X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kurtholz
    • Feb 2005

choosing an SACD player

Hi all

I was hoping to get some input on something to play SACD, i have an Arcam dv29 which is excellent for DVD/DVD-A, along with the normal CD formats, but , since SACD seems to be winning the war, i need to choose one,

unfortunately, where i live there are few choices, Krell sacd standard, and the Sony 9000es seem to be at the price and point of diminishing returns that is comfortable for me

any others i should consider? the Shanling looks like a good bet, but no chance i can demo one, so hoping on some input

thanks in advance

Kurt
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

5.1, or stereo only?

Comment

• gd
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by kurtholz
      Krell sacd standard, and the Sony 9000es seem to be at the price and point of diminishing returns that is comfortable for me... any others i should consider? the Shanling looks like a good bet
      Isn't the Shanling priced similarly as the Sony or Krell?

What's your budget?

Unless you demand the very best, you don't lose much with Marantz at way less than half the cost.

There's also Music Hall at Marantz's price point, but I haven't heard it, and it seems to get sorta lukewarm reviews.
      greg (gd to you)
      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• kurtholz
        • Feb 2005

Hi all

I would like to use my spare analog and do 5.1, but 2 channel is OK also, just can't seem to get 100% on the 2 channel bandwagon,

the arcam is using my 7.1 analog inputs, so i think i can use my other inputs for another player using multi inputs ( 5.1)

( that makes sense right?)

price range, i really would like to keep it under $6000, also i would like to find a nice clean used something to save even more money

thanks again

Kurt

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Moving since Rotel doesn't even have an SACD player..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Vinny
            • Mar 2006

Take a look at Marantz SA8260? I never get a chance to but there are reviews around and good comments on this forum as well. Used market is around 700 for the unit which is not too expensive for unseen future with new formats could pop out with the HD-DVD/Bluray stuff
            Pioneer KRP-500M
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Parasound 5125
            Oppo BDP-83
            Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
            SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• nyny
              • Jul 2004

Kurt,

If you are OK with 2-channel only SACD player, then I would highly recommend the Marantz SA-11S1. It's a phenomenon SACD/CD player that can be had for half of your budget.

Cheers,
              Tony
              Tony

Comment

• Alloroc
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

$6000 will get you a lot of player. A couple of players come to mind are :

Eoteric X-03. I have one. Very, very happy with it. Very flexible also. Expensive, but you may be able to get one discounted.

The Lindemann 820 SACD. It's is a really interesting player and should fall into your price bracket. Can't imagine that you'll have easy access to one though.

My final disk spinner is the Ayre C-5xe. Stereo only but a fantastic player.

I have a Marantz DV8400 udp and that performs very well for SACD. It helped me make my decision to by the Esoteric. There are very different players though. The Esoteric is by far the most impressive player I've heard bar a few really, really hing end players.
                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• kurtholz
                  • Feb 2005

Hi all

thanks so much for the help, i have read a lot recently on the Esoteric and the Ayre units, since i have a very good digital player, i am leaning towards a tube something, so Shanling,Cary fit in my range, actually a could get both modified and be under budget

but that Esoteric haunts me, so many rave reviews on that

Vince, you have FOUR players, i am so happy to find someone sicker than me

hahahha

regards to all for the help

Kurt

Comment

• Phil Rose
                    • Aug 2000

I have the Sony SCD-XA90000ES and really like it. The multi-channel features are great with both level and time correction. On 2-channel multiple DACs are run in parallel for lower noise.

If you go back into the Stereophile archives and look at the reviews this player was very well thought of compared to the Krell, Linn and others reviewed at the same time. It's still rated as an A+ SACD player along with some very expensive players from other manufacturers.

If you're not concerned you can get one used on Audiogon but, they can be had for much less than MSRP new. I got mine for about 30% off NIB.

Comment

• Hermie
                      • Jan 2006

Hi Kurt..
                      You can check this out "Spark Cayin CDT-17A"

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Phil Rose
                        I have the Sony SCD-XA90000ES and really like it. The multi-channel features are great with both level and time correction. On 2-channel multiple DACs are run in parallel for lower noise.

If you go back into the Stereophile archives and look at the reviews this player was very well thought of compared to the Krell, Linn and others reviewed at the same time. It's still rated as an A+ SACD player along with some very expensive players from other manufacturers.

If you're not concerned you can get one used on Audiogon but, they can be had for much less than MSRP new. I got mine for about 30% off NIB.
                        Yup. Still a great SACD player.

Kal
                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• lovepianos
                          • Apr 2006

Kurt- the Denon 3910 Universal player is awesome!

I bought a new Denon 3910 player a few months ago after reading the review on it from Audioholics. It sounds superb! It plays SACD's, DVD-Audio discs, HDCD discs and CD's of course - also it is an excellent video DVD player as well.
                          Here's the link to the review at Audioholics.
                          Denon surprised us recently when they told us that their new DVD-3910 universal DVD player was essentially the former flagship DVD-5900 player (with a slightly scaled down power supply) and a whole

It won their product of the year award, so it's no slouch. You can find it on Pricegrabber for around 1k.
                          - Ted.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"