Is the Rotel RCD-1072 better than the $4K Krell SACD standard?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiojunky
    • Mar 2006

Is the Rotel RCD-1072 better than the $4K Krell SACD standard?

I spent the better part of the day comparing the Rotel RCD-1072 and the Krell SACD standard.

Both were running on the Krell 400Xi integrated amplifier and B&W 804s speakers.

Here are some of the music I used to compare the 2:

1) Diana Krall
    2) Queen
    3) Dave Brubeck
    4) Yanni
    5) Dire Straits

While the Krell SACD standard was definitely crisper and clearer, the Rotel sounded a lot warmer and less harsh than the Krell. I sounded a lot more musical...

The Krell was extremely revealing - to a fault. It almost made the music sound unmusical. I don't really know how to explain it - but the warmth was missing and it sounded almost mechanical/ industrial.

Bottom line, if I did a blind test between the 2, I would have probably selected the Rotel over the 6 times more expensive Krell.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

AudioJunky,

I know what you mean - the Absolute Sound didn't give the RCD-1072 it's "Product of the Year" for nothing... While there are better CD players - the RCD-1072 humbles many much more expensive players for shear musicality...

Geoff

Comment

• kurtholz
      • Feb 2005

well, another point of view, as i have listened to both in home extensively, the Krell did sound harsh to me, up to the point i was able to provide a total synergy of Krell processor,amp, etc to complete the chain, at that point i felt it really was an over-achiever, the demons left at that point

:-)

Rotel is a very decent player in my opinion,and did produce very warm sound,certainly easier to pair with less expensive amps etc, but i felt a tad to much grain to the sound, just my tastes run different, i would go with something different, the sony 9000es is also a great player, see them all over ebay under $2000

if you can go Krell Home theater standard amp,processor, it's sacd player takes on a whole new life

you dont see many for sale for a reason,

good luck whichever way you go

Kurt

Comment

• audiojunky
        • Mar 2006

Thanks for the feedback!

I guess in the end it is a very subjective topic (just like speakers).

It may be a good thing that my ears prefer a $700 CD player compared to a $4K CD player

On another note, the new Shanling CD player is truly a piece of art - too bad it doesn't sound half as good as it looks.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"