upgrading but more of a way for Rotel to tweak its products. By that I mean typically the firmware's that are released change existing functions to better suit our needs and every now and then we get a totally new function (like PLIIx). The 1098 is card based in design though so technically if Rotel were so inclined they could issue a new card to truely upgrade our processors to handle and new video connection etc but I believe the 1098's the only card based model at the moment

Comment

• MattCXII
                  • Feb 2004

True enough. Thanks for all the info Andrew. I can't wait for the 1056 to come available in my area! All I can currently afford is the entry level, but hey, half the fun is upgrading!

Thanks again,

Matt

Comment

• Matt Zielinski
                    • Feb 2004

Hey Matt,
                    You will not be disappointed with Rotel.
                    Let us know how you did with your buy of 1056. Also you can check out store in Brampton Canadian Sound [http://www.canadiansound.com/] they are big in Rotel that’s where I got my 1098/1075/1050 great Pre/pro it was an upgrade from Onkyo 8.2.
                    BDW, if you would like an update to yours at later date I have a 2 channel RB-1050 for sale and I can drop it off at your place too.
                    Good Luck
                    Matt

Matt
                    Room 11x22x7.5
                    Rotel-1098/1075/1050
                    Sony-KF50WE610/DVP-S7700
                    ExpressVu Dish and HD cable Box
                    B&W speakers: CDM 9NT; HTM7; CDM SNT
                    Matt
                    Room 11x22x7.5
                    Rotel-1098/1075/1050
                    Sony-KF50WE610/DVP-S7700
                    ExpressVu Dish and HD cable Box
                    B&W speakers: CDM 9NT; HTM7; CDM SNT

Comment

• MattCXII
                      • Feb 2004

If you still have the 2 channel amp when I am looking to move to 7.1 I will drop you a line.

Thanks a ton,

matt

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"